Judge indicted for helping illegal to escape

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by linuxcooldude, Apr 26, 2019.

1. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

I remember this particular case. A Judge and court officer conspired to release illegal immigrant from courtroom through backdoor, while ICE officer waited to pickup suspect after the court hearing. Judge ordered recording turned off while court officer lead suspect out the backdoor with his keycard. Several charges including Obstruction of justice.

It's nice to finally see Judges held accountable in sanctuary cities for blatant disregard for the law they are suppose to uphold. Hopefully they won't Smollett their way out of this one.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2019/apr/25/massachusetts-judge-charged-obstruction-after-help/

2. daflake macrumors 6502a

Yep, they are there to uphold the law, not circumvent it.

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

4. jerwin macrumors 68020

she did the right thing. hope she's acquitted

5. linuxcooldude thread starter macrumors 68020

She was taking the law into her own hands. While they don't have to unduly help in catching or detaining illegals, knowingly aiding and abetting a fugitive from Philadelphia who's been deported twice and violated their own in house policies on federal officers detainers. She willingly helped a illegal fugitive to escape.

It also go's into a judges role of upholding the law, not breaking it and whether she is impartial in regards to illegal immigrants or even other court cases.

6. LordVic macrumors 603

While I morally support the stance that the judge took, the judge was completely out of line and committed her own acts of illegal activities by proceeding in such a fashion.

She was a judge. She was actually ina position to try and make meaningful lawful change to the procedures and policy, instead, acted criminally.

While I applaud her for her conviction of person, I can't really support a judge who steps outside of the law, when they could have worked within the law to effect change.

7. Altis macrumors 68030

You "morally support" setting free illegal immigrants with prior deportations, felony drug charges, and an out-of-state fugitive warrant?

8. jerwin macrumors 68020

Courthouses need to be accessible to everyone. Allowing latter-day slavecatchers to stake out the building deprives society of the benefits of a functioning court system.

9. LordVic macrumors 603

No, I morally support that the judge was trying to avoid a potentially unconstitutional detainment of someone by an outside law enforcement that behaves in morally questionable grey area.

As for the person in question, If this individual has a history of criminality and rap sheet of guilty offenses, than tha tindividual should likely have been properly tried and put into jail like a criminal so deserves.

just because I believe that the Judges morality was in the right place doesn't mean I agree with the actions they took.

10. linuxcooldude thread starter macrumors 68020

Morally correct, illegally implemented.

Courthouses generally are and even fugitives get due process. But modern day slave-catchers?...No. No one forced him to come to America to work for free, thats on him. Considering he's into drugs, ( Drunk driving was also mentioned? ) wouldn't make him an ideal immigrant to assimilate into our society. Theres nothing moral about that.

11. pshufd macrumors 6502a

Her action also brings into question all of her other court cases.

12. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

sitting on a beach watching a DC simulation ...
    That is very concerning ...

13. pshufd macrumors 6502a

Annie Dookhan.

14. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

sitting on a beach watching a DC simulation ...
    That name rings a bell. :oops:

15. daflake macrumors 6502a

Maybe he can stay with you?