Just bought a used Macbook Pro, i want to reinstall OS x, but i don't have the dvd?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Santiago7, Jul 6, 2010.

1. Santiago7 macrumors newbie

Just bought this macbook pro (OS X 10.5.8) and i was thinking of starting over, fresh, reinstall the OS and erasing the hard drive but the guy i bought it from didn't have the start up disk. How can I do this? Can i use any start up disk? i have a friend with a newer macbook pro but will his start up disk work with mine?? his is a year newer than mine.

i also have to change the password because i don't know it. any thoughts?

-thanks

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Why not just go to the Apple Store and buy Snow Leopard? It only costs $29 :)

3. celticpride678

You cannot use another MacBook Pro's Install DVD - they are specific to that Mac and that Mac only!

Your only choice is to contact Apple and have them send you replacement DVD's for a small charge.

4. Santiago7 thread starter macrumors newbie

what if i don't have the password and i buy snow leopard, will i be able to install it? and will it also erase the hard drive to start over?

5. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Yes, you will be able to install it and erase the hard drive.

6. celticpride678

You will be able to erase the hard drive, yes.

As for the password, I believe you'll be able to reset it in the Mac OS X Installer.

7. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

If you do an erase and install you won't need to worry about the password.

8. Santiago7 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks guys.

by the way...

i was also considering upgrading both the hard drive (now a 250GB) and memory (2GB) to a 500GB and 4GB.
    any recommendations as far as brands? anything i should avoid doing/buying? and should i do the upgrade before or after installing snow leopard?

9. advres Guest

advres

So you "buy" this laptop from someone and they left it just like they had it... and didn't give you the password? oooooookkkkkkk.

10. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I'd check out OWC for the hard drive and RAM, I've had great experiences with them in the past. As for as installing Snow Leopard, I'd wait until you have the new hard drive installed, that way you don't have to worry about Migration Assistant or cloning the hard drive over.

11. celticpride678

Take a look at either OWC or Crucial for RAM and Hard Drives. If you're buying a new hard drive, look into SSD's

12. HBOC macrumors 68020

I beg to differ. My MBP had Leopard when I bought it, and my brother bought a 13" MacBook"Pro". He used my install disk with no problems.

Also, I second the SnowLeopard. $30 and it is great.

For the Memory, I have 4GB or Crucial which is great and I have a TravelStar (Hitachi) 500Gb 7200 RPM drive that has been working perfect for 7 months now.

13. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Now that you've "outed" him, he's about to have problems. The Software License Police are knocking at his door... :eek:

14. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...while buying 10.6 (Snow Leopard) and doing an erase and install will resolve any password issues and enable to user to "start clean" there is still a good reason to get the proper restore disks from Apple - 10.6 retail disks do *not* come with the bundled software (iLife) and doing an erase and install will leave the user without the programs....oh yeah!

15. HBOC macrumors 68020

?

We have since bought the family user pack of Snow Leopard, so I doubt it.