Just bought an Apple Watch, and it won't pair w my 6S running 10.2!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TH55, Apr 25, 2017.

1. TH55 macrumors 68030

I'm so upset, after all of the time and energy I put into finding a 6S w 10.2 so I could keep my jailbreak now it won't pair. It says I must update to the latest version of iOS. I had researched and asked pretty extensively on here and was told the watch would work as long as it was iOS 10 or higher. What can I do, is it possible to downgrade the watch OS or find one with an older OS that will work w 10.2? I'm so frustrated, I just spent almost $1000 and got my new phone all set up how I like it and am really enjoying the increase in performance of the 6S.

2. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

If the Watch is running the latest version of Watch OS then it requires 10.3 to be paired. You can't downgrade the WatchOS unfortunately. Old versions of watchOS are all likely stopped being signed by Apple now too. Tricky one as you can't tell what version is on the Watch before you buy it. If it's a Gen 1 Watch then it's running something before 3.1 if boxed and sealed but you may not be able to just update to the last version to work with 10.2 (I think it's 3.1 can't recall exactly). Give up the jailbreak for a while or sell the Watch? I think Apple would just say 'update to the latest iOS' as they care not for jailbreaking. All the advice I can offer.

3. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Sorry but you failed to do your homework.

4. theshoehorn macrumors 6502

Or just upgrade and lose your jailbreak... The security implications are better too!!

5. Relentless Power, Apr 25, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2017

Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

Yes, I recall your threads where you were trying to determine your situation, because you have a jailbroken iPhone and now the watch is requiring you to update it. You have no other option but to update the Watch and iOS to communicate. Regardless, it was explained to you last time that your situation is awkward because you wanted to retain your jailbreak and yet have an Apple Watch pairing to an old version of iOS, which was explained that you cannot do.

6. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

I had been told by multiple people here that you could send your watch off to have the software downgraded.

7. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Sounds like you found a way. Let us know how it worked out.

8. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

No, actually the people in that original thread failed to answer my simple question properly. I was told by multiple people that as long as I had at least iOS 10 I would be ok, and that the watch OS could be sent off and downgraded.

9. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

Isn't that if the Watch is running a Dev beta? I've never heard of someone just requesting a public release to be downgraded at their own leisure. Perhaps you should have done some more research properly and not just multiple people on a forum.
    Ps. People don't "fail" to answer properly. You make it sound like you are teacher and we are your students. If it wasn't answered well enough it because nobody has experienced the exact same issue you have, so you can seek help from Apple themselves and let us know how you get on.

10. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Sorry but it looks like "those people" might have misled you.

I have not heard of being able to send your AW off to get downgraded but nothing would surprise me.

I hope you get it worked out.

11. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Relying on answers from the internet when making a purchasing decision in relation to jailbreaking is the epitome of not doing your homework.

You have no one to blame but yourself.

12. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

Bypassing security updates in order to connect a watch?? I don't think so. If I was bypassing security updates I wouldn't be connecting anything at all.

13. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

Sorry I didn't mean that in a condescending way I'm just very frustrated
    --- Post Merged, Apr 25, 2017 ---
    Ok thanks, sorry didn't mean to come across in a demeaning tone. I just thought I had it all figured out.

14. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

That's ok. Really hope you get it sorted. Wouldn't you just lose your jailbreak until 10.3.1 is jailbroken? I don't see the attraction any more with jailbreaking so sorry I can't offer any more info. Personally I'd just update the phone and get on with it.

15. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

I'm not sure what you mean. These "security" updates also prevent me from setting my device up the way I like it, and I am forced to work around all of Apple's pointless and cumbersome "features" that do nothing but slow down my user experience. It's honestly ridiculous I'm having to jump through all of these hoops to use a device I spent a lot of money on the way I want. I'm a loyal Apple customer.

16. theshoehorn macrumors 6502

I agree with Givmeabrek... Although you may enjoy the extra "customization" you can do, you open your phone up to a whole host of vulnerabilities that can be exploited remotely. I advise people to upgrade ASAP when a new release comes out specifically for that reason.

That being said... There really is no way to downgrade the watch, and unless you can purchase one with a watchOS that works with 10.2 you really only have 2 options: 1) upgrade to iOS 10.3.1 or 2) return the watch. Sorry.

17. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

Thanks, as tempted as I am and as much as I want to use my new toy I'm not sure I can live w out my jailbreak. It's honestly so many little tweaks, shortcuts and customizations and removing things that Apple forces on us that slow down my user experience, hard to explain. I could show you easily in person but I've been Jailbroken since I got my first iPhone (4S) and it honestly began not out of a desire to add anything but out of a determination to remove things that I never used and constantly activated accidentally like spotlight search, and then subsequently Notification Center and shake to undo etc. It has since evolved into an entirely different and more efficient user experience that I can't imagine downgrading from. The ability to delete whole words with one gesture or answer the phone without leaving the screen I'm on and pausing the task I'm doing. It's almost boundless the possibilities it provides.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 25, 2017 ---
    I've been jailbreaking for 5 generations of iPhones and owned 6 different phones, and I've never once encountered any issues with security or even slowing my phone down. It's only enhanced my user experience.

18. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

Can you explain how he could have accomplished his goal then, if not to ask the internet?

19. The Game 161 macrumors Pentium

The Game 161

if you like your device to be as you want it then android seems to be a better option for you

20. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

Here is the thread you're referring too and you Were told you could downgrade the Apple Watch by one forum member, who was a newbie. There were NOT "Multiple people" telling you that you could downgrade the Apple Watch. I recall this thread. Here it is for reference.

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...10-2-be-compatible-with-any-watch-os.2040624/

21. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I wouldn't be plopping down $300+ on the word of MR users. I'd go to an actual jailbreaking/hacking community and get the nuts and bolts information. MR users are not highly sophisticated (en masse) so plopping down money on the word of those here and getting mad about it seems a bit silly. I would have scoured for any and all step by step tutorials at the absolute minimum.

22. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Yes, it is totally Apple's fault that you are buying a product which doesn't work the way you want it to and have to spend time, money, and effort working around Apple's implementation of their software. Seems to me, that you would be better off using Android devices.

23. VertPin macrumors 6502

VertPin

QFT. You took the words right out of my mouth. OP, it sounds like you may enjoy an Android device if you absolutely need these Jailbreak customizations.

24. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

And you would have done this by going to meet ups and user groups and going to the library to search for the tutorials? :)

You said this guy didn't do his homework because he was "relying on answers from the internet." Maybe you didn't really mean that. :)

25. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Perhaps I should have said don't rely on MR for jail breaking advice? Go to a forum that's full of people interested in and actually focused on the topic? I was jail breaking since the days of the 78 step command line based jail breaks (down from the 150+ line forerunners). I don't trust MR for technical advice beyond PRAM/NVRAM resets.

Go to the actual nerds, not the GIANT community with a massive range of technological ability.

As another poster pointed out, the OP said he got tons of advice from users here....but the thread in question only had one person (a newbie) that gave him the advice.