July 7th VZW goes tiered data! Currented 4G LTE unlimited customers grandfathered in!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Cali4ever, Jun 19, 2011.

1. s.hasan546 macrumors 6502

good i hope that happens. I get to keep my unlimited plan plus i get to lower my parents's data plans since they barely use it.

2. Pmoser macrumors member

Why dont we just let verizon do what they want to do. When the time comes it will happen there is nothing me or you can change that

3. flipster macrumors 6502a

4. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

And if it has the battery life of the current Verizon 4G phone.........well I'll stick with the iPhone 4 and unlimited data.

5. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Don't hold your breath.

6. flipster macrumors 6502a

My contract is up when the suppose iPhone 4G is suppose to come out (July next year). I'll probably keep my iPhone 4 for a little just to see how Apple is going to manage the battery on it. As of right now, 4G is such a battery drainer and is my main concern for the 4G iPhone. The HTC Thunderbolt is blazing fast, but the battery also drains in like 4 hours

7. utwarreng macrumors 6502

utwarreng

Who said anything about changing anything? The post is meant to be informational, so those who have been thinking they might wait until the last minute to get their unlimited plan alongside an fifth generation iPhone, will now realize they won't be able to wait and switch.

8. andyx3x macrumors 65816

I don't believe this article. It was posted on Friday and none of the major tech sites have run with it, so I don't believe it's true.

Eventually, it is going to change but this July 7 date is probably BS.

9. Votekinky06 macrumors 6502

So, will those with unlimited data on ip4 be grandfathered in and receive unlimited 4g when the iPhone goes 4g?

10. soco macrumors 68030

soco

I don't believe the article either, but I've still been wondering this. We know the tiered data is on the way, but in what fashion and what way?

11. daleycss macrumors regular

NO! I have an upgrade and want an iphone on July 11th! It's not fair...

12. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

That's the real question. It's one thing to allow you to keep unlimited data on you're current device, but will they let you keep when it's time to upgrade?

13. soco macrumors 68030

soco

Well I think it boils down to one technicality:

Verizon (and AT&T for that matter) offers both a 3G unlimited plan and an LTE unlimited plan. If they want to, and I feel like they might, they could pull a quick one and say, "Whoa now kiddies. You're technically changing your plan entirely. Switching to LTE plans is very complicated. We'll have to go tiered for you."

Complicated as in dropdown menus.

14. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

According to AT&T you already have one.

15. chr macrumors regular

Verizon Tiered Data Plans Begin July 7

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/06/2...ly-7-packages-start-at-30-for-2gb/#more-37272

Set to go live July 7th.

Data plans:
    2GB – $30/month
    5GB – $50/month
    10GB – $80/month
    If you would like to add tethering on to any of those packages, you can purchase 2GB of data at an additional cost of $20 per month.

Data plans w/ tethering:
    4GB – $50/month
    7GB – $70/month
    12GB – $100/month

16. ritmomundo macrumors 68000

ritmomundo

Ouch that sucks. I hope this applies only to new data plan subscriptions, and those of us with the $30/unlimited will be grandfathered in...

17. wordoflife, Jun 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2011

wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

18. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Ouch, Verizon = expensive. Not the place to go to if you are on a budget at all.

On the good side, if you really do use a lot of data, Verizon is willing to let you get a plan that gives you more GB than AT&T's plans do (you just gotta pay for it). Though if you are on a budget and trying to swing a smartphone on a budget, AT&T at least has a cheap option for a small amount of data.

Personally, if I were picking plans, I'd go with AT&T, I don't use that much data (the 2 GB would do me fine and it's cheaper than Verizon's) and I don't have that much money.

As is, until AT&T finds a way to make me change plans, I love my unlimited data plan with them *grin*.

Of course, this looks like speculation and honestly, that doesn't look very competitive to tell the truth. Cause the only people who get advantage of that are those who use a lot of data (which if AT&T speaks the truth most people use under 2 GB) so they'd only convince those people and the people who might be "stuck" with them cause AT&T does not get good service in their area. I honestly wonder if that rumor is true cause to me it would seem to give AT&T a pretty good edge over them pricing wise (then again, the reason I didn't pick them 10 years ago was cause they were really overpriced then so I always saw them as pricey but my understanding is the two have become more equal in price).

19. alent1234 macrumors 603

20. korndawg macrumors regular

If that's also a family data plan, it will save me a bunch of money per month.

21. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Ahaha ha.a haahaa.

No, those are for individual lines, unfortunately.

22. vachargerfan macrumors regular

If by cheaper, you mean 5 dollars a month more then AT&T's 2GB plan, then yes, you are correct

23. tigress666 macrumors 68040

And 5 dollars more if you want tethering for the same amount of GB's on the lowest plan (basically both on the lowest plan will give you 4 GB of data but Verizon will cost you 5 more for that)....

Verizon's plans are only advantageous if you use a lot of data (they do get cheaper once you start using 5 GB of data if you consider AT&T charges you 10 dollars per extra gig you go over your plan).

24. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

It's certainly cheaper, but just the thought of being able to use 5GB ... or even 10GB for $30 right now makes everything seems so expensive.