Jordan's King Abdullah: refugee influx has Jordan at boiling point. "Many with ties to ISIS"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by aaronvan, Feb 3, 2016.

1. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Ahead of a donor conference on Syria, the king told the BBC that there was enormous pressure on Jordan's social services, infrastructure and economy.

"Sooner or later, I think, the dam is going to burst," he warned.

King Abdullah said Jordanians were suffering as a result of the influx, with 25% of the state budget spent on helping refugees.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-35462698

2. XrayTed macrumors regular

XrayTed

"He said the international community would have to offer more help if it wanted Jordan to keep taking refugees.

The UN is seeking $7.7bn (£5.4bn) to fund aid operations for 22.5 million people in Syria and neighbouring countries next year. However, only 43% of its 2015 appeal for $2.9bn was funded."

Once again, we'll have to pay dearly one way or the other - Either subsidize them there, or subsidize them in our lands.
    I'm giving the "neither" option serious consideration, I wish our "leaders" would as well.

3. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

4. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

It posted just fine: Jordan is spending 25% of their budget dealing with the refugee crisis. Simply astounding. And unsustainable, BTW.

5. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Of course it is, they've taken the majority of refugees on by themselves. Have you seen the Jordanian camp? It's bigger than many CITIES here in the US.

These types of mass migrations are only going to get more severe as time goes on, the idea that we can just say no means that certain countries are going to end up with all the responsibilities, the VERY least we can do is provide the resources.

6. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

Problem is, saying "yes" won't fix a thing either.

Just look at all the countries of the "Arab Spring", those that allready have collapsed and those that soon will (Egypt anyone ?), what do they all have in common ? Nono, not talking about what special brand of bronze-age sheephearding myths the follow but about the fact that their population growth is way out of control.

Which lead to economic problems and severe shortage of jobs and finally to the "Arab Spring".

7. bent christian Suspended

bent christian

The ownness is on the West to find a path to resolve the differences they have in a way that does not displace people, a way that does not include nearly indiscriminate bombing and continual war, or pay through the nose financially.

8. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

tell Obama to stop bombing brown people.

9. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Let's assume we do, and he stops all military action in the middle east tomorrow.

At best, that's a temporary cease-fire. He's out of office in a year, and we have a good chance of electing a Republican/Hillary to office this year, who WILL at least pick up where Obama left off, if not escalate things.

10. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

worth a try . and it is a shame none of the morons currently running are even thinking about peace.

11. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Drought, famine, failing states.

Saying "yes" simply means ensuring there isn't mass death around the world as the consequences of climate change get even more dire.

Crop failures are happening more and getting more extreme. It's either collectively help humanity, or let a massive amount of it die and deal with the resulting warfare as billions become desperate.

12. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Vote for Bernie.

13. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

We're going to have to pay if we're looking for stability in the world, that's the onus of being the world's financial superpower.

We could follow China's lead and actually invest in infrastructure building around the world to gain goodwill with developing nations....instead of bombing that infrastructure (I'm talking about the water infrastructure in Libya, which was an engineering marvel).

I'd like to see the 21st century of American foreign policy being one that assist nations in becoming self reliant. Imagine the goodwill we could buy by manufacturing millions of solar panels and assisting in their installation throughout developing nations.

14. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Bernie's probably the only one who'll field a relatively sane approach to the ME problem. At least something beyond "hey, let's do that thing we've been doing for the last 40 odd years. Maybe it'll work this time."

15. bent christian Suspended

bent christian

Sanders addresses a completely empty House.

16. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

I'll take him over the rest,,,,,,,,,,,,maybe :p

17. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

The best "we" (aka "the west") can do is to stay out of their affairs, cos otherwise they'll just blame us.

Far to late in preventing that, not even sure if we can do anything to just reduce it's scale.

Population growth will reverse sometimes in this century, either by people having less kids or a sharp reduction in life expectiancy (read famine, desease and war).

18. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

And now the man is a credible candidate for the White House. Irony, that.

19. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

goes to show how much Hitlary is not wanted.

20. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

What policies would you suggest?

21. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Didn't he just state we have to "Crush ISIS" in yesterdays townhall? How do we do that if not through force?

22. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

It's worth noting that the refugee crisis is because of the Syrian civil war and that ISIS is using the power vacuum to recruit and enhance its forces. Ending the conflict and rebuilding Syria is the only way that the refugee crisis will end.

Of course, that's far easier to say than do, but we're seeing the long-term consequences of the invasion of Iraq and fallout from the failure of the Arab Spring. That ISIS has managed to profit from the collapse of major nation-states is because of long-term failures by the U.S. and its allies to deal directly with Iraq and Egypt.

23. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

Well, for one the EU should spend billions of Euros to build refugee camps in Jordon, Lebanon, and Turkey.

24. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Restore Assad to uncontested power and call it a day. Let him deal with his nation and stop bombing stuff Obama. Oh wait, Exxon and the Federal reserve might have a problem with that. Never mind.

25. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I keep hearing the refrain from...well just about everyone, that the Middle Eastern countries aren't doing enough for the Syria conflict. Well, that really just reads to me as the neoliberalists saying "you're not bombing enough".

Meanwhile, on the side of humanity, look at the kinds of things Jordan is dealing with:

"If the severity of a conflict can, at least in part, be measured by the number of refugees it creates, the Za'atari camp in Jordan is a disturbing reflection of just how bad the civil war in Syria has gotten. When it opened, Za'atari had just 100 families. Today, it has about 120,000 residents. Located 18 miles south of the Syrian border, it's the fourth largest city in Jordan and the second largest refugee camp in the world."

http://www.vice.com/video/ground-zero-syria-zaatari-refugee-camp

[​IMG]