Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Josh Gad Likely to Play Steve Wozniak in Steve Jobs Indie Film

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Progress continues on the independent film "Jobs", which will see Ashton Kutcher play the role of the Apple co-founder and CEO. According to Variety, actor Josh Gad is in talks to portray Steve Wozniak in the film, which will focus on the early days of Apple.
Written by Matt Whiteley, pic chronicles Steve Jobs from wayward hippie to co-founder of Apple, where he became one of the most revered creative entrepreneurs of our time.

Gad is making a deal to play Wozniak, who created the Apple I computer and co-created the Apple II computer in the mid-1970s.
Gad is best known for his starring role in The Book of Mormon, a satirical Broadway musical from the creators of irreverent animated television show South Park. Gad has also held a number of other film, TV, and stage roles, and has occasionally served as a correspondent for The Daily Show.

Production on "Jobs" is reportedly set to begin next month. The film is a separate project from the upcoming Sony Pictures film based on Walter Isaacson's authorized biography of Steve Jobs.

(Photo by Taylor Hill / Getty Images)

Article Link: Josh Gad Likely to Play Steve Wozniak in Steve Jobs Indie Film

kiljoy616

macrumors 68000
Apr 17, 2008
USA
Have a feeling this movie is going to suck. :rolleyes:

First movie pirate of silicon valley was enjoyable but this one is going to be painful.

Comment

charlieegan3

macrumors 68020
Feb 16, 2012
U.K
can't say I think that match is as good as Ashton Kutcher for steve jobs.

the hair is wrong.

Attachments

• steve-wozniak4854.jpg
    steve-wozniak4854.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 3,689
Comment

DrMotownMac

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2008
Michigan

First movie pirate of silicon valley was enjoyable but this one is going to be painful.

I think you may be right....BUT, let's be honest. Aren't we all going to see it anyway??? After all, we are registered users at MacRumors. Are any of us really going to let them make a movie about Steve Jobs and Apple which we won't see? I don't think so. I would see it if it were an animated cartoon made in a foreign language with subtitles. So, the Ashton Kutcher and Josh Gad thing isn't so hard for me to take.

On the other hand, isn't Josh Gad a little TOO fat to play Woz from 1971 to 2000? The modern day version of Woz has the Josh Gad body habitus, but definitely not this 1970s version of Woz....

https://forums.macrumors.com/picture.php?albumid=599&pictureid=1807

Comment

needfx

Suspended
Aug 10, 2010
macrumors apparently
I am pro-Jack as well, his serious version, but..

Woz's part is about the 1/3 (give or take) of Steve's life.
Jack Black is an intense actor, and would overshadow Ashton.
Then, there's the extra cost for a non-desirable result, the stress between the actors, my name, MY name, drama, drama, drama...It seems to make sense not to choose Jack.

Maybe Woz Himself would like to give it a try...

----------

... After all, we are registered users at MacRumors.

So true, so true

Last edited:
Comment

Virtualball

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2006
I think you may be right....BUT, let's be honest. Aren't we all going to see it anyway??? After all, we are registered users at MacRumors. Are any of us really going to let them make a movie about Steve Jobs and Apple which we won't see? I don't think so. I would see it if it were an animated cartoon made in a foreign language with subtitles. So, the Ashton Kutcher and Josh Gad thing isn't so hard for me to take.

On the other hand, isn't Josh Gad a little TOO fat to play Woz from 1971 to 2000? The modern day version of Woz has the Josh Gad body habitus, but definitely not this 1970s version of Woz....

Woz and Jobs: the original hipsters.

Comment

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
can't say I think that match is as good as Ashton Kutcher for steve jobs.

the hair is wrong.

I'm pretty sure even indie films have hair and make-up people. And movies aren't looking for exact physical matches anyway - does Meryl Streep really look like Margaret Thatcher?

Comment

ramuman

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2005
Who cares? This isn't the authorized film.

(In before "you cared enough to post in this thread")

Comment

ProVideo

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2011

I might watch it, but unless they figure out a way to make money off Usenet or torrent downloads, they won't be getting a cent from me.

I still think this is going to just be an exploitive attempt by those involved including Ashton to beat the authorized film to the punch by rushing this crap out. From what I've seen no one involved has anything that impressive on their resume that gives me any hope.

Comment

Kyle4

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2010
Canada

Completely agree. Ashton Kutcher does not have the acting chops to play such a powerful business as Jobs. As soon as his casting was announced I lost what little faith I had in this project.

Comment

OksiBlack

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2012

albumid=599&pictureid=1807]Image[/url]

Well said, I 100% agree

Comment

Sackvillenb

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
Canada! \m/
Ha, I was going to comment on how this guy looks like Jack Black's fatter cousin... but I see that many others had the same idea as me!

Comment

The Tuck

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2003
I love Josh Gad. Seen him in the 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee on Broadway and twice in the Book of Mormon. He's got a lot of talent and I think he will play a wonderful Wozniak! Excited for this news.

Tuck

Comment

-LikesMac-

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2010
Well

How about Steve Wozniak comes and plays Steve Wozniak.

This is what I actually thought for a moment, but then I realized that this film will involve past events; Wozniak doesn't look like how he used to in the 1990s.

There are other issues, of course.

Comment

jeff44

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2012
Jemaine is too good and too funny for any B/C/D-rate indie film about Steve Jobs.

I know what you mean. He usually does A-List stuff and would probably steal the show without even trying. But he does dabble in indie work like Gentleman Broncos. So, you never know. ;)

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.