Judge Strikes Down Trump's Executive Order On Family Detention.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by ThisIsNotMe, Jul 10, 2018.

1. ThisIsNotMe Suspended

2. widgeteer Suspended

3. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

4D chess....the first time I've seen it play out like I heard it would.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 10, 2018 ---
    This is absolutely a win for Trump.

4. ThisIsNotMe thread starter Suspended

Yup. Now Trump gets his deterrent back and can once again blame the Democrats.
    If there is one thing that will unite people around any cause, its illegal immigration/illegal alines being released unfettered into the United States.

5. widgeteer Suspended

Yeah, more pictures of children in internment camps will be YUUUUUUUGE for the GOP. But hey, Dear Leader said it's the Democrats' fault, so of course everyone will have no choice but to believe it cause that worked the first time around!

If you can't spot the sucker in the room in the first 30 seconds, just look for the Trump voter...

6. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

You really don't get this one, do you? I can explain it if you ask nicely.

7. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Who's winning??

8. widgeteer Suspended

OMG yes, please explain it! This is going to be *amazing*.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 10, 2018 ---
    Trump! He's going to blame da Dems! 5D Chutes and Ladders!

9. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

I like you. It may not seem like it but I do. Anyway...
    People were being caught at the border who had children with them. There was already something on the books called the Flores Settlement Agreement or sometimes called the Flores Consent Decree. The important part of that is that it states the US cannot detain an illegal immigrant child for more than 20 days. So the Trump administration was following that settlement when they were holding the parents and removing the kids from detention. The media, in predictable fashion, wanted to make the Trump administration look bad to they acted like the Flores thing was false and that Trump could simply ignore it. So Trump sings the executive order knowing it would be challenged in court. He even said that he expected litigation. He was right. And, as predicted, he lost. But in losing what is the judge saying? Basically that the Flores agreement, which the media tried to dismiss, is the real deal and Trump can't go around it with en EO. Do you think the Washington Post will issue a correction to their article? So we are back where we were a month ago...the law is the law and it is being enforced enforced and if Congress doesn't like it then they can get off their asses and change it.

10. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

Except that you left out the part where the judge specifically explained alternatives that wouldn't violate the Flores settlement and still allowed the court cases to move forward.

Republicans love setting up false dichotomies, so they can pretend to have no choice but to do the wrong thing.

11. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

He already did that, 100 times.
    Nothing to see.
    Keep moving.

12. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

I don't think it has anything to do with being an Obama appointed judge.

Trump's executive order went against a law and I doubt anyone familiar with the law and the executive action thought that Trump's executive action would stand.

13. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

Are you talking about the part where she wrote “Absolutely nothing prevents Defendants from reconsidering their current blanket policy of family detention and reinstating prosecutorial discretion"?

14. ThisIsNotMe thread starter Suspended

You mean releasing them into the United States unfettered?
    Yes Democrats, please run on releasing illegal alines into the United States unfettered in 2018.

15. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

The government tried that argument. 86% of families show up for all of their court proceedings. You are making up an imaginary problem.

16. borgranta macrumors 6502

borgranta

This judge just destroyed Democrat credibility

17. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

By not allowing the government to violate the law? That's a strange bar you have set.

18. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

The judge certainly hurt the credibility of those who were choosing to dismiss Flores.

19. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

Who were those people choosing to dismiss Flores?

20. Vanilla Ice macrumors 6502

Vanilla Ice

For Trump, I agree.

21. mac_in_tosh macrumors 6502

mac_in_tosh

While on the subject of people entering the country, how did Melania get one of those "genius VISA's" for extraordinary ability? And what happened to her promise during the campaign that she would show her immigration papers? I guess that promise had as much weight as Trump's one about his tax returns. Just curious.

22. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

Anyone who was saying there is no law requiring the kids be separated from their parents. Chuck Schumer, for one, said that President Trump caused it. The Washington Post article I linked blamed the president. Here are a couple lines:

The president and top administration officials say U.S. laws or court rulings are forcing them to separate families that are caught trying to cross the southern border.
    These claims are false.

The Trump administration implemented this policy by choice and could end it by choice. No law or court ruling mandates family separations.

Apparently the judge disagrees with that last line. They won't, but the Washington Post should run a correction or update to that article. So the law is now clear and the push back from the left is going to be....don't enforce the law? I'm not sure that's a winner.

23. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

If they are seeking asylum, they are not acting illegally. Of course, their request for asylum can be turned down and the they can be deported. If they genuinely were entering the country illegally, the question is whether we have to convict them of a crime before deporting them. My understanding is that the recent situation arose because Sessions ordered that criminal convictions be sought. I would have thought a warning would suffice, particularly if the warning states that if they enter illegally again they will be charged with a crime for both instances.

24. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

Well it's something of a win, because the last time the news was full of pictures of screaming babies standing next to their mamas being questioned by dudes in uniform, everyone looked at that instead of reading the updated info about Wilbur Ross and his ever so not quite divested finances, offered up by a piece in Forbes that may as well have been back by the tax deficiency notices in a local newspaper. That was definitely a win for Wilbur Ross even if Trump was taking a beating from the real news reporters on that day. Sometimes his shills do get lucky.

Still it's not a very Trumpian win for Trump here that he brought a case to court that was struck down and is now stuck with having to deal again with immigration legally, under a patchwork of piss poor laws. Meanwhile Congress refuses to reform immigration just because it can't or won't acknowledge all the "issues" that affect so many pocketbooks, large and small.

A true Trump-style "even a loss is a win" win on this matter is probably yet to come, i.e. when he tweets something negative about the judge who ruled against the case his administration brought. He should tweet something about immigration and Congress instead, but then either actually lead or else stand back instead of interfering with their efforts the way he's already done this year. Guy can't even make hay off the deficiencies of another branch of government...

25. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

I see you haven't gotten to my next post. Should I wait?