Jon Stewart is Right, but what can be done about cable news?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by BigQid, Nov 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigQid macrumors regular

There was a great interview with Rachel Maddow of Jon Stewart. It was a truly interesting interview because they were both half right. Maddow was right in that to lots of people, Jon Stewart is how they get the news. The Daily Show is the news for people that don't like the news. He was right in that he is not a news guy, he's a news critic even if that hasn't always been clear.
    When he did Rally 4 Sanity, it seemed like it was in contrast to Beck because of the proximity in time, but he's always been anti-cable news. And again he's right. There is no good reason to have 24 hour cable news, but then how would you run a news network.

1) Every day I would have a segment where I point out what the biggest lies that get told are.
    2) I'd have civil discussions with real people and experts.
    3) I would do my best to give voice to my viewers thoughts and constantly try to move the conversation forward. I like to watch TWiT on Sundays live because I like to be in the chat room. I think adding this layer to live discussions on television would increase viewership and move conversations forward quickly if there was a way to reduce the noise somehow, say a chat room inspired by Reddit or Disqus.
    4.) When there isn't breaking news, I'd play educational programs and let a news crawler run at the bottom.

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I suggest the Americans stop being so naive and read multiple sources for their news.

Thanks to the internet and that most news sources have an English language edition it isn't difficult.

3. jb1280 macrumors 6502a

The Internet is as bad, if not worse, than cable news in the proliferation of bad information. The proliferation of poorly sourced news on the Internet also gives cover to those who only seek one side of information by providing an argument that "I am getting news from several sources."

This is also not strictly an American phenomenon. For every American who is stuck in some epistemically closed Internet echo chamber, there is a German, Briton, or Indian.

The fundamental problem is that the fragile symbiotic relationships between politician-constituent, politician-media, and media-polity have been permanently destroyed. There is literally no repercussion for politicians that either blatantly lie or refuse to be held accountable. There is no repercussion for a media that refuses to focus on what matters compared to meta-stories. There is no repercussion for a polity that makes explicit decisions to seek information that only reinforces their world view.

For all that the Internet has contributed to society, the highly democratic and non-curated proliferation of information is inherently dangerous to sustaining well-governed and accountable nations.

4. BigQid thread starter macrumors regular

That would be nice if we were a nation that was otherwise well educated and interested in the affairs of the nation in more than a tabloid sense, but the reality is people have their own lives to live and see that they have little ability to positively affect the nation. As such people don't normally pay attention to the news. To combat this, the cable news companies try to make the news sexy by constantly having "breaking news" and conflict on tv because they want news to be entertaining.

If it were up to me, I'd play the best podcasts educational topic podcasts through out the day like TED Talks, RSA, This American Life, with a news ticker at the bottom. If anything truly interesting happened, just pause the podcast, report the news, back to podcast.

5. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

But the same is true in other countries (maybe all countries) and most other developed countries don't have ultra-bias media which so many people believe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.