Just been having problems with the iPhone 5.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by yearofthe, Sep 22, 2013.

1. yearofthe macrumors regular

yearofthe

Ok, here it goes-

I purchased the iPhone 5 on launch day. After day one, I had issues with recording from the mic while recording video, so I had to get that phone replaced. Fast forward to May, me and my mom trade phones so I could have her upgrade (which she happily agreed, since her old Android was out of warranty and had a bad screen crack). I took the upgrade to get the HTC One. Now, my mom said she's been having problems with people getting to hear her. Now, I've never experienced this since 99.9% of the time when I had the iPhone, I texted. I barely talked except when I'm driving and use the bluetooth installed in. My mom says the other person says it sounds like she's in a barrel (this is about until July she tells me this), or she's sounds hollow and it's difficult for them to hear her talk. So, we thought it was just that persons phone, but it turns out is was our iPhone. Ok, so, with our busy schedules, I couldn't replace it until the beginning of this month, so they replaced the phone again just right before the warranty expired, although they DID gave us an extra 90 days warranty because it was a new phone. Alright, so one day later, I'm hearing from my mom that it's doing the EXACT same thing, and we have to replace it again. Is there some sort of "lemon law" thing with phones? I mean, not an actual law, but any of Apple's policies with these? I really can't keep going back and forth to the Apple store if we're just going to have the same problems again.

Note, this is both our first iPhone experience, so we're not sure if this is something new or not.

2. user-name-here macrumors 65816

So that it's easier for others:

The main problem is that your bluetooth isn't working properly with your iPhone correct?

3. yearofthe thread starter macrumors regular

yearofthe

No, my mom doesn't have bluetooth. She just talks directly to the phone.

4. user-name-here macrumors 65816

Please explain the problem you are asking for help on in 2 sentences or less.

5. KenAFSPC macrumors 6502a

Sounds like user error (holding the phone upside down) or a reception issue to me. I've had people tell me the same thing when I was on Sprint and T-Mobile and lived in an area with relatively poor service. The iPhone 5 has a high quality, reliable microphone that will work perfectly for years provided you aren't storing the phone somewhere where the microphone holes will get clogged with dirt and other grime.

In rare cases, an unsanitary purse full of dirt could, over time, clog the iPhone microphone holes; that is easily solved by storing the phone in a slip case of some sort. If your mother works in an environment where dirt and grime are an issue, you might get her a Lifeproof case.