Just another example of mindless sheep.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Ttownbeast, Nov 17, 2010.

1. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

2. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Pathetic....

But you have to wonder, is it the audiences responsibility to run onto the stage? I would imagine it is the people who are with Nye, or the event organizers, employees, etc.. I would not expect audience members to run on stage, unless one was a paramedic or doctor or something.

Anyways, sometimes I just want to delete my facebook, explode my phone, and snowboard in the mountains for the rest of my life until I die of starvation and/or exposure :)

3. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bystander_effect

Bystander apathy is one of those things that has been demonstrated as being deeply within our psychology, yet something that every individual will believe does not pertain to them.

4. halfprep455 macrumors regular

halfprep455

I dont think that this has anything to do with twitter, cell phones, or technology in general. In almost every situation like this the vast majority of bystanders think to themselves, "Ummm Ill wait for someone else to help/act first".

5. That-Is-Bull macrumors 6502

That-Is-Bull

The same thing would've happened 50 years ago, minus the tweets. Bill Nye is also pretty quirky, and was only down for 10 seconds - people may have thought it was just a stunt or something.

6. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I hardly wonder why, in the Litigious States of America. :rolleyes:

7. citizenzen macrumors 65816

So much for the next generation being the hope for the future. :rolleyes:

8. MyDesktopBroke macrumors 6502

Something like this happened at my old school. A student fell from her chair while having a seizure of some kind. The teacher called for the security, but they just waited around until an ambulance came. The girl had fainted after the seizure and was lying on the floor for twenty minutes.

When the student newspaper investigated it, they found out that any staff members who had helped would have been suspended/fired. Why? Liability.

At this point if I saw a celebrity (or anyone with perceived high social standing) fall, I'd be too afraid to help them get up. If I chipped their nail or stepped on their coat I'd be hit with a multimillion dollar lawsuit.

9. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I wouldn't, but then again, I don't live in your insane country. :)

10. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Geeze... I hope I never think on this level.

Sorry, MDB. I know you're just thinking out loud. But c'mon, dude.

11. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

People are too afraid of liability, while it's possible to be engaged in a civil suit, I'm willing to take the risk to pick someone off the floor or give medical aid. However, I'm certified in first aid, CPR, etc. so I'm also more able to help and less likely to further injure the person.

As for the incident from the OP, the audience should stay in their seats and wait for attendants, etc. to respond. You don't want a crowd of people rushing forward with only a small percentage knowing what to do.

12. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

This isn't really on topic, but I just got Deja Vu while reading the first few paragraphs of that article. When I thought about it, I also seemed to remember the thread title too.

Now it's gone, but it was freaky.

13. dscuber9000 macrumors 6502a

Bill Nye is a pretty crazy guy. If I was there, I'd probably assume that he is trying to prove something.

14. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C134 Safari/6533.18.5)

You'd think he was trying to pull a fast one?
    Lolwut.

15. StruckANerve macrumors 6502

I have been in situations like this and always tried to help if someone else hadn't already. I probably got it from my mom who is the same way. I also have my CPR certification.

16. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

He was demonstrating the theory of gravity... still, some won't see the evidence.

17. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

He looks nothing like an Apple. :apple:

18. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

My first thought would be OMG don't die while I rush up to him, demand the nearest person with a cellphone out (specifically talking to them) call 911 and I would immediately start doing what I could

19. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Yes, that would certainly assure your 15 minutes of fame. :rolleyes:

20. That-Is-Bull macrumors 6502

That-Is-Bull

That's probably exactly what most of the people in that room would've said if you asked them before the incident.

21. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

All within 5 to 6 seconds?

22. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

Depends on how close I am, if he got up first I'd make sure he was okay

23. (marc) macrumors 6502a

(marc)

After it happens, make sure you call me, I'll give you a cookie :rolleyes:

24. Queso macrumors G4

Reminds me of Tommy Cooper, the British comedian who died during a live TV broadcast in front of an audience. When he collapsed people thought it was a joke. There was laughter from the audience. It was only when the curtain suddenly came down that people realised there was actually a problem.

25. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

But hey, why bother with being accurate when it's more fun being outraged and a holier-than-thou second-guesser?