Judge rules New York City bar can refuse service to Trump supporter wearing MAGA hat

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by LIVEFRMNYC, Apr 29, 2018.

1. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

2. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

So at first glance, it appears that this came down to what is considered to be a protected class. As far as I know, political affliction isn’t one, so the bar had the right to kick them out.

Then, later in the article, we have the owner stating that it had nothing to do with the hat at all:

So it seems unclear what the heck is going on here. It sounds like it’s one person’s word against the other.

I will say this, though. Be careful what things you celebrate. I personally have no problem with a business asking someone to leave for most any reason, but I have a suspicion that you wouldn’t have the same opinion here if a bar had kicked out an Obama or Hillary supporter just because of political affiliation.

3. MarkusL macrumors 6502

Let’s see... Printed on the hat is a prayer to a mythical being believed to have magical powers to make Mexico pay for the wall, and to make the best deals. All without any basis in reality. I think it passes the test for being a religious garment.

4. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Waiting for the left to lose their **** the first time a demo supporter gets kicked out of a business.

5. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

If he was just wearing it, let him stay. If he was using it to creat a disturbance, it’s a different matter.

6. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

I would just never go there again. The bar owner is in the wrong, but there’s plenty of great bars in NYC and I don’t think the legal fees are worth it

7. appleisking macrumors 6502a

Absolutely the legal fees aren’t worth it since you’d lose anyway. Private establishment can kick anyone out for almost any reason.

8. ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

I heard about this and I also heard the conflicting stories. As usual, hard to see through the smoke and mirrors.

I don't agree with businesses kicking people out because of political affiliation, but for example, if someone had a shirt on that said "F**K [insert whomever you hate]" then maybe that shirt alone could be seen as creating a disturbance. Not this hat, though. As is usual with the business/freedom conundrum, there's no easy answer when it comes to non-protected classes. Just how much freedom do businesses have to refuse service?

This story is being compared to the "cake wars" issue, but the difference there is that was a specific service being denied to anyone, not that gay people were being kicked out of an establishment for being gay (which is illegal to do).

9. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

I agree. Anyone who is being obnoxious does not have the right to disrupt someone’s place of business.

This is a really bad road to venture down though. I would hope someone wouldn’t be kicked out of a place of business for wearing a Clinton Shirt or a Bernie Shirt, or based on their sexuality or religion.

10. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68040

Mac'nCheese

But no comment on this actual case?

11. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I think businesses should be allowed to make their own decisions even at the detriment of their own business. To me the reactions and supporting the action of kicking someone out for their political view/wearing a hat is more of a commentary on the left not being able to survive outside of their own echo chamber though.

12. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

He was kicked out of the restaurant. He was wearing a MAGA hat. These two things do not appear to be connected. Once again,

The judge rejected the man's claim that his hat was the reason he was kicked out. Oh, and that the dog ate his homework.

13. JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

When your lawyer goes into the court with...

https://www.esquire.com/food-drink/bars/a20083705/maga-hat-new-york-bar-lawsuit-settled/

But your own story is you were kicked out because of your political leanings, YOU need to get YOUR story straight. A factor in proving the honesty of your own story is at least having a consistent one.

Bottom line though is whatever story anyone wants to go with, the business owner wasn't in the wrong in any of them.

Ah... :rolleyes: To savor the moments on this forum when the business owner is in the wrong to exercise their right to do whatever they want in their business. Mmmmmm... :p

14. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

So a man behaving badly is also wearing a MAGA hat.

15. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I thought we were abstracting the argument and assuming he wasn't acting like a total asshat. I don't have a problem with kicking him out on those grounds. It seems like bad business practice to kick someone out for displaying a political affiliation though.

16. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Hmm. “Ass hat” is actually a pretty good description of those things...

06064D78-2F18-4A72-91D5-7F76B1EF2606.jpeg

17. statik13 macrumors regular

statik13

The trouble is the hat has become so ubiquitous. I see it as no different than how a bar can refuse to serve biker's who wear their "colors" into the establishment.

18. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

My inclination would be to tread lightly in the case of a person wearing a MAGA hat due to the high likelihood that they would be covered in some way by the ADA. But, generally, if you put up a shingle, as it were, and open your door to the street, you are inviting in anyone who might want to come in. Your discretion in terms of rejecting business is somewhat limited: you have the right to turn away people for cause (observed or previously bad behavior, or perhaps if they smell really unpleasant) but not arbitrarily (the halal sandwich shop would probably not be right to bar entry to someone dressed like a Hasidic Jew without substantive cause).

19. cfurlin macrumors regular

cfurlin

They already did when a florist refused to do a gay couple’s wedding. She was sued.

20. eatrains macrumors 6502

And your post is a commentary on the right not knowing how to read articles for the details surrounding a story and instead jumping to incorrect conclusions to reinforce their warped world view.

21. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

It's pretty simple. Refusing service based on sex/gender is not okay. Refusing service based on political affiliation is okay.

22. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I'm just old-fashioned enough to know that no gentleman ever wears a hat indoors.

The irony of the MAGA ("Make America Great Again...") imbeciles making this sort of kerfuffle is something else.

Guys: Take your hat off when you cross the threshold. Nobody cares about your bald spot. Your grey hair. Or your affection for the Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp minor league baseball team.

[​IMG]
    Jus' sayin'

23. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Well, if you went into a sports bar in Ann Arbor ostentatiously decked out in Buckeyes gear to watch the big Michigan/Ohio State game, I could see the bar bouncing you based on the likelihood of a brawl developing over the outcome of the game. But that would not be discrimination, per se.

24. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

If you walk into a restaurant and get verbally abusive to staff, it doesn’t matter which way you lean politically, I don’t think you’ll find many people who would not support him being thrown out.

What the hell does this obsession with ‘the left’ have to do with this story?! It’s completely irrelevant and you appear to have jumped on a bandwagon without processing the facts in this story.

25. CLS727 macrumors regular

CLS727

Perfect example is the bakery that refused to make cake for gay wedding....