Just added a Gig of Ram to my First Gen MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sbrhwkp3, Sep 1, 2009.

1. sbrhwkp3 macrumors 6502a

sbrhwkp3

...because SL requires 1 Gig, and I only had 512 MB.

I'm shocked at how much smoother this machine is running. It almost feels brand new; very peppy, smooth, my applications pop right open.

The best part about it is, I got it from some place called Data Memory Systems, and with overnight shipping it only cost me 27 bucks.

Best 27 bucks I think I've ever spent.

It's a good thing, too. I was starting to get pretty irritated with this machine.

2. chriszzz macrumors 6502

I can't possibly comprehend why you would ever be running 512 mb with the prices of RAM being as low as they are.

3. pacers721 macrumors member

i bet that if you added another gig, you'd experience bump in performance (probably not as big as the first one though)

4. jamin100 macrumors 6502

Yeh 2GB is the bare minimum i'd run on any machine these days.

5. sbrhwkp3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

sbrhwkp3

This machine maxes out at 2 GB.

I find it funny you all are shocked I was running at 512. :eek:

I've just owned it for awhile and haven't really done much to it hardware wise.

I did swap out the 80 GB Hard drive for a 320 GB drive, and that helped. But this just made worlds of difference.

6. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

Maxing it out will make it fly :)

7. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

I would have added 2 gigs in the first place. It prevents your computer from caching data to the HDD which is orders of magnitute slower than RAM. CPU might get heavy tasks carried out faster but for a smooth computing behaviour it's all about RAM and HDD access times.

8. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

By "added a Gig" do you not mean that you replaced 1x256MB stick for a 1GB stick, or did your laptop have 1x512MB stick leaving 1 slot open? If you're running mismatched sticks now, for a total of 1.25GB, I recommend replacing the remaining 256MB stick with another 1GB stick for a total of 2GB of RAM. You will notice a further increase in performance after having done so. The way I see it, with the cost of RAM today, you might as well go to the maximum amount that your machine can utilize of 2GB.