Joint Statement on U.S.-Mexico Relations

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by yaxomoxay, Jan 27, 2017.

1. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

The White House
    Office of the Press Secretary
    For Immediate Release
    January 27, 2017

Joint Statement on U.S.-Mexico Relations
    The United States President Donald J. Trump and Mexican President Enrique Peña Nieto spoke by phone this morning for an hour. The call was mutually arranged by their teams.

The two had a productive and constructive call regarding the bilateral relationship between the two countries, the current trade deficit the United States has with Mexico, the importance of the friendship between the two nations, and the need for the two nations to work together to stop drug cartels, drug trafficking and illegal guns and arms sales.

With respect to payment for the border wall, both presidents recognize their clear and very public differences of positions on this issue but have agreed to work these differences out as part of a comprehensive discussion on all aspects of the bilateral relationship.

Both presidents have instructed their teams to continue the dialogue to strengthen this important strategic and economic relationship in a constructive way.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 27, 2017 ---
    Jesus, I can't believe that the Mexican team accepted this statement.

2. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

The only one who loses in any hard line on Mexico from the US is Mexico. They know it. Their pride may not met them acknowledge it, but they know it. I'm down there every few months and it's very clear how much they need the US.

3. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

They have no choice but to accept it.

4. yaxomoxay thread starter macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

Like this? No no.
    Now I understand why my Mexican friends tell me that Nieto is a corrupt imbecile (I have no personal judgment).

5. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

The wall does not stop trade; it prevents illegal aliens from illegally sneaking into our country.

NAFTA stops trade; well, it actually creates a one-way vacuum sucking American jobs to Mexico. Once Trump smashes NAFTA trade can resume on an equitable level.

6. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

The wall + deportation + less illegals takes away their number one resource.

7. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

If it's truly joint Trump has played well.

8. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

9. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

NPR

10. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

Not calling cheeto hitler a liar BUT. I would like to sees transcripts of the call

11. yaxomoxay thread starter macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

Wait 50 years or so.

12. macmee Suspended

macmee

When the biggest bully of a country on earth is telling you what to do, usually you don't say no.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 27, 2017 ---
    based on what we know about trump, he probably bragged about winning the election for 55 minutes, and about policy for 5 minutes at the end.

13. yaxomoxay thread starter macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

Meh, I think that Nieto is having serious problems at home, and Carlos Slim didn't help for sure.

ahahah, now I give you that this is quite a possible scenario.