Judge Sentences Rapist To Work At Rape Crisis Center

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by steve knight, May 3, 2014.

1. steve knight, May 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2014

steve knight Suspended

steve knight

This is horrible and fails on so many levels. Not only is the female judge victim blaming because the girl was not a virgin. To give this Piece of **** community service at a rape crisis center I mean how can a judge be so stupid? it is hard to believe. Then he does not get any jail time and a pathetic sentence that will wipe out his record if he behaves. well it is texas so that says most of it right there.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/05/01/sir-young-rapist-gets-light-sentence_n_5251116.html

2. aerok macrumors 65816

aerok

Your link doesn't work and I really think he'll have a harder time at the rape crisis center than jail, with everybody hating him there.

3. steve knight thread starter Suspended

steve knight

So put a rapist among rape victims? well thats awful kind of you. all the woman going through the horrors of getting raped in the mist of a rapist? Better to put him in jail with his own kind.

4. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

your link is not working, at least for me, try this one

I can't find what you listed in that link.

5. steve knight thread starter Suspended

steve knight

got it fixed. the cut and paste seemed to have screwed it up.

6. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

judge is a moron for doing so, but IF what you posted is correct
    then maybe she did not believe the victim at all.

7. aerok macrumors 65816

aerok

I totally agree that he belongs in jail, I just think he'll have a harder time there. I think most victims will attempt to kick him in the nuts.

8. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

There is no excuse for rape. Anyone who commits rape is trash even if the victim isn't a perfect individual.

The parents of a certain 14-year-old girl have really failed on this one.

9. steve knight thread starter Suspended

steve knight

rape is rape no matter the background of the victim. the judge is typical blaming the victim. hey she had sex before so whats the big deal of more sex???

----------

it's texas They have horrible abstinence only teaching and other stupid primitive notions.

10. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

I am NOT excusing it, the guy did plead guilty, I don't know why there was such a light sentence.

11. aerok macrumors 65816

aerok

it's Texas, nuff said

12. steve knight thread starter Suspended

steve knight

it was light because she blamed the victim. if she was a virgin and tried to kill him maybe it would have been rape but she thought it was just sex.

13. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Rape is a high crime in my book. On par with murder and child molestation.

Rape crisis center? He wishes. The gallows is more like it.

Mind you, this sounds like it falls under "date rape" and this is one of those things that is very tricky and often times turns into he said, she said which puts judges and the jury in a tough position.

We want to do right by the victim who was violated, but we don't want to send an innocent person to prison because their sex partner has buyer's remorse.

Very tricky to know what's right without something clean cut to help

14. thekev, May 4, 2014
    Last edited: May 4, 2014

thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I think he was probably closer on this one. It's more likely that she doesn't believe the girl that this was non-consensual at the time than it is that she she is actively blaming the victim. That doesn't make it right. It's just the more likely explanation. The story doesn't go into much detail on when it was reported, if there was any evidence of violence, etc. I looked for more details on the story, but I can't find anything. The sites are all running the same basic story.

15. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

The victim was 14 and the rapist, Sir Young was 18 at the time that this incident happened. He's 20 now. He will serve 45 days in jail, and do 250 hours working in a rape crisis center. Here's the really bad part, if he completes this short little sentence he will have NO RECORD. He will not be branded a sex offender for life. The victim said "No" and "Stop" repeatedly during the rape. No, means no.

Besides she was 14!!! The fact that she was already sexually active and had already had a child just speaks to the fact that her parents failed miserably. The judge deserved to be off the bench for this one. In Texas the age of consent is 17 or 14 if there is less than a 3 year age difference. He was 18 at the time, she was 14.

16. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

I guess the judge doesn't know the statistic that a lot of rape victims KNOW their attacker. Doesn't matter if she was sexually active, had a kid, etc. Rape is rape. Especially statutory rape( so even if the victim has been claiming it was consensual, it's still rape under the law).

