Judge to rape victim, " Consider how this will devestate the boys life"

quagmire

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 19, 2004
I don't post here that often, but holy crap this disgusts me that it got my blood boiling.

Some goodies from the article.....

According to court documents, the boy filmed the encounter, the girl's bare torso exposed and her head repeatedly banging against a wall. He allegedly shared the video with friends, and it continued to circulate for months despite the girl's pleas for him to stop its dissemination.

At one point, according to documents, he texted friends: "[w]hen your first time having sex was rape."

Prosecutors called his actions "sophisticated and predatory" and pushed for him to be waived from the juvenile court system and tried as an adult. However, in July 2018, a family court judge denied the request"
In his denial, Judge James Troiano of Monmouth County Superior Court said the boy's actions were not predatory and not necessarily rape because "traditional" rape cases involve "two or more generally males involved, either at gunpoint or weapon, clearly manhandling a person."

He said the boy shouldn't be tried as an adult because he "comes from a good family who put him into an excellent school," because he was an Eagle Scout, because he was probably headed for a "good college" and because his "scores for college entry were very high."

Troiano said the girl and her family should have been told that bringing charges against the boy could have a "devastating effect" on his life.
So lets recap:

• The boy is proud that his first time is raping a girl
  • But don't worry, according to the judge, only gang rapes is rape
  • the girls family should have known that holding the boy accountable for his actions could devastate his life

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/03/us/new-jersey-rape-minor-teen-judge-case-trnd/index.html

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I don’t like the sound of this.
  • Bad judge, apparently does not know the definition of rape or is in excuse protect the family/boy mode.
  • The good school boy is going to, “good family” has nothing to do with it.
  • Tried as an adult, if he was an adult at the time of the assault. I’ve never liked these exceptions were rules are established for trying minors, but then someone wants to throw those rules out. Either have them or don’t have them.
  • Was this statutory rape?
  • Was the girl a willing participant (which may not matter if statutory rape)?

Last edited:
Reactions: jkcerda

jeyf

macrumors 65816
Jan 20, 2009
bad judge:
they dress like they are living the Doctor Who 1990 tv series
you might read the reports from your local judicial review board. Some of the behavior is sad and or humorous.

Reactions: Huntn

ThisBougieLife

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2016
SF Bay Area, California
He devastated his life when he chose to rape her. You’d think a judge of all people would understand that actions have consequences. And yes, they even have consequences when you’re from a “good family”. I guess if he had been from a lower-income family the judge would’ve thrown the book at him. Have to consider that “affluenza” defense!

Mousse

macrumors 68020
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
i think (not) it's how they dress too
That's the oldest excuse for rape in the books.:mad::mad::mad: She dress provocatively.:rolleyes: Equine excrement. Anyone who uses that excuse should be summarily executed.

I don't know much about women, but I do know they don't dress fancy to impress guys. They do that to make other women jealous.:p Any woman who wants to rev a guy's engine knows she doesn't have to wear anything.:oops:

Anyhow. I don't buy the boy comes from a good family rubbish.:mad: Good grades != good person. IF he had come from a family with any moral values whatsoever, he would not have been sharing those sex tapes. He definitely would never have raped her. Hail, if I ever pulled a stunt like that, Dad would gone full on William Bligh.o_O

Lt. Fletcher Christian: But the prisoner is dead sir!
Captain William Bligh: Never mind, continue with the punishment!

blackfox

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2003
PDX
Cross the border illegally (even if valid reasons are there for doing so) - "We don't care, wrong is wrong - actions have consequences..." Rape an intoxicated girl (where there are no valid reasons) - "Well...he seems like a good kid, perhaps he made an honest mistake - oh, and the girl is kinda a slut. We think his actions don't deserve the necessary consequences - that would be mean." Lovely.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
Cross the border illegally (even if valid reasons are there for doing so) - "We don't care, wrong is wrong - actions have consequences..." Rape an intoxicated girl (where there are no valid reasons) - "Well...he seems like a good kid, perhaps he made an honest mistake - oh, and the girl is kinda a slut. We think his actions don't deserve the necessary consequences - that would be mean." Lovely.
I see no correlation between a larger discourse on immigration and what clearly is a bad judge in one specific case of rape.

appleisking

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2013
Lock up the judge in the same cell as this filth since he likes him so much. I hope the ABA is looking into this.

Reactions: jkcerda

GermanSuplex

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2009
Edit*

That is a really lame excuse and not acceptable. A person's background, financial status or school has nothing to do with what happened. I agree that the law can sometimes be tricky when sentencing people, but this is at an absurd end of the spectrum.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scepticalscribe

laptech

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
The OP has missed off an important part of that report which would allow posters to make a more informed decision on what they post...

A court hands back the case
On June 14, the Appellate Division of the New Jersey Superior Court reversed Troiano's decision and sent the case back down for further judgment.

Reactions: T'hain Esh Kelch

quagmire

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 19, 2004
The OP has missed off an important part of that report which would allow posters to make a more informed decision on what they post...
Yeah sorry, should have mentioned an appeals court overturned this judges ruling.

Reactions: Raid

VulchR

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
Wow, that any judge would make such asinine comments is unfathomable. In Scotland having sex with a drunk person is considered sexual assault because it precludes consent (see link). Perhaps New Jersey pass a law like this so that this stupid idea that drunk women (and men) are fair game even if they are incapacitated.
[doublepost=1562333296][/doublepost]
Yeah sorry, should have mentioned an appeals court overturned this judges ruling.
A good thing, obviously.

quagmire

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 19, 2004
How is this different from judges refusing to sentence illegal aliens with felonies because they would then be deported ?
And this is why I don't post here often.... People want to bring outside issues into a thread that has no bearing on the issue at hand..... Already had one person try to bring in illegal immigration.... Now again.....

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Still this thread is about atrocious judicial judgement by an individual intrusted with interpreting the law. That stands, yes?

Reactions: Raid

Plutonius

macrumors 604
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
And this is why I don't post here often.... People want to bring outside issues into a thread that has no bearing on the issue at hand..... Already had one person try to bring in illegal immigration.... Now again.....
I don't believe that it's an outside issue.

It shows that judicial activism, like in this rape case, occurs.