Just an FYI, no stores will have the MacBook in stock today.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by xPad, Apr 10, 2015.

1. xPad macrumors regular

I know we have all been eagerly following the threads showing availability, hoping for one store somewhere to have some MacBooks for sale, but having talked with the people at the local flagship store, they said what others have been reporting, which is that this launch, Apple is directing people to the web site so that they can get their Macs in a timely manner.

There have been a few people who've gone into a store that actually has stock, but they can't sell it. That gives some hope to maybe being able to pick one up tomorrow, but the catch here is that you'll be back in the same mad dash for trying to find one in stock, and not having to settle for the wrong model, etc.

So, as much as it does suck for those of us who would be beating the initial rush, the best way to get one will be to order online.

That's how it seems to me at least.

2. DarwinOSX macrumors 65816

3. pnewelljr macrumors member

I was told in the SoHo store today that they wont be selling in store until around the 24th...

4. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Good luck.

5. newellj macrumors 603

What a great idea that would be, coincides with the actual Watch rollout??? :rolleyes: :mad:

6. Theophil1971 macrumors 6502

Theophil1971

You're probably right. Or they'll sell them in store on Monday or something. But if they announced that, people wouldn't order online, and wait and mob the stores tomorrow or Monday, which is what they're trying to avoid with this new strategy.

7. xPad thread starter macrumors regular

I'd like to hope you are right, but I'm not optimistic. If they are available before Monday, I'd be surprised. But you never know.

The best scenario I'd expect would be they are available for In Store Pickup if you order online, but not for walk-ins.

But if you get one as a walk-in tomorrow, let us know!

8. dexterbell macrumors 6502a

It's a MacBook not an iPhone. No one is mobbing any store for a MacBook

9. s54 macrumors regular

Historically, the way people were able to get devices on or soon after launch was by doing the following:

1. Go to the website
    2. Configure the device
    3. Place it in the cart
    4. Begin the checkout process
    5. Select in-store pickup on the payment screen
    6. Check availability

Now, the trick was to repeat #6 infinitely many times, until you scored one for in-store pickup. I realize that none of this works right now, but once the devices are actually available for pickup, that's one proven way to get one. I bought multiple devices from Apple this way, including all my iPhones.

Apple stores update their inventory at different times. Having the devices in stock and being ready for pickup are two different things. In the past, I would have to refresh and check availability hundreds and thousands of times before one actually became available for pickup. If you think about it, there are probably several hundred people doing the same thing at the same time. So, if 500 people want to pick up the same laptop tomorrow and there are only 20 available, the chances of getting one are pretty darn small.

Hopefully somebody knows what I'm talking about. I really believe that's the fastest way to get the new MacBook in the store. Of course, nobody knows when the inventory for in-store pickup will be updated. It can happen at any time. Hopefully this evening.

10. Theophil1971 macrumors 6502

Theophil1971

All depends on supply and demand.

11. dexterbell macrumors 6502a

Yeah, no. The people in here all crazed about not being able to get it are probably like 1% of hardcore Apple fans. The other 99% see this as an overpriced, underpowered first gen product they would never buy. Hardly a huge demand.

12. PDFierro macrumors 68040

This is clearly not a case of supply and demand. Shipping estimates will drop, not increase, once Apple gets production ramped up.

13. xPad thread starter macrumors regular

I'm starting to think that the stock that some people have reported, which the stores can't currently sell, aren't for sale at all, and instead is earmarked for exchanges.

I now doubt any walk-ins will be available for a least a few days, depending on how strong online sales are.

14. OrdinaryAvgGuy macrumors member

I think 98.5% have never heard of a core-M chip, and 0.5% see this as an underpowered first gen product they would never buy.

15. Theophil1971 macrumors 6502

Theophil1971

I doubt that you can say that with certainty without knowing anything about the supply.