Johnny Depp Flirts With Idea of Trump Assassination

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by yaxomoxay, Jun 23, 2017.

1. Stefan johansson macrumors 65816

Stefan johansson

Well,guess it's different in a republic. Here,he would have been reported for something called "majestic crime",if someone had taken it seriously.

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Good god. What a twat.

Well it appears he may beat his wife so...

3. citizenzen macrumors 65816

You can't say things like that in public. I've actually had friends, co-workers and other people close to me say the same thing privately, but you simply can't air that publicly.

4. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

I really don't understand why prominent people keep doing this. Nuggent, that comedian who's name I can't remember, now this guy.

I guess you don't have to be too bright to be famous.

5. yaxomoxay thread starter macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

For real

6. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

He's lost it. Of course that assumes he ever had it.

7. CaptMurdock macrumors 6502a

CaptMurdock

*sigh* Johnny, Johnny, Johnny... *smh*

Truly not helpful in this political climate.

Gotta say, though...all that talk about "2nd Amendment Solutions" that were bandied about a few years back, was bound to snap back...

8. iMi macrumors 65816

iMi

I love how the same people who are outraged right now were silent when Trump suggested his political opponent would be assassinated by his supporters, should she win. Or when he suggested he could murder someone in broad daylight on 5th avenue and get away with it.

Please... I hope Trump chokes on his own vomit and dies.

9. Morpheo macrumors 65816

Morpheo

Yup, look at your President!
    --- Post Merged, Jun 23, 2017 ---
    +1000.

...They're gonna say he was talking figuratively or something.

10. BeeGood, Jun 23, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2017

BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

I put Trump in the same category after his second amendment comment aimed at Hillary....

...And apparently, you're no better than he is.

11. iMi macrumors 65816

iMi

I despise him, but I would never suggest someone should harm him or threaten to assassinate him. I said I hope he chokes. Maybe that makes me a jerk, sure. But I am a nobody venting on a mac forum. He was the leading presidential candidate with real influence and a following in the millions.

To be in that position and suggest someone should kill his political opponent? There is a massive difference here. Dude, seriously. That is unprecedented. Imagine if President Obama made a similar comment. The GOP would have impeached him, I guarantee it. That's the point here. The standards are so different for Republican politicians and for Democrats.

A Republican, as it turns out, can actually beat the living **** out of a reporter and still get elected. If he was a Democrat, he would be headed to prison, not the Capital Hill. Although, now that I think about it, both places are full of criminals, so maybe that's okay.

12. Fancuku macrumors 6502a

Fancuku

13. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

I think that's splitting hairs. Wishing death upon someone is no different than saying you would like to kill someone. Either way you want someone to be dead.

By your rationale, what Trump said is actually less inflammatory because he never said that he personally wanted to kill Hillary. I'm sure you wouldn't agree with that conclusion but that's exactly where your line of thinking would take you.

Also, if something is wrong, it's simply wrong. It can't be wrong for one person but OK for someone else. I hold Trump to the same moral standard that I hold my neighbor. He's not God (thank God for that)...he's a man just like me.

If a democrat, running for a seat in a blue district, with all of the absentee ballots counted, would have body slammed a reporter, I'm sure the democrat would still have won. Math is math regardless of what "team" you're on. I'm really not sure why you're making a partisan argument here.

14. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 603

The-Real-Deal82

Well this thread is a lot more hysterical than Johnny on the Glasto stage. It hasn't got much of a reaction this side of the pond.

15. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

just look at our POTUS :p

16. iMi macrumors 65816

iMi

You do make some completing arguments, especially about the election. I don't agree with you about Trump's comments. But that's okay.

17. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

you want trump to choke but expect others to condemn Nuggent? :rolleyes:

18. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

Fantastic point, a suggestion made frequently during the Obama Administration, which I condemned, and likewise there is no room for this kind of talk even if it is directed at our National Disaster. :(

19. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Well, 'Merica IS a Republic. Our pledge of allegiance states:

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America,
    and to the Republic for which it stands,
    one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

There is a YUGE difference between a Democracy and a Republic.

The short version: in a Democracy the majority rules, the minorities are screwed. (4 wolves and a sheep deciding on dinner. The sheep has no say beyond his vote). In a Republic, the majority rules, but the minority are protected. (4 wolves and a sheep deciding on dinner. If the majority decides the sheep is dinner, the sheep must consent to be dinner).

Article 4, section 4, clause 1 of the Constitution requires a State have a republican (not democratic) form of government before being admitted into the Union.

TLDR; The United States is a Republic.

As Johnny Depp's question. I only know of one case where an actor assassinated a sitting POTUS: John Wilkes Booth killing Honest Abe Lincoln.

20. iMi macrumors 65816

iMi

Yes? Or does that make me a hypocrite? I definitely got carried away there :D

I really, really, really don't like him. Why couldn't republicans nominate John Kasich, for example. You know, someone sane.

21. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

because the DNC wanted Trump
    http://observer.com/2016/10/wikileaks-reveals-dnc-elevated-trump-to-help-clinton/

Karma gave the democrats a taste of what Bernie felt :D that "Burn" is not going away anytime soon.

22. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

After all the commotion over Kathy Griffin, you'd think that Depp would have checked himself, but I guess not. No one should be saying such things.

I wonder what Disney's reaction will be now? He does a lot of work with them.

23. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

"You're fired"
    Wouldn't that be ironic.