Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

jony_ive-250x285.png
Apple's design chief Jony Ive is set to be honored with the Bay Area Treasure Award, given by the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art. Ive will receive the award for his long history of designing innovative products for Apple.
"Ive is our generation's most innovative and influential figure in the field of industrial design--no other design mind has done more to transform the way we visualize and share information," said SFMOMA Director Neal Benezra. "SFMOMA was the first museum on the West Coast to establish a department of architecture and design, and we're thrilled to celebrate Ive's revolutionary achievements."
Ive, who has designed products for Apple since 1992, has been responsible for many of the company's flagship products, including the iPod, iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, iMac, MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, and iOS 7.

The award will be given to Ive at a dinner and presentation set to be held on Thursday, October 30, 2014, where Ive will speak with SFMOMA Curator of Architecture and Design Jennifer Dunlop Fletcher. Tickets for the event will range in price from $400 to $1,250 and can be purchased via the Modern Art Council.

In the past, SFMOMA's Bay Area Treasure Award has been given to famed artists and creators like architect Lawrence Halprin, filmmaker George Lucas, media artist Jim Cambbell, and painter Wayne Thiebaud. In a statement, Ive said he was proud to be recognized by the museum.
"I've always enjoyed visiting SFMOMA, and I think it represents exceptional contemporary art and design," said Ive. "I'm very grateful to the museum and proud to be recognized among such an amazing list of past recipients."
Ive has received several other awards for his work at Apple, including a 2007 National Design Award for the iPhone and a 2009 honorary doctorate from the Rhode Island School of Design. Ive was also appointed as a Commander of the Order of the British Empire back in 2006 and in 2012, he was elevated to Knight Commander of the Order of the British Empire, where he was knighted by Princess Anne.

Article Link: Jony Ive Wins Lifetime Achievement Award From SF's Museum of Modern Art

camnchar

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2006
I'm trying to decipher the emotion that's on Jony's face in that picture. Confusion? Impatience? Nostalgia? Very puzzling!

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
Award that means nothing in the face of the $$$$ he got from the sales of the products he designed. That shows people really do like the product and not just some "educated" museum "snobs"

i4m

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2013
I wonder which color his t shirt will be when he receives the award

I hope he wears something that looks like an iPhone 5S cover: ridiculous!

----------

he should go un-apologetically wrapped in plastic...

joneill55

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
I'm trying to decipher the emotion that's on Jony's face in that picture. Confusion? Impatience? Nostalgia? Very puzzling!

I think the look is, "please hurry up and take that ****ing picture!"

Last edited by a moderator:

Heltik

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2002
USA
"Ive is our generation's most innovative and influential figure in the field of industrial design--no other design mind has done more to transform the way we visualize and share information," said SFMOMA Director Neal Benezra. "SFMOMA was the first museum on the West Coast to establish a department of architecture and design, and we're thrilled to celebrate Ive's revolutionary achievements."

I guess with the exception of Steve Jobs, without whom Ive may never have had the outlet to express his creative genius?

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
Congrats, any award he receive further proof his capabiltiies and recognition.

michaelsviews

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2007
New England
Really

So new designs are coming when ? I honestly do not think what apple has put out is that exciting. A round Mac Pro, and MBA are the most unique and non boring products Apple has come out with. Its a combination of the Hardware + Operating system. As for the expression on his face in that picture, allot can be said

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.