Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Raris

macrumors member
Original poster
May 17, 2010
California
So I just bought an 80gb ipod classic from somebody which has 8000 songs from it.. I wanna know if there is way to transfer those songs to my own itunes library, with all my own songs?

brn2ski00

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2007
MA
There are programs out there to do this. Free ones too.

However, the songs may not play due to DRM restrictions.

Not even sure keeping the tunes is legit.

Raris

macrumors member
Original poster
May 17, 2010
California
Well do you kno the programs,,,i use a mac so ya...please i really want these songs with my own songs too

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
So I just bought an 80gb ipod classic from somebody which has 8000 songs from it.. I wanna know if there is way to transfer those songs to my own itunes library, with all my own songs?

They are not your songs, are they? You are basically looking for help with major scale copyright infringement?

Well do you kno the programs,,,i use a mac so ya...please i really want these songs with my own songs too

I heard my bank has millions in their safe. Please help my I really want that money!

Favenris

macrumors member
May 21, 2010
Portland, OR
Assuming, *cough, cough*, that the songs that are in that iPod are not copyrighted, there is an easy way to grab music from it to your computer. I used to do this all the time with Windows, but I'm sure it is possible with Mac.

Figure out a way to view hidden files on your computer, and then access your iPod through Windows Explorer or Finder. Enter into one of the hidden files and then you will see a directory that will send you to a folder containing many other folders with music files. They will all have weird names, like "FFJJ" "FDFDF", this is normal.

Copy all of the folders and paste them to your computer's hard drive. After the transfer is complete, change their "hidden status" to normal and then drag that folder into your iTunes. Make sure "copy files to iTunes media folder" is enabled.

And, ta-dah!

hensonzyw

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2010
wuhan,Hubei,China
Tell the truth, I've done such thing million times. You can find a hiden files in your ipod named ipod control, there is a file named music. All the songs and videos are in it. Then you can search *.mp3, you can see all the songs come out after searching. Then? copy and paste....

IBradMac

macrumors 68000
Jun 27, 2008
Ohio
I have used Senuti in the past with success.

They are not your songs, are they? You are basically looking for help with major scale copyright infringement?

Who cares? He didn't ask if it was morally right to do. He asked if there was a way to get them off the iPod. Instead of being his conscience, you could have saved it and not responded.

I heard my bank has millions in their safe. Please help my I really want that money!

Not even close, try again. :rolleyes:

BlizzardBomb

macrumors 68030
Jun 15, 2005
England
I have used Senuti in the past with success.

Who cares? He didn't ask if it was morally right to do. He asked if there was a way to get them off the iPod. Instead of being his conscience, you could have saved it and not responded

Not even close, try again. :rolleyes:

It's still theft on a large scale. I bet you wouldn't walk into a shop and steal 800 CDs would you?

gothamm

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2007
everyone is assuming that the seller did not delete the songs from his itunes library on his computer. There is no proof of this...you know... "beyond a reasonable doubt"...

quit being such a law abiding hypocrite.

BlizzardBomb

macrumors 68030
Jun 15, 2005
England
everyone is assuming that the seller did not delete the songs from his itunes library on his computer. There is no proof of this...you know... "beyond a reasonable doubt"...

quit being such a law abiding hypocrite.

Why would anyone delete 8000 of their own songs? I'd be shouting expletives all day if I did that to myself :p

Jarcrew

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2007
Cardiff, Wales
The guy's blatantly thieving - but who here has never downloaded something that wasn't 100% legit? I'm guessing very few of you, if any.

That said, I'm not sure he should be being enabled to do so on a public forum like this.

Also I don't think anyone would ever assume the seller deleted his copies of the songs.

Forgeron

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2008
It's still theft on a large scale. I bet you wouldn't walk into a shop and steal 800 CDs would you?

If I bought a book case on craigslist that happened to have 800 CDs in it, I'd call up the guy and ask if he wants those back.

Maybe he should do that. Return the music.

I get annoyed when people assume that when you would not download something, it means that otherwise you would have bought it instead. Utter nonsense.

Favenris

macrumors member
May 21, 2010
Portland, OR

Not that I am advocating criminal behavior, but I would understand and be okay with the fact of someone stealing 800 CD's that are disgustingly overpriced... as in the artists themselves saying their label is selling their music for too much.

EgbertAttrick

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2008

For all you know, it's 8,000 songs that are public license, or 8,000 songs this guy made in his garage using a trash can and a tin whistle. Maybe it's 8,000 Phish songs he bootlegged. Maybe it's not your place to care. Maybe it's not my place to care that you care.

I, also, have had luck with Senuti.

And why I used it is no one's concern.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Who cares? He didn't ask if it was morally right to do. He asked if there was a way to get them off the iPod. Instead of being his conscience, you could have saved it and not responded.

Did I ask you for your opinion? If I had wanted to hear your opinion, I'd have asked. So when people are given advice how to avoid being a criminal, why do you think you have to interfere with that?

Completely missing the point. The music on the iPod is copied. Whether the person making the copy deleted the originals or not, that doesn't matter. And the thread starter asked how to make _another_ copy. You know, it's called "copyright". And if you have any doubts that the songs are still on the seller's hard drive, I'd call that highly unreasonable.

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
Since you ask - me, for one.

and I'm sure you've never watched a clip from a film online that wasn't okay'd by the production company. :rolleyes:
Completely missing the point. The music on the iPod is copied. Whether the person making the copy deleted the originals or not, that doesn't matter. And the thread starter asked how to make _another_ copy. You know, it's called "copyright". And if you have any doubts that the songs are still on the seller's hard drive, I'd call that highly unreasonable.

I guess we can't listen to the music we own either considering the songs are copied from the hard disk to the RAM when played.

BlizzardBomb

macrumors 68030
Jun 15, 2005
England
For all you know, it's 8,000 songs that are public license, or 8,000 songs this guy made in his garage using a trash can and a tin whistle. Maybe it's 8,000 Phish songs he bootlegged. Maybe it's not your place to care. Maybe it's not my place to care that you care.

I, also, have had luck with Senuti.

And why I used it is no one's concern.

I'm sure you wouldn't be saying that if you were an artist who spent 18 hours a day in a studio trying to make your music sound as good as possible. That's why I care.

Let's put it this way. Someone sells me a CD player and autochanger and there's 6 CDs already in there. Would you honestly feel good about yourself if you kept those CDs?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.