Jon Stewart Hammers Cramer :)

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by macfan881, Mar 13, 2009.

1. macfan881 macrumors 68020

fi you been following the Daily Show the last few weeks Jon Stewart has been Hammering Jim Crammer for his incredilby dumb moves and shindigs he runs on Mad Money Mainly on how he said not to Sell on AIG Bear Stern and a few other of the major bail outs anyway Jon had Cramer on last night and did probally one of his best interviews ever and this is why i love the guy :)

Full interview Pt 1 http://www.thedailyshow.com/video/index.jhtml?videoId=221516&title=jim-cramer-unedited-interview

pt 2http://www.thedailyshow.com/video/index.jhtml?videoId=221517&title=jim-cramer-unedited-interview

pt 3 http://www.thedailyshow.com/video/index.jhtml?videoId=221518&title=jim-cramer-unedited-interview

2. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

Hehhheehehe Kewl!

3. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

This has slowly built up all day.
    Its now the top story on CNN.com

4. macfan881 thread starter macrumors 68020

great show last night im glad some one has finally called out cramer and that stewart had pointed out CNBC has been a sham throughout this whole Crisis

5. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Stewart handed cramers ass to him.

Honestly when I watched this earlier today it really struck me how much Stewart, when serious, can really voice the thoughts of the public so effectively.

Thats why Ive always been a fan of him, way more than colbert.

6. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

I personally like Cramer. Sometimes his advise doesn't pan out, but most of the time it does (at least for me). And to be exact, Cramer said not to take your money out of an account at institutions like Bear Sterns, or Lehman Bros., he never said to invest in them.

Don

7. macfan881 thread starter macrumors 68020

yeah but he screwed the people who have stocks and were thinking they should get out when they were obviously failing

8. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

Well if people thought that he said to invest in their stock, that's their own fault. He never said to invest in Lehman or Bear stock. He just said that your money was safe, if it was in an account with Lehman or Bear, as long as you didn't exceed the insured limit. How's it his fault if what he said was misinterpreted by someone?

Don

9. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

Kramer handled himself quite well. I would *not* want to be in Stuart's line of fire. The interesting thing will be to see if Kramer's style fo advising changes at all. He makes it sound like he will do "better."

10. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

I doubt that Cramer will change his ways. He's been doing the same things since the show started, minus throwing chairs. I've been watching Cramer almost since day one, and he's not going to be phased by John Stewart, especially when he did nothing wrong.

Don

11. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

To be honest with you, I think that Cramer is really just a face for a much more important point that Jon Stewart was making: the networks don't know how to report news. They report 'facts' (i.e. that someone said something) but often don't do their homework. Thus interviews and news reportage are without analysis. When Cramer used the 'I thought the person was honest' alibi, the gist of Stewart's retort was that the network should have done research to find out if what the interviewee said was correct. This is really what people should hold networks accountable for in the first place. News interviews should always be like the one Jon Stewart conducted last night.

I find it incredibly sad that the American answer to Jeremy Paxman is a 'comedian.' (I use the scare quotes because I rarely find Jon Stewart funny)

12. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

I'm sorry, but did you actually watch the show? I think Cramer did quite a bit of back peddling especially when Stewart showed the tapes where Cramer said don't worried about what I say it will never be shown on tv when he was talking about the crap that traders do with hedge funds.

You know what I find incredibly sad, that these news organizations have lost the very thing that they are entitled to and don't report that actual news anymore. That the only hard hitting exposing news we get now a days is from a comedy show. From a person who actually has the balls to go out and hit these people who need to be exposed for the frauds they are democrats, republicans or big CEO's that Cramer was buddies with and according to his own words, was lied to by. That's what is sad...

13. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

This whole thing has just reminded me (painfully) how bad the media has become.

They don't do research like they used to; know there's no time for it, because it might get in the way of sensationalism.

Jon Stewart, as a comedian, is one of the few real "reporters" left.

14. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

And if you've watched his (Cramer's) show for the past week, you'll know that he's basically said that Stewart is a two bit hack. He probably went on with Stewart, because his masters at NBC told him to. Come Monday, he'll act as if it never happened.

I find it really sad that people get the news from places like YouTube and Comedy Central these days. And people wonder why America is going to hell in a hand basket. It's because people are getting their news from two bit hack comedians, instead of from journalists, among other reasons.

15. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

I'm sure you think places like Fox News or CNN (in which I think Fox news is the worst out of all the news stations) just reports all the truth and we just all listen to the great reporting and truth they spew? America is going to hell in a hand basket because these news stations can't or won't report the truth, and won't take down the people who are turning this country to the dark side. Don't go and put all the blame on comedians just because they pick up the slack your so-called "journalists" leave behind.

And I don't watch Cramer, I think it's a hack show, (Ya, Cramer said Stewart is a two bit hack and then came on the Daily Show and told Stewart that he likes his show, hmmm, just another lie..) Stupid gimmicks to try to get people to watch, your supposed to be a serious news station not someone who throws crap around and acts like a monkey on the set screaming and essentially lying to people.. Stewart called him out and he couldn't answer for any of it. Whether it's Cramer's fault or CNBC's fault for being a crap news station is becoming irrelevant, what's relevant is we can't trust any of them for anything that is true... To much bias reporting, to much "we better not say that and piss of our corporate sponsors or friends".. The media today is weak...

16. macfan881 thread starter macrumors 68020

hey its better than getting From some of the other Fixed stations around on tv.:D

17. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Don't you ever get embarrassed from apologizing so much for financial advisor wannabes?

18. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

No. You're looking at this the wrong way. 'People' aren't the problem. The news networks are the problem. It's sad that people have to turn to comedians for news because there aren't any decent news networks in the US.

Actually, that's not entirely true. The news on PBS is pretty good. Otherwise, it's unbearable.

19. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

I forgot. A lot of Americans turn to BBC World News America to get news about America... That's pretty sad that we turn to a foreign news organization. Not saying anything bad about BBC World News, I watch it from time to time and find their reporting to be decent...

20. itcheroni macrumors 6502a

I watched the Daily Show starting from 1999 when no one knew about it but stopped after Colbert left. Jon Stewart has never been very funny but having Stephen Colbert and Steve Carrell helped. He's gotten progressively more self-righteous over time and it kills his comedy even more. It used to be a comedy show that reported news, now it's a news show with lame comedy.

As for the interview, Stewart, despite his self-reference to being a 'layman,' seems to believe he understands the cause for our recession. I'm not saying he's necessarily wrong in focusing on high-leverage and derivatives, but I think it's short-sighted. You can blame greed all you want but it will always exist. It's like blaming gravity for an airplane crash. Try and close down all investment firms, eliminate all derivatives, and see what our economy looks like then. I believe it was the inducement to take risky bets that are more important than the actual methods.

21. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

I agree that the show started to go down after Steve Carrell left. And I go agree with what you are saying above. However, I think Stewart was mainly focusing on the lack of truth in what CNBC and Cramer were putting out to people as far as investing and what they should do with their money...

22. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I always let out a little chuckle whenever I read statements like this. People aren't getting the news from these sources. They're getting entertainment. So what if news is mixed in with their entertainment? Before these sources people like that wouldn't get the news at all. So at least with these sources they're getting a little informed. People who actually want the news go and get a newspaper or go to a news organization's website.

23. Jpoon macrumors 6502

Yeah, like the news isn't what the people up top want to report anyways. No one on the news reports anything important. It's all a bunch of opinionated garbage depending on whatever channel you happen to be watching.

24. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

Interesting. I wonder what the show was like then. I can't stand Colbert or Carrell now (second time in this thread I've said I don't like comedians. For the record, I love comedy, but not much of it from the US). Self-righteousness makes satire work. If you don't take the moral high-horse, you just aren't very sharp. I would say that's when he's at his best. The stuff I can't stand are his stupid faces and impressions of mafia bosses. And as for the rest of the crew...:(

As for the interview, I didn't really think the details of Stewart's argument were important since he really doesn't know the ins and outs of the financial system. It's not really a show you watch to learn something anyway. I was surprised that Cramer couldn't actually explain himself or correct Stewart since he is someone with experience.

25. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

The truth is that even the BBC gets their facts wrong a lot. You're far better off to read a weekly summary of the news like the economist* as at least they do analysis. (* newsweek and time should also be good but I haven't read either for a while)

I don't think the BBC is that great. Their technology show Click seems to be often wrong and them repeating the Dali Lama's word like it is gospel are two recent examples.