Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following a report last week that Apple's chipmaking chief Johny Srouji was on Intel's list of candidates for CEO, The Motley Fool's Ashraf Eassa says that Srouji has informed his team that he will be staying at Apple.

srouji_apple.jog_.jpg

Eassa, who follows Intel very closely, has offered no other details on the situation, so it's unclear whether Srouji was never seriously considered, withdrew his name, or was passed over as Intel narrowed its list.

I've heard that Johny Srouji is NOT a candidate for $INTC CEO. He apparently told his staff that he's not going anywhere. $AAPL - Ashraf Eassa (@TMFAshrafEassa) January 26, 2019

Srouji spent over a decade at Intel from 1993 to 2005, bookended by a couple of brief stints at IBM. He joined Apple in 2008 to lead development of Apple's custom A-series chips starting with the A4 that appeared in the iPhone 4.

Since late 2015, Srouji has been a member of Apple's senior executive staff, reporting directly to Tim Cook and overseeing Apple's custom work on batteries, application processors, storage controllers, sensors silicon, display silicon, and other chipsets.

Article Link: Johny Srouji Reportedly Staying at Apple, Not in the Running for Intel CEO

igneousc

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2011
oh thank god, he could have done some great work at Intel, but his impact at apple is far more important.

Reactions: The Barron

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Makes sense. Apple has its own unique culture, and I doubt Srouji would have been able to replicate it anyways had he jumped ship to another company.

Reactions: RandomDSdevel

Cosmosent

macrumors 68020
Apr 20, 2016
La Jolla, CA
RE: "Since late 2015, Srouji has been a member of Apple's senior executive staff, reporting directly to Tim Cook and overseeing Apple's custom work on batteries, application processors, storage controllers, sensors silicon, display silicon, and other chipsets."

Then he is the ONE who is Responsible for figuring-out what's wrong with the A12 Performance Controller & it's associated low-level OS software in the XR !

Camera Ramp-Up Perf is ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE compared to the 7+, which is a Gem !

My XR has less than 1/2 the Perf of my 7+ when using the Camera !

IMO, the true street value of my XR is less than 1/2 of what I paid for my 7+ when new, $769 USD.

That number is $384.50 USD ! ... that's what I think an XR is worth ! ... it's true worth !!

Reactions: Ramchi

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
RE: "Since late 2015, Srouji has been a member of Apple's senior executive staff, reporting directly to Tim Cook and overseeing Apple's custom work on batteries, application processors, storage controllers, sensors silicon, display silicon, and other chipsets."
Then he is the ONE who is Responsible for figuring-out what's wrong with the A12 Performance Controller & it's associated low-level OS software in the XR !
Camera Ramp-Up Perf is ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE compared to the 7+, which is a Gem !
My XR has less than 1/2 the Perf of my 7+ when using the Camera !
IMO, the true street value of my XR is less than 1/2 of what I paid for my 7+ when new, $769 USD.
That number is $384.50 USD ! ... that's what I think an XR is worth ! ... it's true worth !!

I love my XR, just wish it were smaller. I don't notice any slowness with the camera at all.

Reactions: vmistery

cameraobscura

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2018
Apples problems are hardware and software integrated... Him staying is his own space. Intel Chips are always ok. Happy he stayed on board. Maybe he can 'Old School' Apple into re-inventing again.

BigBoy2018

Suspended
Oct 23, 2018
Makes sense. Apple has its own unique culture, and I doubt Srouji would have been able to replicate it anyways had he jumped ship to another company.

Ah, so I guess you worked at both Apple and Intel then and can surmise that no one acclimated to the 'Apple' culture could feel comfortable in the 'Intel' culture?
[doublepost=1548506085][/doublepost]

Last edited:
Reactions: PC_tech

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
You do know "Big Blue" is IBM right?

The same IBM Apple just partnered with:

https://appleinsider.com/articles/1...xpands-with-new-machine-learning-integrations

IBM and Apple don't really compete in anything. Apple pulled out of the dedicated server hardware market 9 years ago when Xserve was discontinued and IBM pulled out of the consumer hardware market 14 years ago when Lenovo acquired ThinkPad.

IBM makes a lot of software that could be said to compete with stock Mac software... but as Apple's stuff is free and not on Windows, I think IBM views Microsoft's Office and Exchange as the competition in that domain. I don't think anyone is split between whether to use iWork or Lotus/IBM Notes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.