Just admit it! It was a bow!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mgguy, Apr 10, 2009.

1. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

The White House on Thursday denied that President Barack Obama bowed to the king of Saudi Arabia at the G20 summit last week. “Did he bow or didn’t he?” a reporter asked White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs on Thursday.

No, I think he bent over…with both hands to shake his hand,” Gibbs said.

The link below provides a video clip that clearly shows this was a bow and not a handshake. Several other youtube videos show that it was a bow. Does anyone here seriously believe this was not a bow?

http://www.examiner.com/x-7517-Seattle-Political-Buzz-Examiner~y2009m4d9-Obama-bows-to-Saudi-King

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

3. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

4. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

5. mgguy thread starter macrumors 6502

mgguy

You may or may not care that he bowed. But surely you must care that they cannot admit it and think people are stupid enough to believe he was merely doing a low-flying handshake. Jeeze, he was low enough to be giving him a BJ.

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Yes, just means that some idiot on his staff screwed up.

A lot of one-upsmanship in photo ops, handshakes, bows, etc. with world leaders.

7. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

difference in cultures maybe?

like dont ninjas bow to each other beofre fighting lol

8. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Why does he have admit to anything, I dont get it. Clearly its a loaded question.

I just dont get why it matters at all.

9. mgguy thread starter macrumors 6502

mgguy

If they don't want to admit to anything, fine. But to flat out lie about it when asked by a reporter is uncool especially when the excuse they gave is so lame.

10. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Apparently, because showing respect for one's culture is apparently a sign of weakness and proof that Obama is a secret Muslim or something. No other president would be dumb enough to do such a thing.

[​IMG]

Oh, oops. I guess Bush is a secret Muslim too.

11. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

No, Bush is on the scent of some good cocaine in his pocket.

12. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

I think the point is that the White House is for whatever reason trying to reshape reality. It doesn't matter that he bowed, it matters that the white house won't admit that he bowed.

Personally, I find this a likable trait in Obama. Conservatives seem to want their leaders to resemble godheads. Obama is happy to be human.

13. mgguy thread starter macrumors 6502

mgguy

Bush claimed that he was bending over to receive a metal from the Saudi leader, as can clearly be seen by the king's raised hands. This is certainly a more plausible explanation that the one Obama gave that he was bending over because he is so much taller than the king and had to bend down this far to reach his hands.

14. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

To be fair to Obama he made the decision to bow based on the best possible intelligence available at the time. If he didn't act america could have been in grave danger within 40 minutes. Who knows what kind of social gratitudes the Saudi King had at his disposal. Pre-emptive social gesturing is an imperative.

15. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I think Gibbs' explanation was perfectly acceptable.

You and the wingnut blogosphere is making a mountain out of a molehill.

16. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

I don't understand why there's a problem with

A) Showing respect for other cultures
    B) Being Muslim

Not all of them are extremists. It's an EXTREMEly small minority.

Just because Americans are the smallest minded, least worldly, and most self-centered group of people doesn't mean their leader, regardless of political party, should show the same lack of intellect.

17. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I wish Obama would surprise the American people by announcing he has been a muslim all this time. It would make my day if I found out that another person's day was ruined by this news.

18. mgguy thread starter macrumors 6502

mgguy

Only true diehard Obama supporters would believe that he was only bending down a tad bit in order to shake the kings hand. I am not bothered at all by the bow. It's just wierd that he would lie about something this small when there is a video contridicting what he is saying.

19. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

It's worth noting that he didn't bow to the Queen of England, but to the King of Saudi Arabia. (So you're culture arguments are crap.)

I don't think the President of the United States of America should bow to any world figure.

btw - I don't think he is a secret Muslim or anything like that. I do think he was showing more affection (dare I say submission) to one leader and not another. The question is that of motive.

20. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Is bowing a sign of submission in florida?

21. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Does a bow in England carry the same cultural connotations as a bow in the middle east?

22. ceezy3000 macrumors 6502

ceezy3000

he bowed, so what, the thing im kind of annoyed about is the lying from the white house. at least he didnt throw up on him or kiss him on the cheek or something stupid. bowing is a sign of respect in the middle ease if u guys werent aware

23. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Holy ****, another one.....

24. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

25. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Personally I don't think any true diehard Obama supporters really care. And if it was a fib, it hardly ranks up there with, "Iraq has WMDs."

Frankly, Scarlett, I don't give a damn.