Judge Rules Michigan's Ban on Gay Marriage Unconstitutional

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rdowns, Mar 21, 2014.

1. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Wont anyone think of the wedding cake bakers.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/crime-c...gans-ban-gay-marriage-unconstitutional-n59116

2. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Two supportive parents instead of one?!? Think of the children! :eek:

3. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Wait a minute...the state's main argument focused on the fact that it was the "will of the people"???? Did their attorneys just finish law school yesterday? What kind of a weak sauce argument is that? Any judge with two functioning braincells knows that the method for putting a law into place has NOTHING to do with whether it's constitutional or not.

----------

Oh, and I hope the emergency stay gets denied this time.

4. Meister Suspended

Meister

Everytime two gays marry, Jesus cries and a kitten dies.
    Can you live with that?

They should hire me as their attorney! :D

5. SwiftLives macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

Probably just another activist liberal hippie judge nominated by either Obama or Clinton after they'd puffed a few. Because a law-abiding self-respecting America-loving Republican judge would never attempt to legislate from the bench.

What's that?

He was nominated by...Reagan!?

6. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Your lines always make me laugh:D.

7. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Anybody else find it odd that nobody is held responsible (prosecuted) for breaking the laws of the land when legislation is passed that is unconstitutional? It's not like we all cannot read the document and have a good sense of what it does and does not allow....

8. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Nope, there is plenty of ambiguity in the constitution, which is why different judges can come to different conclusions based on the same thing. Plus congress is allowed to pass whatever they want, and if there is any question about it being enforceable or not then that's the court's job to decide.

9. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

That the constitution allows gay marriage is pretty ****ing clear.

10. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

The constitution doesn't explicitly say anything about marriage, and it is only recently that the courts have decided it does, so would you recommend prosecuting judges that have upheld laws in the past which later ones decide are unconstitutional?

11. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Doesn't the constitution protect "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness"? I don't see how love and marriage aren't a key part of the pursuit of happiness.

Additionally it should also be covered by the 14th amendments equal protection clause.

Once homosexuality wasn't classed as a mental illness gay marriage should have been legal in the United States.

12. EvilQueen macrumors 6502

Michigan almost....then not

So the ban on gay marriage was overturned, then a bunch of people got married, then it was appealed so there is a stay.:rolleyes:

I don't really care but my husband is all up in arms over the stay.

Wish they would just get all this over with.

13. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Why don't you care? How can you not care about the rights of your fellow citizens?

And from another angle, if you truly didn't care this thread would have never been posted. I find that most people who say "I don't care" are usually in the opponent camp.

And lastly, this update could have been posted in the existing Michigan gay marriage thread. Just sayin.

14. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

It's beyond ridiculous that these people are continuing to waste taxpayer dollars with these appeals.

SCOTUS's rulings last year made the decision that bans on gay marriage are unconstitutional. That's why now every time a state ban comes up in court, it's shot down now.

It's ridiculous and abhorrent that there are people who keep trying to appeal these decisions to try to deny people their civil rights. They should be ashamed.

15. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

And they will be ashamed when their grandchildren are ashamed of them.

16. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I hope your husband gets his wish that gay marriage will be reinstituted after the appeal. :)

17. EvilQueen macrumors 6502

I have explained that a bunch of times. A piece of paper and approval by some government body does not define the relationship between my husband and I. So I don't care if I can go get a license, I still won't.

----------

Me too, but not for me. For everyone else. Personally I am tired of hearing about it.

18. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

It must be exhausting.

19. Andeavor macrumors 6502

It's much more than that. Without that piece of paper either partner can lose everything in the worst time possible. Or worse, be excluded in times of pain and heartache.

You may sneer at that but you wouldn't want a stranger tell you you have no right to your property or your children's care.

20. rdowns thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

You may tire of hearing about it but you sure don't get it. It is hardly a piece of paper with government approval of your relationship. It has to do with rights, something like over 100 of them that straight married couples enjoy.

21. malman89, Mar 24, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2014

malman89 macrumors 68000

Not necessarily. I'm ashamed of my old, racist Grandma*, but last I checked she was still old and racist. Those old farts are too stubborn, ignorant, and set in their ways to be ashamed. We just need them to die off.

*Note: My Grandma is a sweet old lady. A little racist too, but that's life. I was more speaking of an uncle, but old racist granny is much more amusing.

22. EvilQueen macrumors 6502

In my experience, that has never been an issue. I know there are sensationalized cases on the news, but I believe in the real world it's far less of an issue.

----------

I get it just fine. I just don't feel the same about it as you.

23. rdowns thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

When you make a statement like, "A piece of paper and approval by some government body does not define the relationship between my husband and I.", it is clear you don't get it.

24. Andeavor macrumors 6502

I don't know what "real" world you live in but I know straight couples who had issues because they didn't sign that stupid piece of paper.

25. Meister Suspended

Meister

I dont know why same-gender marriage is always equated with homosexuality. People can get married no matter what their sexuality is. That would take those weird classifications of psychologists out of the picture.
    Thats something thats more related to the culture in the united states i think.