Judge finds NC 'Choose Life' plates unconstitutional

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by GoCubsGo, Dec 11, 2012.

1. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Article Link: http://www.wral.com/judge-finds-nc-choose-life-plates-unconstitutional/11861952/

My own opinion is that they either allow both sides to be represented or no sides and those who wish to advertise their views can buy a variety of bumper stickers. I thought the fact that the state offered them was odd in the first place and that the state passed off some of the proceeds onto crisis pregnancy centers while they openly refused the opposition to "Choose Life" plates.

2. Happybunny macrumors 68000

All this is moot as who would buy plates with 'Choose Death' :eek:

3. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Missouri has those stupid plates too, but no pro choice ones either. Hopefully the ruling applies outside of NC too.

4. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

'Choose choice'... which somewhat sounds redundant.... it's almost a train noise. 'Choo choo!'

I'm glad their judge flipped this. It was kind of silly to not allow both sides. But I think these things should remain as bumper stickers and not be integrated into plates.

5. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

I'd worry about having my windows smashed in if my car had a pro-choice license plate in one of those states. Some of the anti-abortion folk have been known to get rather violent.

6. AhmedFaisal, Dec 11, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  7. elistan macrumors 6502a

I suspect this is the issue the judge found unconstitutional:

8. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

In Texas we have what seems to be a few hundred different plates featuring all kinds of causes. I never really thought (or cared) about whether opposing viewpoints are represented.

If this judge's order is allowed to stand, I could see it opening up a can of worms on several fronts. For example, we have a "Stop Child Abuse" plate. Do we need to offer a "Support Child Abuse" plate, so that both sides are represented? We also have "God Bless America." Are they going to make us offer "God Curse America" to represent the opposing view?

These plates are completely optional. No reason to get in a tizzy about whether both "sides" are represented.

9. AhmedFaisal, Dec 11, 2012
  10. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Apparently my use of hyperbole wasn't effective. My intent was to show how ridiculous it was on the part of the judge to insist that both sides of an issue must be represented here. Is anybody seriously going to put a license plate on their vehicle that says "Choose Death" or "Choose Abortion?"

The ACLU's wish that "you need to allow speech on both sides of the political debate to occur" isn't violated in either case. Nobody is restricting the rights of those who do "choose death" to speak up in favor of it; just because one side speaks up doesn't mean the other side can't.

11. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Why can't people just stay out of women's vaginae?

12. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Except that, as elistan's post above points out, the lawmaker's wouldn't permit pro-choice license plates. Thus suppressing free speech.

13. AhmedFaisal, Dec 11, 2012
  14. elistan macrumors 6502a

"Support Child Abuse" would advocate illegal behavior, so no, it shouldn't be allowed IMO.

"God Curse America" is perfectly legal. Unpopular, but not illegal, so it should be allowed IMO. It shouldn't be offered by default, though - only if a specific group requests such a plate. If a non-profit group promoting science teams up with some State agency and submits a "Science. It works." or "4.54 billion years and counting." plate, then yes, it should be allowed IMO. If a gun-control or gun-advocacy non-profit wanted a plate of their own, it should be allowed.

15. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

License plates with political opinions embedded do seem inherently unconstitutional, and, unconstitutional or not, are a dumb idea.

16. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

One issue that gets overlooked is that some of these plates actually include a donation to the designated cause, such as scholarship funds for university plates, spay/neuter fund for the animal lovers plates or support for various foundations. One might get the idea that a "Choose Life" plate would include money going to that particular cause (though it could not).

17. dscuber9000 macrumors 6502a

This somewhat contradicts a ruling in Indiana around a year ago. Indiana offered a free plate design that had "In God We Trust" on it, but there were no other religious alternatives. According to Indiana, that's legal. :confused:

18. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

It does according to the article.

Last piece of what jessica. quoted.

19. eric/ Guest

eric/

I think it's unfair that the state issues any of these at all. It favors some organizations, which can get the plates made, over others that aren't able to lobby for it or don't have the size.

Keep this stuff out of government.

20. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

On the subject, I was looking over Missouri's list of specialty plates to see if something piqued my interest, and apparently this state offers "Don't Tread On Me" plates now. Wondering where the "I am the 99%" plates are :rolleyes:

And as a Cardinals fan, I find this note on the Kansas City Royals plate amusing: Removed 8/28/2007 no applications received in 5 years

Edit: Still going down the list. We have NRA plates too. How lovely.

21. edk99 macrumors 6502a

We have a Choose Life plate here in Florida. Haven't heard anyone complain about it. But we have many different plates here that are special interest like Boy Scouts, In God We Trust oh and even an Hispanic Achievers one. I honestly don't see what the problem is.

Here is a full list.
    http://www.flhsmv.gov/html/tagbrochure.pdf

Attached Files:

22. elistan macrumors 6502a

Did somebody attempt to get a "In Science We Trust" plate and have their request denied?

23. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Can we get some plates that say "Stay the **** out of my personal life"?? :D

24. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

I hate all these plates. I am fine with different graphics being produced (although even that gets a little confusing as you can no longer tell what state a plate belongs to at a glance). But at some point, merely a beach scene or whatever morphed into political activism...whales, forest, abortion....it's just too much and something I do not think belongs on a license plate. Save that for a bumper sticker. Just my 2 cents.