Just bought a new i5 laptop not openned, want to exchange for i7.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bestthereis27, May 11, 2010.

1. bestthereis27 macrumors member

I ordered a base macbook pro 15" with the anti-glare screen, it has been ordered and I should be receiving it in the next couple of days. Since I ordered it I have been thinking about getting the high end i7 model instead. Can I just take my laptop when I get to the store and exchange it for the i7 and pay the difference? Or will there be restocking fees etc...?

2. apthai86 macrumors member

As long as it's not opened there should be no restocking fee.

3. bestthereis27 thread starter macrumors member

4. vty macrumors member

You'll have to ship it back if you want the AG though since its BTO. Apple stores wouldn't take it, kind of a stupid process IMO.

5. bestthereis27 thread starter macrumors member

Yes I just found that out, they can only exchange if they have that exact BTO model there in the store...which i think is crap because it is the apple store. Its an apple product.

6. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

Call apple directly right now. If it has not shipped they may be able to modify your order. If it has shipped they may be able to still do something but do the sooner you contact them the better your chances of getting what you want sooner vs later.

7. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

+1, try to see if you can change it. :]

8. emaja macrumors 68000

I can't find the link now, but in the past Apple has not allowed returns on BTO computers. Also, if it has been shipped a cancellation is not allowed either.

Either way, call Apple. They are the only ones who can give you a definitive answer on this.

9. bestthereis27 thread starter macrumors member

The laptop I ordered is on the truck to be delivered today. I called apple and they have emailed me a RMA# and FedEx shipping label back. I will get a full refund as soon as they receive and process everything.

Kind of a hassle, I wish I could just return it at the store, get the refund or pay the difference for the new machine and they return it where ever it needs to go.

10. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

Actually, it is not much of a hassle. Stick a label on a box and have it picked up or drop it off locally - or maybe just stick the label on the box when you get it and hand it off to the Fedex guy (not sure if that works). The only snag is the wait to get credited but you can place an order for the one you want at anytime assuming you have enough room on the credit card. It could be worse. You might have changed your mind next week and then....:(