Jon Stewart Points out another fixed Story on Fox News

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by macfan881, Sep 10, 2010.

1. macfan881 macrumors 68020

2. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I think you meant that taxes will go up if the Bush tax cuts expire. But I get your point: Fox edited the clip to make it sound like the opposite of what it really said.

Great clip, though. Once again, Jon Stewart does some of the best news analysis around.

3. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

The US is desperately in need of more of it too.

4. MyDesktopBroke macrumors 6502

It's really bloody scary the amount of people who watch Fox and take it as canon. Google makes it so easy to find stories that Fox completely made or sliced and diced to mean completely different things, yet hundreds of thousands of people watch it and take it all in.

5. william sire macrumors regular

william sire

The important part of this clip begins at 06:21 and goes to 06:33 where Jon Stewart (a comedian I remind you, a comedian you people apparently think is a news analyst) explains the process he just used to fool you in thinking he just exposed FOX News. Sean Hannity never distorted what Barrack Obama said. Sean Hannity presented the anointed one saying that taxes will go up substantially next year, and that is what Barrack the anointed Obama said. Sean Hannity has for over a year said that Barrack Obama was not going to renew the Bush tax cuts. But that is something those of us informed who watch news, not comedians, have know even before the election of this charlatan.

6. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Here slick willy, let me demonstrate with your own words the concept you seem unable to grasp...

"Sean Hannity never distorted what Barrack Obama said. Sean Hannity presented the anointed one."

OH! So Sean Hannity himself proclaims that Barack Obama is the savior!

Who would have guessed?

7. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

If I accidentally flipped to Fox News I would gouge out my ear drums with the nearest tool.

8. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

This is one of those posts where I do one of those cartoon WHUH-WHUH-WHUH-WHAT?!?!? faces and can't believe I actually read what I thought I read.

But you actually said it. :confused:

Sir, did you come here directly from this thread?

Or do you just assume that all of us are so stupid we didn't understand the clip?

9. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Did you really just go there?

10. william sire macrumors regular

william sire

I read this forum enough not to assume but to observe.

Hence my reply to Thomas Veil.

11. Jason Beck macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

Off topic but I used to have that He-Man toy. Was that the "power action" one that you could make him swing his fists? AHAH

12. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Full-blown psychedelic, psychosis-inducing, reality-warping substances aren't discussed in that thread.

13. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I know, but it was as close as I could get. :p

14. Tower-Union macrumors 6502

Tower-Union

I actually have to jump in on this one. . . I think its pretty clear that,
    a) Hannity made it sound like Barrack Obama was raising the taxes.
    b) The reality is that the taxes are SCHEDULED to go up, as per the instructions of the Bush administration

Are you really serious that,
    I mean really? Seriously? I'm just. . . I don't even know what to say to that! :eek::eek:

15. macfan881 thread starter macrumors 68020

Even though he is a comedian yes but the thing is he has been labled as one of the most reliable news reported out there http://ccinsider.comedycentral.com/2009/07/22/jon-stewart-voted-americas-most-trusted-newscaster/

16. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

17. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

Funny thing is (not funny ha ha but funny as in interesting) you cannot dismiss a comedians view of social and political issues those are your average comedians bread and butter when you are laughing they are usually tackling serious political religious and social issues in a satirical manner, and are proving they know what the hell is going on while entertaining the general public

18. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I think there's a failure of somebody in this thread to understand that behind all political satire is a serious point. You have to understand your subject in order to be able to satirize it.

But if the comedy aspect is getting in the way of anyone's comprehension of this, then I would commend to them some of Stewart's interviews with newsmakers at the end of The Daily Show. He asks more pointed questions of people like Dick Armey than real reporters do. He's got a great way of cutting through the BS -- and in fact there are times I wish he'd stop being so damn professional and simply nail his guest to the table.

19. 87vert macrumors 6502

87vert

I don't see what the problem is with either clip. If you had half a brain you would know what Obama is talking about the Bush tax cuts and they were designed to expire from the beginning. I don't see that "taken out of context"

The only thing I got out of it was Obama trying to blame Bush for taxes going up. Not himself for not renewing the Bush tax cuts.

The Bush tax cuts were not made permanent because of Dems in Congress saying NO and thus Republicans were forced to use reconciliation to even get the bill passed.

http://www.taxfoundation.org/news/show/26312.html

The fact that these tax cuts are even necessary shows there are problems. We need to lower govt spending, balance the budget, and then we can lower the tax rate and forget all about "tax cuts"

20. macfan881 thread starter macrumors 68020

but thats the problem the people who watch fixed news wouldnt be able to tell it thats why they think Obama is a Socalist Marxist Muslim. :)