Jon is Gold! Jon Stewart Rips up fox news

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by macfan881, Oct 29, 2009.

1. macfan881 macrumors 68020

2. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Jon has actually had some heavy cred as a news critic ever since he went on Crossfire and asked Paul Begala and Tucker Carlson, point blank and deadly serious, why they turned the news into a farcical shouting match five nights a week.

So when Jon does a story like this, it may be wrapped up in comedy, but you know he's just as serious as he was on Crossfire. This was his most direct and comprehensive commentary on Fox "News" yet. Terrific job on his part. Thanks for sharing. :)

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Yes, yes it was. It was also sad to see just how crappy Faux News really is. What a tragic joke.

4. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

The funny part is the "who the **** are these people?" are the ones I usually see if I happen to turn the tv on during the morning. Its fairly obvious that glen beck, oreilly, hannity, and others are there for ratings and opinion led segments, they are hired as personalities not as news reporters. It seems to work as they are blowing the rest of the news stations out of the water.

5. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Repeat after me: Fax noos bad....Fax noos bad....Fax noos bad....

6. toontra macrumors 6502

Claiming Fox is a news channel is like claiming cigarettes are good for your health.

7. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

The same could be said for quite a few other channels, id rather have both left and right leanings than just one.

8. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

The last minute or so was good. The bit about fox "news" using fox "opinions" as a source.

9. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

There is a stark difference between leaning one way or the other, which is fine, and manufacturing fake news to push an agenda.

10. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Manufacturing fake news, diluting real news or not reporting it at all.. whats the difference?

11. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

You're seriously asking that question? :confused:

Conjuring up faux outrage over stories they create themselves, you really don't see anything wrong about that?

12. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Just contrasting it against what others do while on honeymoon with Obama. They are both pushing an agenda. Its just a different type of spin. I wouldn't consider fox MSNBC or CNN to be news worthy.

13. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Spin VS MAKING **** UP....hmmmm:rolleyes:

14. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Very rarely have I seen them make something out of thin air, its usually a cut from something lengthier portrayed as something bad aka spin.

I would consider omitting on the same scale as manufacturing when it comes to news though.

15. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Did you watch the video at all? There is a perfect example right there.

As for omitting vs manufacturing, I agree 100%, provided that what was omitted was actually newsworthy in the first place.

16. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

No -they just shouldn't claim to be a news channel, when they clearly are not.

17. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Shepard Smith would beg to differ with you.

Now excuse me I have to get back to watching Rachel Maddow. :eek:

18. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

They do report news during the day believe it or not :eek: they actually get quite a few child abduction cases out on air which could potentially help save those kids.

19. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Let's face it, there is very little objective news anymore. Growing up, I has teh newspaper, 30 minutes of local TV news, and 30 minutes of national TV news. That model served us well.

There is just not enough news in the world to fill 24 hrs of newscasts. So, slowly, we have slipped into info-tainment. Live cuts to car chases or the balloon boy may be exciting, but they don't constitute news. News should serve up facts, allowing the viewer to draw conclusions. Anything that resembles an opinion is an editorial.

What scares me is the populace is VERY manipulatable, and frankly stupid. Lest we think we are immune to mass hysteria and become reactionary need look to the McCarty Era, our post 911 isolationism, and many other examplet to see we, as a society, can go off the deep end. Enough momentum to the left, and yes, we could slip toward populist uprisings that mirror China's history. Enought momentum to the right and we could end up with fervent myopic nationalism that gave power to the Nazi party.

Unfortunately, what drives ratings is the polarizing rantings that contutute "news" these days.

20. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Bingo! 24 hour news is a big part of the problem. I mean, come on, just how many strategists does each party have and do we really need to hear each of their screed on a daily basis?

People watch Beck and actually believe that no other news organization or "reporter" has the balls to "report" what Beck does.

Sad.

Pretty damn sad that Jon Stewart reports as much, or more, truth than the news networks.

21. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. I was wondering when the daily anti-Fox News posts would continue.;)

22. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I disagree that there isn't enough news to fill 24 hours of newscasts, rather there isn't 24 hours of easily digestible facts designed to entertain us. There is an entire world out there with 6+ billion people, multiple and serious conflicts, ethnic tensions, environmental stories, science stories, but most of it is left on the cutting room floor in order to repeat the same few tabloid stories over and over again.
    Or to present talking heads as "journalists" who just read the blog feeds or twitter, and then create stories out of whole cloth based on their own structural biases.

None of this is news.

I agree and this is why I'm so highly critical of Fox News, because they're currently leading the other networks in both ratings and insane "top this" belligerence all the while smashing the idea of journalism into a little pulp, so broken down we can barely recognize journalism when it's really being done.

For anyone in this thread, if you watch the Fuzzy Onion, the Twitter Network, or the Microsoft Channel, you're part of the problem.

Stop it. Stop feeding the beast. Stop eating junk food.

23. toontra macrumors 6502

That's the whole point of the Stewart piece - it's the thin smattering of actual news mixed in with the editorial that gives it the veneer of respectability that it certainly does not deserve.

24. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I think it's important to call them out. They claim to be "fair and balanced", which is a complete lie.