Just a couple of software questions before I buy my first Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Sammie-moo, Apr 21, 2011.

1. Sammie-moo macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

Sorry if this has been asked before - I had a search through the forums but couldn't find quite what I needed, hopefully this post is in the right place.

I'm in need of a new laptop to replace my failing Laptop. I'm looking at the new MBP 13" but having been a windows user all my life, there's a few bits of software I've come to rely on quite heavily.

I use Skype, MSN Messenger and Microsoft Office every day and i was just wondering whether these programs work just as well on Mac as on Windows? Will the integrated webcam work with messenger and skype? And do MBPs have an integrated microphone too. I know all of these softwares have compatable versions for Mac, I was just wondering how the 'user experience' as such was.

If not, am I better using Bootcamp or Parallels to run them on windows?

And finally, in the few times I've used windows 7, I've really come to love the 'snap to' function where if you've got 2 windows open, it makes them half a screens width each so you can have them open side by side, is there an option/app for this on mac?

Sorry for all the questions, thought I was best just posting them in one thread,

2. simsaladimbamba

Yes.

It works with Skype, but I don't know if it will work with MSM. Maybe MRoogle can help.

Yes. Look here: www.apple.com/macbookpro/ and then click on "Technical Specifications"

No need.

Look for BetterTouchTool

And also have a look at this:

3. Sammie-moo thread starter macrumors newbie

4. MacRenegade macrumors member

The latest version of Microsoft Messenger for Mac (version 8) has support for webcam.

5. Knoodles macrumors 6502

Knoodles

Cinch is another option for the windows snap to function.

6. libertysat macrumors regular

Personally I like Paralells, it lets me run windows like a mac program and not necessary to reboot into windows or mac only mode as with bootcamp

Get enough memory so both OSs running don't bog you down

7. Sammie-moo, Apr 24, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2011

Sammie-moo thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the help everyone :)

Libertysat (or anyone who can help) If I install parallels and run Snow Leopard and Windows 7 would 4GB of RAM and a 320GB hard drive be enough? (also, will running windows 7 reduce the battery life on my mac?) Oh and also, if I give windows 2GB of RAM to run in parallels, if I just boot up one operating system, will it be able to use the full 4GB of RAM or does it mean that each OS is limited to 2GB even when parallels is not in use? Sorry if I didn't phrase that very well!

~Sammie

8. DeepIn2U macrumors 68040

DeepIn2U

VMWare lets you run this too.
    Personally I find the USB support better in VMWare 3.1 vs Parallels 5 Desktop (v6 Parallels debuted not too recently already haven't tested). You'll find waring sanctions of users across these boards preferring one over another (take a look how each is implemented and choose for your own). I'm just so happy I have 1 machine that can run multiple OS when I choose.

Forgive our manners here as we're so used to helping as much as we all can ...

Welcome to the world of OS X, may your stay be a very pleasant one!