Journey to the Dark Side.....or got a Space Black at a great deal

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by DougFNJ, Nov 21, 2015.

1. DougFNJ macrumors 6502a

DougFNJ

Before I begin my tale, I will start by saying I am a watch nut. That began with G-Shocks, and from buying and selling them, my collection evolved to higher end Citizens and Seikos, and ultimately led to my Omega and Tag Heuer.

When the Apple Watch was released, I had initially wanted the Space Black but the one they had in the display glass table appeared to have a purple hue to it that kind of turned me off to that version. I liked the idea of 316L SS along with Sapphire, but on a 1st gen product, I figured I would start light.

I had purchased a Space Gray followed by a Black Leather Loop band and was pretty happy with this combo. It brought me back to the G-Shock feel. Durable, budget friendly, looked good, and the Leather Loop had a nice look and feel. I enjoyed the versatility.

Then Rene from iMore did his photo, video, and written review on the Space Black and I was thoroughly impressed. It appears Apple improved their DLC process and that changed my thoughts on what I had, but the price was a bit higher than what I was willing to spend.

I got an email from Best Buy showing $50discounts on Apple Watches. I took a look and had never realized Apple released the Space Black with a Sports band much lower than the $1100 price tag of the SS. Now the wheels were turning. I had it in my cart ready to purchase, but didn't pull the trigger, I wanted to look at it a little closer. The next day I took the trip to the Apple Store and asked to take a look. I tried it on and liked it...a LOT. I liked the look, the weight. I was sold. I tried on the bracelet version too, now I was in trouble. I asked if they price match, and the answer was yes. After chatting with my rep, I had told him Best Buy was going to give me an extra 5% back on top of the $50 off. I asked if he could do a little better, he gave me 10% off so I got it for $60 less. That was the right price. So I paid for my new Space Black Apple Watch using Apple Pay with the Space Gray it was replacing.

I set everything up in the store and walked out with the Space Black on the Leather Loop. I really liked the weight of this new watch compared to the Sport. The deep black high polish DLC finish with the Retina display makes it look like this watch came from a Science Fiction movie. I quickly listed and sold the Space Gray Apple Watch which helped lower the expense on my new Space Black. It's beautiful. It looked great on the Leather Loop, but it REALLY looked great on the DLC SS band.

I am not big on knockoffs, I refuse to wear a $30 fake on a $500 plus watch. I decided to start search for an authentic Space Black band on EBay. I found one for $425. After a back and forth with the seller, I bought and paid for it, and my Space Black SS Apple Watch is complete! When all was said and done, I paid $967 for the whole deal minus the money back from the Space Gray, plus I have the sport band that came with it as well as the Leather Loop, all bases are covered.

I definitely suggest to check this watch out in the store. If you could see yourself wearing it, with the Best Buy deal and price match plus eBay deals for the straps, I works out nicely.

Now the obligatory photo:

View attachment 601534

2. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

I 100% agree. I started off 2 weeks ago with the space grey sport, really liked it but it just kept scratching on the screen too easily. I followed some advice on here and bought the SS one with a black sport band.

The SS one was very cool, but I missed the all black look of my G shock I used everyday for the last 4 years. I looked at best buy to return the SS one and saw they had an open box black SS like the one you have. Looked at it, only 3 days old (guess whoever bought it used it for like 2 days) and was SOLD. Now i absolutely love it and don't miss my G shocks. The all black SS looks classy enough for dress and casual wear imo.

On a side note I noticed the SS scratched easily on the body like SS usually does. I did not want to polish it or anything so that was another reason I chose all black SS. The BSS will scratch I bet but at least its all black lol.

3. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

...and this needed a new thread why? It's just another buyers story.

4. DougFNJ, Nov 22, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2015

DougFNJ thread starter macrumors 6502a

DougFNJ

Defender 2010, defending the community? Don't click the thread if your not interested in reading it. If it were up to "defenders" like you, web forums would have 5 total threads with 15,000 posts each.

Move on....

5. L.C.W. macrumors regular

L.C.W.

6. DougFNJ thread starter macrumors 6502a

DougFNJ

Your right, poor lighting created a poor pic.

Here's a couple of better ones...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448215659.978070.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448215678.545887.jpg

7. mguzzi macrumors regular

Thanks for this thread. I returned my SGS and I am torn between the SS or the Black SS since there seems to be some good deals this week. I felt the screen on the SGS scratched to easily as well.

8. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

Looks great. I also started with a sport model and upgraded to stainless. No comparison.

9. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

I never claimed to defend anything. So you bought a new watch, you are not the first or last.

10. DougFNJ thread starter macrumors 6502a

DougFNJ

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family this week, I hope you one day understand the spirit of a web forum community based on specific products.

May you not attempt to kill more members buzzes, mine is still buzzing.

11. jlczl macrumors regular

Serious question. I'm fairly certain you took a loss in the sale of the Sport. Once you factor that loss did you end up paying more than if you would have bought BSS from the start? If so, if you had to do it all again would you have just skipped the Sport and bought the BSS with new Link? Also, is there really that much difference? I have a Space Black Sport with a leather loop that is 3rd party but is absolutely perfect, as well as a rugged case and strap for when I'm in a rough environment. I was thinking of getting a good 3rd party link bracelet. Would the feel of that combo really be much different than the BSS with link?

12. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

I love this combo and the Space Black SS. My only issue, and why I went with the regular SS, is versatility. I feel like the SS looks better with everything else outside of the black link band.

I also am a lefty, but put the crown towards the top away from my hand.

13. DougFNJ thread starter macrumors 6502a

DougFNJ

I took at bit of a loss, yes. Factoring in all discounts I am still ahead.

Great questions by the way. I wasn't really sure I was completely sold on the Apple Watch upon release. With that thought I wanted a minimal investment. Had the SB been released with the Sport Band, I probably would had gone that route up front. If I had really liked it I would had gotten the bracelet at a later time.

Regarding the 3rd party Link Bracelet? This is just me and my opinion, and the watch guy talking....I like OEM. My Seikos always got Seiko made bracelets. I had gotten an Omega Seamaster Pro at a RIDICULOUS deal, it needed a LOT of refinishing including the bezel which had to be replaced. I could had gotten a 3rd party bezel at a much lower price than what I paid for the OEM Omega Bezel, but to me it would had taken away from the watch. That's my OCD speaking mind you, but I also read reviews on the 3rd party link bracelets of the clasp being harder to close, links being a little stretched, and a tighter fit putting it on and removing which could eventually affect the DLC finish. I also appreciate the craftsmanship put into the Apple Link Bracelet. The 300 components and 9 hours to machine has a lot behind it.

14. DougFNJ thread starter macrumors 6502a

DougFNJ

The SS definitely looks sharp, but my fear was marking up the high polish. How have you been making out with it?

I was going to do that initially but found it convenient when I wanted to use the crown without blocking the display. I was really with the left/right hand setting. I take it you swipe more through the display?

15. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

The SS is holding up really well. I am sure there are some micro-scratches just from the simple fact it is SS, but I just wipe it down with a microfiber cloth regularly and that seems to keep it pristine

I rarely use the crown. 95% of the time I just touch the screen. I also had a pebble previously, so I am use to the buttons on that side and having to reach around.

16. jlczl macrumors regular

Seriously considering getting the Black SS at Target for $100 off and selling my Sport. I'll be upgrading a bit but may lose a bit of money when it's all said and done. I'm trying to decide if it's worth it.

17. DougFNJ thread starter macrumors 6502a

DougFNJ

Swappa is definitely the best route to sell.

Although the interface is the same, there is definitely a better quality feel to Stainless Steel and Sapphire vs Aluminum. Ultimately it's up to you of course, but no regrets here.

18. DougFNJ thread starter macrumors 6502a

DougFNJ

Hey Jlczl, I was wondering if you ended up getting one?

19. adamhenry macrumors 65816

adamhenry

I received my SGS yesterday and I'm going to return it tomorrow and get the SBSS.

20. convergent macrumors 68000

convergent

I kind of did a similar thing, but went with the SS instead. I bought a SG new... tried it for a week then returned it and bought a mint SS with black classic buckle on eBay, with AC+, for a significant discount. The reason I went SS instead of SB is because I felt that it gave me more band choices and I guess I just like the look better.

21. convergent macrumors 68000

convergent

Keep the buzz going... I guess some people don't understand the "community" part of a community.

22. IphoneIssues macrumors 65816

I'm always amazed how some people feel they should bring it to your attention that you're talking about something they don't want to talk about.