Just bought 1st Mac. Is there wireless on it?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by JulieGirl, Nov 22, 2009.

1. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

2. JulieGirl thread starter macrumors newbie

3. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

It's 50/50. During the G5 days the airport (Apple's term for wifi) was an option. If it does not come with an Aiport card it could be installed, so no worries, if you need to go wireless you can go wireless :D

Congrats on your first Mac! The G5 iMac sure is a pretty one! My only advice, if you are a first time user, is to forget EVERYTHING you know about computers and the system should come natural. There are tutorial videos on Apple.com and Youtube of course, and if you have any problems, the MacRumors community is always ready and willing!

4. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

My mistake, this model has one built in, it's not an option. Enjoy.

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Beware that the software that is installed on this Mac you wanna buy might not come with the proper licenses.
    If so, you don't own the right to use them.

Just a heads up for whatever uses you wanna put it to.

Have a look at http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/stats/imac_g5_1.9_17.html . Airport (Apple's name for wireless LAN) seems to come standard with it.

6. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

You're very welcome:)

But take notice it has an isight so it has one

7. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

8. JulieGirl thread starter macrumors newbie

Well if this forum doesn't rule...

then Alexander the Great never ruled either.

thx thx thx

9. KeriJane macrumors 6502a

KeriJane

Yay!

That looks like a nice find.

It's got the built-in iSight camera and sounds like it's all set to go.

The picture shows the Keyboard and mouse. It has nice speakers built in, so all you need is an internet connection of some kind.

No disks with the computer sounds a little fishy though. It's possible they were lost but if they've been sold off (or if it's all pirated) you might not have proper license to use it. This would be especially relevant to Final Cut and the Microsoft and Adobe software.
    If its really from a design company it's probably legit.

Leopard, iLife and iWork don't even have serial numbers so that's probably not a problem.

Just don't drag any apps to the Trash ;)

Congratulations and Have Fun,
    Keri

10. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Oh of course, the first thing you will want to do is create your own User account. Otherwise you're going to have a mess from a bunch of apparently schyzophrenic hoarders that don't have a concept of folder organization. :p

11. JulieGirl thread starter macrumors newbie

Ha...KJ! Found me.

Yes. You helped me a lot with some advice, and I'm glad you think the deal looks ok.

Gosh I hope this software disc/license stuff you're all talking about is not a problem. Yikes!

Mr. Ch. What am I missing? User Acc't? Am I so ignorant of Mac that I don't get it? Come on Cheeto, Sir. When I get the Mac I create a user account..on the machine itself? Sorry if I'm being stupid.

flopticalcube...Thank you much.

spinnerlys...I do thank you for that help.

So I'll end up buying some discs of ebay or what? omg.

And is there a garageband help forum here at Rumors? I didn't see one.

12. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Use the Mac Applications forum.

13. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Simple hon, a user account just means the Name you log into when you start up. Just like in Windows every person has their own account so they can have all their own files and settings, basically their own computer.

Once you create your own account on your new iMac you will start with a fresh foundation with everything default and no files. This way YOU can set up your own wallpaper, settings and files without the last user's mess left behind. Be sure to ask here for help on that once you get it in hand ;)

14. JulieGirl thread starter macrumors newbie

Mr. C,

That...is a good idea!

I will get it in a week or so and come directly to this forum.
    I will probably just wait for the responses from those who I have been in contact with tonight if any of you happen to see my post.

(Man the Bears' defense is slipping)

15. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Not to mention the possibility of keyloggers/spyware. Just because they can't install inadvertently doesn't mean the previous owner can't install something malicious before selling.

Even though the computer may have shipped with "free" software included and no disks, I suggest buying disks pronto and doing a fresh install before using the computer.