Joining the ranks of the unemployeed and lost on what to do.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Rodimus Prime, Feb 27, 2009.

1. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

So long story short I was layed off today and it sucks yes.

I am lost on what to do for the next step since I really only been out of school a year. I did leave on good terms and they said they told me use them as a reference.

Other wise I really do not know what to do and could use some help.

2. kitki83 macrumors 6502a

Dont worry you are not alone and its not you but the economy.

Here are some tips I can offer that is applicable to all professionals:
    1. Do a budget, honestly see what you have saved, what are the expenses. Start trimming the fat like cable, strip clubs, anything that is a luxury.

2. Contact any credit/loan companies you have a balance with since you just graduated from school you may have loans. Talk to them and be honest about your situation and see what they can help you with.

3.Start working on your resume. Based on what you said this lay off was a surprise. So instead of sleeping in wake up as though you are going to work go to some free wifi location (library) and begin revising that resume. Best advice to update resume is get all press release/articles on your company to get ideas flowing.

4. This may take you up to 6months so don't get impatient.

Good luck with everything

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Email EVERY company to ask for a position. Don't go for the "help wanted" adverts, because that's where everyone goes.

4. MHardee macrumors newbie

I was also caught up (Jan 30).. I've been in the printing business for 35 years, do not have a Bachelors degree, but DO have a lot of on the job experience. I've been in hands-on management for the last 20 years. Printing is about dead in my area, so, I do not know what to do..

I've had a couple of nibbles, but, they are all out of town or out of state and would require relocation.. I can't even seem to get any "side work"..

Trying to cram with tutorials on Dreamweaver, php, SQL to try and get a grip.. I've been involved in specific fields so long, I've missed learning other things..

I feel your pain as well...

Slowly getting discouraged in Memphis.....

5. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

I suggest you research the companies in your area who employ people that do the type of work you want to do. After you have learned a little about how a company operates, you should personally contact the supervisor in the company who would oversee the work you would do if hired and has the authority to hire you, and tell them that you would like to meet with them and learn more about what their company does in preparation for possibly applying for a position now or in the future in your field of interest. Make it sound like you want to interview them instead of having them interview you. Do this even if they tell you that they are not hiring. If they really like you they often will find a way to hire you even if they have to create another position for you. It also keeps you engaged in the job search and creates great contacts for future opportunities. It is important for you to feel like you are doing something constructive in terms of getting reemployed and moving forward. You will be amazed at how fast things will begin to break your way if you actually get inside the employing organizations and talk to those who have the ability to hire you. GOOD LUCK; YOU WILL FIND WORK SOON.

6. thefnshow macrumors regular

while doing all of that don't forget to get set up on unemployment...it's not a lot of money but it helps

7. Rodimus Prime thread starter macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Well it does suck but I do have a few good things going for me.

1. No debt.

2. Savings I have roughly 5 months in cash right now and after my check next week that will include all my vacation for 09 plus this week pay that will put me at a little over 6 months expense with out trimming any fat and I do plan on doing some fat trimming.

3. I do still have my parents to help support me if push comes to shove.

Right now my current plan is fly tomorrow to see my parents (free southwest flight) and I will say there for a week or so and get some type of plan. After that may go see my girlfriend for a little bit and visit the career center at the college I graduated from. That should at least get my resume updated.

Current floating ideas with no real direction,

1. Take this as a chance to go back to school at get a 2nd bachelor degree in Management Information Systems (MIS).

2. Look for work in Construction management, I least I am coming off a company that does large projects and easier to move to small.

3. Just get smaller jobs for a while trying to slow the bleed off my savings until I find something better.

8. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

Ok, sure it sucks to get laid off. But, there ARE jobs out there......even a 10% unemployment rate means that 90% (aka; most people) are still employed. It's NOT like NOBODY has work.

The world hasn't ended. You're just going to have look for another job. You found one before, you'll find one again......just don't give into the "woe is me!" self-pity mind frame which is your worst enemy at this point.

You're in the construction industry? Well, every recession hits the construction industry hard, so take this as a lesson for the future. Busy and slow periods are something you're going to have to be prepared to deal with your whole working life.

Look to your strengths and figure out how to present them in the best way you can. Ask friends and people you've meet in the past year if they know of companies that are busy. Right now somebody is busy and needs another employee; you just have to find that company.

A year ago, you were a college student with no experience? Well, now you have a years worth of work experience and a leg up on all those soon to graduate kids with no experience. Put that to your advantage. Be positive and treat your job hunt like a new adventure.