Just bought a Macbook at bestbuy. Can I get a price match?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Fred87nc, Aug 22, 2008.

1. Fred87nc macrumors member

Man, I just read online best buy does price matching. I couldn't buy the macbook on apple because I had financing only in Best buy. Well From the 100 student discount and free ipod do you think I could get a price match if I go back and ask for it. its been like 3 days.

2. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

They will price match the $100, but probably not the free iPod. They might offer you something else though if you are persistent. Don't expect MUCH though because you took the financing which costs them $.

3. Fred87nc thread starter macrumors member

So Do I got back even though I already bought it?

man wtf. new macbook coming out...Man I should of done more research..My other computer broke down and needed one ASAP for my online job.

4. tmelvin macrumors 6502

tmelvin

Can't hurt to ask. Just don't be an ass about it. Be polite, and explain the situation. Chances are they'll give you the $100 like the last poster mentioned, and be happy...

5. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

no harm trying. if they refuse, say you want to return it then as that might make them more friendly to a price match. But do it fast.

6. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

I worked at BB. They have a 30 day lowest price guarantee...just need to bring back your receipt with a print out from apple.ca and they should credit you $100. Otherwise return the computer and buy from Apple.

Nothing wrong with the current macbook either, if you need it now, why wait for updates? What will the new MacBook be able to do that you can't do with yours now?

7. scotty96LSC macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

8. patrickmacrumor macrumors regular

Exactly. There will always be something new coming up. That being said, you can always return the MacBook if you are within your initial 14-day period and get your money back. You can then wait for the next model.

If you need a computer now, buy it now. If you don't, then wait.

9. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

The iPod isn't free with the purchase. You have to pay for it and then reclaim the amount via a mail-in form.

10. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

Agreed -- to the OP -- if you are that worried then just return it and wait. But you might be waiting longer than expected.

True, but BB technically would offer the buyer some incentive to purchase with them (i.e. free financing, maybe an accessory or something, etc)

11. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

12. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

If you find something somewhere else that is cheaper and the item is readily available (i.e. not out of stock or anything) and can be had with next day shipping (or if you can go and pick it up somewhere i.e. at an apple store) then they have to beat the price by 10% of the difference.

13. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Best Buy won't honor Apple's current promo, but they apparently had one of their own. You get Mobile Me and iWork for free. No student discounts at BB either. I could be wrong about BB's promotion, but when they handed my mom Mobile Me and iWork they said it was because they were having a "student" promotion all their own.

14. shaunymac macrumors 6502

bestbuy pricematched my student discount when i bought my macbook pro for myself during christmas. The lady at customer service dropped her jaw whenever she saw how much a mac cost and then she told me to get a price match, which i wasnt event thinking about, so I made sure to come back and talk to her. If i remeber right, the student discount on a mid-range mbp is around $200 and when I went back and stood in a long line to tell her she gave me somewhere around $300 off if not more! It has been awhile so I can't remeber the exact amount but I made sure I went and grabbed a sleeve and got the heck out of there before they changed their minds:D.

Needless to say, I always get them to pricematch things from now on. It doesn't always work but it is definately worth a shot. Good luck!

15. gmecca2 macrumors regular

BestBuy in no way loses money providing financing to you. They package the debt together from thousands of debtors and sell it off. They may take a little loss off of what they would have made if you had paid cash BUT they still made a significant profit.

If you never pay off that TV you had 24 months no interest on they do not care, BestBuy received their money. HSBC runs their credit card operation.

In all of their disclosures BestBuy is very strict with not discounting Apple, Bose, etc. It never hurts to try but I wouldn't count on it.

Even if you don't get the $100 the money saved with interest free payments is well worth it.

16. ttech10 macrumors 6502

I was pretty sure the '30 day' thing doesn't apply to laptops... it gets a 14 day price match.