Jon stewart and Donald Trump.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by blackfox, Jun 12, 2019.

1. blackfox, Jun 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2019

blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

So, I will say I don't have a great track-record with posting threads, nor do I usually feel the need. Yet, here I go again. First: link to Stewarts' speech to Congress about 9/11 first responder funding https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/...=513d8774053828919d1c8325ade13df8&action=view Secondly, Trumps' response (via twitter):
    "I promise you that I’m much smarter than Jonathan Leibowitz - I mean Jon Stewart @TheDailyShow. Who, by the way, is totally overrated.

— Donald J. Trump (@RealDonaldTrump) April 24, 2013" Now, you may feel a certain way about Stewart, or about Trump. Yet it seems unassailable that Stewart did a good deed on an issue he feels strongly about, and Trump just couldn't help but respond in a rather dickish way. The funding was passed - so good. AFAIK, Stewart got nothing out of it except the funding being passed. Trump: no thank you, nothing but an undeserved insult. This is the POTUS. You wonder why many of us dislike him so much. Is our Republic such that a Comedian has to go before Congress to shame them into doing one of the few slam-dunk partisan agreement issues left, then be made fun of by the sitting President? Could you imagine another President responding in such a manner? Comments?

2. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

Was that specific Trump tweet a response to Stewart’s 9/11 first responder advocacy or just to Stewart’s treatment of Trump on the Daily Show? I honestly do not recall this specific tweet, but I thought that Trump’s attacks in Stewart were far more based on things Stewart (entirely justifiably) said about Trump. That said, Trump’s references to Stewart as Jonathan Leibowitz, here and elsewhere, were naked anti-Semitism, pure and simple.

3. blackfox thread starter macrumors 65816

blackfox

Well, in fairness...I made a mistake. The quote from trump was from 6 years ago. Jon Stewart and Trump had a tiff in 2016 also. Yet, the narrative of my thread kinda falls apart with that explanation - I should've paid attention. A giant whoops on my part. That said, Trump aside - how does someone like Jon Stewart have to come to Congress to make them do the obvious right thing? #salvagethread.

4. Crowbot macrumors 6502

Crowbot

We've all done that. :oops:

Comedians know how to cut to the chase and Stewart is a master of irony...and quite intelligent. And he had the chops to go up there and speak his mind. "Some people" like to say how much they love First Responders yet they wouldn't cough up the cash so these heroes can live...or at least die well.