John Warner Geils, Founder of the J. Geils Band, dies at 71

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by bradl, Apr 12, 2017.

1. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Surprised no-one picked up on this one yet.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thereco...eils-guitarist-of-the-j-geils-band-dies-at-71

BL.

2. eRondeau macrumors 6502a

eRondeau

I've been fortunate to see a lot of concerts in my life but I regret I never saw the J. Geils Band live. I love all their music; they're a band that clearly loved playing for a crowd. In his heyday Peter Wolf was the ultimate frontman, and band namesake J. Geils was happy to defer to him. If there are any other Canadians reading this, Peter Wolf and Gord Downie are two of a kind. Intelligent, literate, yet remarkably humble poetic vocalists backed by a kick-a** rock n' roll band. Sad that there are fewer and fewer of those around anymore.

3. Tinmania macrumors 68040

Tinmania

It's a shame that many of the articles focus primarily on the band in the 1980's, with Centerfold and Freeze-Frame. To me that era was not the band as I like to think of them, but rather a last gasp at pop success before disintegrating. At least this NPR article does say they were "one of the more popular rock bands of the 1970s."

Mike

4. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

Well, they did the blues, the reds and the pinks, so all they can say is...

Love stinks. :D

BL.

5. JackieInCo macrumors 601

For many people, the 80s was the period when the J. Geils Band did exist. I knew nothing of them after OR before those first several hits from the early 80s.

6. Tinmania macrumors 68040

Tinmania

Then you didn't know them at all.

Mike

7. JackieInCo macrumors 601

Clearly. I grew up listening to rock (I'm 53) and still listen to all the classic rock channels/stations. I don't recall ever hearing J. Geils played ever until the 80s.

8. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

I can say I didn't know them, except for the few songs they played on MTV and the radio. Either way, sad to hear about the passing of one the key members of the band.