Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

narutoninjakid

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 6, 2012
New Jersey
Just ordered a new in Box iPad 4 off of eBay. Don't know when it was bought but if its on pre iOS 6 will i be allowed to update to 6.1 ? Is Apple still signing it ? I recently read apple would release a patch for the passcode vulnerability sometime this next week and was wondering will that stop me from being able to jailbreak ? Any help is appreciated. :eek::confused:

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2012
PA
Plain and simple, yes. Chances are, it's not updated with 6.1. Just update it via iTunes (it'll show up on the device as well) and then you'll be able to jailbreak it. :)

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
Just ordered a new in Box iPad 4 off of eBay. Don't know when it was bought but if its on pre iOS 6 will i be allowed to update to 6.1 ? Is Apple still signing it ? I recently read apple would release a patch for the passcode vulnerability sometime this next week and was wondering will that stop me from being able to jailbreak ? Any help is appreciated. :eek::confused:

The lowest (original) firmware for iPad 4 was 6.0 and it can be jailbroken as well as can current firmware.
Since no one but Apple knows what changes might be in coming firmware, no one can answer those questions.

But, you seem to need to do some reading about jailbreaking, firmware, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.