Just added the 15" MBPr to my collection! (Pics of setup)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by atrac7, Jun 16, 2013.

1. atrac7 macrumors regular

So I just received my 15" MBPr after not being able to wait for the Haswell update as well as deciding to relegate my old 13" Pro as a permanent desktop setup. Got it at a great price and decided to make it 16gb ram. Holy crap, this computer has blown away ALL of my expectations!

Here's a pic of some mac goodness (minus the win 8 lenovo tablet and HP monitor!)

Thanks for looking guys :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. james1758 macrumors regular

james1758

whats your opinion on the 11" MBA? Whats your primary uses for it? (As I can see its obviously not your main computer:p)

3. mdapple macrumors regular

so how do you manage to use 3 laptops at once ;P. Nice setup tho.

4. atrac7 thread starter macrumors regular

Hi James--actually, it's the 13" MBA--it just looks smaller for some reason in the pic!

The Air is my primary work computer that I carry to me at the office. I run Windows 7 Enterprise on parallels on it for the most part, but will do my personal browsing and light graphics related stuff on it on my downtime during lunches and breaks. It's served me well, but probably because I don't demand too much from it. (I do Financial Analysis with Cost Control/Pricing as my career).

Thanks man! I actually connect the Air to the monitor on the left when I am home (currently turned off in the pic though). The main monitor in the middle is hooked to the 13" Pro and is now my go to desktop platform.

The Retina is now my in-house "mobile" computer. (Out in the patio, bed, couch, etc. it would be a shame to hook it up to a non super res monitor and give up it's retina goodness)

I also use the monitor to game on the 360 or PS3 once in awhile.

5. james1758 macrumors regular

james1758

Oh yeah it does look smaller in the picture! Would you recommend the MBA as laptop? I have the 27" iMac for more intensive cpu tasks !

6. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

Holy smokes, that's a lot of gear on one desk!

Is that the Logitech solar powered Apple keyboard I see? If so, how is it?

7. atrac7 thread starter macrumors regular

It really depends on the usage on it. How much resource demanding things are you doing when mobile? I mainly do spreadsheet, light financial modeling, browsing, outlook, and running Win 7 and OSX together on my air. For the most part the SSD really bolsters the performance and keeps things in check. I don't know if I'd like to be doing a lot of media related processing on it though.

I've noticed when running HD res netflix or youtube videos that other programs may stutter a bit. For the most part though, it has been an awesome asset in the computer bag. Light, tremendous battery life, and quick for everyday tasks (which should suit the majority of the population). Keep out HD video related content, and I can easily open up all of the apps on my dock without much complaint.

Of course, this is all bearing in mind that I have a 2 year old AIR. All your results with the current crop would be much better I'd dare say. The new Haswell MBA 13" is pretty sweet, but I would never consider the 11" device in any situation.

It is indeed the Logitech solar keyboard. It's fantastic in my book because unless you are a vampire, the thing will never lose juice. Never worry about battery level or swapping out. It comes with a cool app that can be toggled by a hot key on the keyboard that tells you much juice you have left and how much light it is sucking in for power reserve. Almost all the time it says 100% power though. I especially appreciate the full sized num pad on the right.

It doesn't run on bluetooth, but has super small nano USB reciever. I personally prefer this as I find that I don't like to tie in necessary peripherals with bluetooth.

I love Apple products, but I tend to only go for the core items: Laptops, and maybe the magic mouse at most (even ditched the iPhone after becoming disappointed with the lack of innovation).

After that, I do not think some of their extra items are worth the money and I enjoy the third party stuff that's out there (Like the HP 27"....full IPS, looks like the iMac display, but at a fraction of the cost!)

8. james1758 macrumors regular

james1758

Yeah my uMBP is getting a tad old now! Even with an SSD! Thanks I'll look into it:)

9. Petulka macrumors member

Can I get link to that middle wallpaper (if its 1440p)?

10. PDFierro macrumors 68040

That's a killer setup. Enjoy it. I'm not sure how much longer I can wait for a Haswell rMBP.

The 15-inch also looks really good in those photos.

11. Mr. RPG macrumors 6502a

Oooh, a Vita. What games do you have for yours?

So you like your 15" rMBP? Where did you buy it at?

12. sofianito macrumors 65816

sofianito

He must be "Paul the Octopus"... :D

Congratulation anyway :)

13. BuCkDoG macrumors 6502

Congrats on joining the family! I agree that it has by far blown away all expectations for myself as well. The screen, the power, the portability, the form factor, everything about it is awesome. Good Luck!

14. Chuck-Norris macrumors 6502a

15. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

For a second I thought you stuck an HP sticker on your iMac's Apple logo, and wondered why someone would do that.

16. tillsbury macrumors 65816

That's some nasty junk you have just in front of the mouse -- needs removing to make your desk look tidy... :D

17. sarakn, Jun 16, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2013

sarakn macrumors 6502a

sarakn

Thanks for this. This makes me want to sell my Dell Desktop to create a similar setup. Oddly, I've not turned that desktop on in about 6 months.

18. bbishop93 macrumors regular

Yeah, how much was that HP monitor and whats the model? That thing is GORGEOUS!

19. PDFierro macrumors 68040

I looked up the monitors on HP's website immediately after I saw the OP. Man, their monitors are really cheap. And they look nice.

20. bbishop93 macrumors regular

Yeah I just saw it too, the only thing holding me back is the 1080p, I wish it was 1440p because I'm not sure how 1080p would look that stretched out on a 27" monitor. I guess I'd have to see for myself in person, but by those pics it looks insanely nice so.

21. JarScott macrumors 68040

JarScott

22. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Yeah, 1440p would be better. Dell has some good monitors, too. But much more pricier than HP.

I'm not sure how I would feel about using a rMBP in combination with a 1080p or even 1440p monitor. There's always the HDMI port for hooking up to a HDTV when you really need it.

23. Seniordan macrumors regular

Hmmm I'm also tempted to order that hp monitor!