Just bought a ton of RAM for my macs :)

RJP31484

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
berkleeboy210 said:
Also for the RAM for the G5 it said 2gb (1gb Matched Pair) What does that mean?

Thanks!
That just means that you are being shipped 2 1gb sticks of RAM. The G5 powermacs require you to install matching pairs of RAM instead of just one stick. In other words, if you wanted to install only 512 mb of RAM, you would need to install 2 identical 256mb sticks or 4 identical 128mb sticks.

Comment

.Andy

macrumors 68030
Jul 18, 2004
The Mergui Archipelago
I think you'll find there is a good consensus on Macsales. Even getting their stuff shipped to Australia is considered a good move - from the guys here who have ordered RAM I've heard some great feedback. The prices are still amazingly competitive even with delivery across the otherside of the world to another hemisphere.

And this current rash of people gigging out their powerbooks is making me jealous :eek:. I'm still on stock 512 until I can afford some more. I just have to pretend my machine is fast - ignorance is bliss...ignorance is bliss....:D

Comment

Eluon

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2005
Spring, Texas
.Andy said:
I think you'll find there is a good consensus on Macsales. Even getting their stuff shipped to Australia is considered a good move - from the guys here who have ordered RAM I've heard some great feedback. The prices are still amazingly competitive even with delivery across the otherside of the world to another hemisphere.

And this current rash of people gigging out their powerbooks is making me jealous :eek:. I'm still on stock 512 until I can afford some more. I just have to pretend my machine is fast - ignorance is bliss...ignorance is bliss....:D

reminding himself that his 256 on his iBook is blazing fast too. what a dream to have atleast 512 on her.

Comment

berkleeboy210

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 2, 2004
Boston, Massachusetts
Eluon said:
reminding himself that his 256 on his iBook is blazing fast too. what a dream to have atleast 512 on her.
On the Familie's iMac G5 We had 256mb Stock Model (the 20"1.8 G5) It was dreadfully slow.

Popped a 512 stick in, and presto, it's flyin.

No more complaints from the Father that the computer is too slow. I'm the one that's called when computer problems hit home.

Comment

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
Installing RAM in your G5 is easy, but takes rather firm pressure to
get it all the way into the keepers.

Make sure you follow anti-static procedure with your machine off.

When you open up your chassis and slide out the fan assembly,
you'll see how your stock RAM is split
half and half on either side of your motherboard.

Each new stick is placed the same way, 1 slot down
on either side.

Make sure your keepers have snapped all the way shut and test boot
Open your system profiler and verify that your RAM is now showing and
TAH DAH, your G5 is now officially a screamer. :D

Comment

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
berkleeboy210 said:
Thanks for the Instructions. Both my PB and PM will be very happy tomorrow when i throw a lot of ram in them.
Yes, they should both be flying. Good luck! ;)

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.