The one question I would ask the judge is this.... If she was the one to contact me for whatever reason and I decided to then rape her and she is sexually active and has a kid, do I deserve the same sentence she handed to this rapist under her logic?

17. JohnLT13 macrumors 6502a

JohnLT13

Do you have children? We as parents try and do/say/teach all the right things. But when your child walks out that door and is subjected to the peer pressures of todays youth all the parenting we do seems to dissolve. Yes there are very bad parents out there, but every time a child makes a bad choice why is the parents fault? Kinda arrogant blaming the parent when you have no idea whats going on in the home. When my son was 14 he came home drunk one day after school, we keep no alcohol in the home and Had many discussions about drugs and alcohol. Is it my fault he drank after his friends urged him to do so?

18. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I used to work on a crisis hotline and unfortunately we used to get calls from victims of rape. Some sobbed. Some were so broken we could hardly hear them they were so quiet. Frankly some found their attackers so pathetic and inept that they laughed nervously when they reported it to us (think 'medical humor' or 'battlefield humor' and you'd get the idea). You just can't tell how people will react outwardly to stress. I am always surprised when law enforcement officers and judges fail to comprehend this simple fact.

19. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Yes, it is your fault. If your child is fourteen you are responsible for his/her actions. Keep in mind that until you take ownership for it, you can't fix it. Over my life, I've been a father to one, stepfather to six, and another I just borrow. This girl's parents allowed her to be sexually active, date boys and even have a baby! You are dang right that they are failures as parents.

We, as the parents need to be responsible and in control of our children. Not the other way around. I'm sorry but as a parent, you need to know where your child is at all times. Not too long ago, I came across my former stepdaughter, 17-years-old, with a few teenagers. She was dressed in a skirt that was way too short, she was out of bounds and they were all behaving badly. I, as the adult took control of the situation because that is my job. The parents of all involved were called. That's right, I snitched them out. My stepdaughter was taken home, to her mother, by me. She only got to leave the house for school for the next week and she had to <gasp> ride the bus.

Children are getting out of control because we as parents let them. When you throw your hands up in the air and say that you are not responsible for them after they leave your house, you have given them license to do as they please.

20. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

I understand. With two late-teenage daughters, I have to trust that I've taught them well and start letting go.

The time where I can remote-control my kids is over. I've seen other parents try to hang on - but they're only storing up problems for later. Most likely damaging their relationship with their kids too.

21. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I once read some stories about rape at one of the top universities in the UK and 9 out of the 10 cases sounded pretty straightforwardly like rape to me, however there was one case where the girl invited a boy back into her bedroom but only to kiss. To me in some ways that seems less of an invasion than someone who chases girls at a club who clearly aren't interested - and certainly it is vastly less bad than other rapes.

I'm not saying that that is what happened in this case, but it *could* have been given what we know.

22. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Eraserhead the problem is that even if the were both consenting, in this case it is unlawful. A 14-year-old cannot give an 18-year-old permission to have sex with her. It's at a minimum statutory rape. The fact that she said, "No" and "Stop" makes it fall into forcible rape. No means no, there aren't exceptions to this. Not knowing her age isn't an excuse either.

In Texas, the age of consent is 17 unless there is three years difference and then it is 14. The worst part is that this guy isn't even going to be on the sexual offenders list.

23. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I noticed the quote. What I meant was that for the judge to hand down that sentence suggests that she didn't believe it was non-consensual, only statutory. I'm still surprised by that.

24. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

My point is that if you invite a boy into your bed you are implicating you want to have sex with them, at that point if you aren't very forceful about saying no then really you are kinda consenting. Really if you didn't want to have sex with the boy you shouldn't have let him into your bed in the first place.

Relationships are always about reading implicit messages correctly, everyone is going to misread them from time to time, and if you let someone into your bed you are sending a certain implicit message.

The same applies in reverse. If I invite a girl into my bed and then change my mind and she forces herself upon me, is that really rape? Or should I have avoided inviting her into my bed?

25. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

Misread somebody saying "No, don't"? :confused::confused: