iPhone X Just bought an iPhone X, was it a good buy or will I regret it

Kangaroos

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2019
Hello!

I just bought an iPhone X 64gb for a good price. Do you think it was worth it considering its 2019. The device seems so fast compared to my old Samsung device. I love the phone but apple just makes me feel like it was a wrong choice because they say how much better the XS is.

What are your thoughts?

Reactions: BluefinTuna

Malcster

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2005
Bristol, UK
I still use my launch day purchased X, love it, still very quick on iOS12, will do you for plenty of years yet if needed. They will always want you to buy the latest model.

You may not get the full feature set of iOS13 (Apple will limit some stuff to the latest hardware) but it'll run just fine.

Reactions: Freakonomics101

Azathoth123

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2018
Fountain City
I think that it’s a good deal if the price was right. I upgraded from X to XS for the camera. If not for that, I probably would have stayed with the X. Both of them have performed flawlessly. The XS scrolls a little smoother and is a little faster, but certainly not enough to justify an upgrade.

Freakonomics101

macrumors 68020
Nov 6, 2014
At $899 that Apple has it listed as, not the best price they could’ve offered. Is the iPhone new or used? $600 for a good condition 64 GB iPhone X would be a good price.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
What are your thoughts?
Who cares what we think? It's your device, so make up your own mind & decide.
[doublepost=1551364706][/doublepost]
Should’ve got the 8+
Touch id
No notch
Terrible advice. 6/7/8+ looks hideously dated, especially with those giant top & bottom bezels. FaceID is superior tech to TouchID as well.

cableguy84

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2015
Who cares what we think? It's your device, so make up your own mind & decide.
[doublepost=1551364706][/doublepost]

Terrible advice. 6/7/8+ looks hideously dated, especially with those giant top & bottom bezels. FaceID is superior tech to TouchID as well.
The notch looks hideous.
As for the 8+ bezels, at least they are consistent to the eye top and bottom.
Touch id is superior to face id

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
As for the 8+ bezels, at least they are consistent to the eye top and bottom.
The bezels are massive. They were huge when introduced with the 6+ in 2014. In 2019 they just look absolutely ridiculous compared to modern hardware. Why wouldn't you want that space to be used by glass so it gives a larger display for the user? You are stuck in the past if you honestly think dated tired hardware designs of the 8+ beats the X/Xs.

TouchID is in no way superior to FaceID. You only have to have moisture on your fingers and it just won't work! TouchID was consistently useless when trying to unlock my device in the gym for example. FaceID not only 'just works', it just works always.

AustinIllini

macrumors demi-goddess
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
I bought a refurbed iPhone X with my friend's employee discount. It's an amazing phone and it will likely make it a couple more years. Apple chips are just so far ahead off what is needed for iOS and Applications

Reactions: BasicGreatGuy

ilikewhey

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2014
nyc upper east
The bezels are massive. They were huge when introduced with the 6+ in 2014. In 2019 they just look absolutely ridiculous compared to modern hardware. Why wouldn't you want that space to be used by glass so it gives a larger display for the user? You are stuck in the past if you honestly think dated tired hardware designs of the 8+ beats the X/Xs.

TouchID is in no way superior to FaceID. You only have to have moisture on your fingers and it just won't work! TouchID was consistently useless when trying to unlock my device in the gym for example. FaceID not only 'just works', it just works always.
thats subjective at best, alot of folks including me prefer touchid. i can unlock it from any angle, best case example is i want to check on something while having the phone on the desk, picking up the phone to look at it is a dead giveaway to my boss that im not being productive. if finger is moist just a quick wipe on my shirt solves the problem.

BasicGreatGuy

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Hello!

I just bought an iPhone X 64gb for a good price. Do you think it was worth it considering its 2019. The device seems so fast compared to my old Samsung device. I love the phone but apple just makes me feel like it was a wrong choice because they say how much better the XS is.

What are your thoughts?
If you are happy with the phone, that is all that really matters. Don't worry about advertising rhetoric.

NJHitmen

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2010
Out of curiosity: have you had a chance to use FaceID yourself? I used to feel the same way...that TouchID was the superior option...until I got to play with FaceID. Now, I understand why both have their fans. Each can be superior under different sets of conditions. For example, TouchID is utterly useless with wet fingers; on the flip side, you can't unlock a FaceID phone without looking at it.

But overall, man, I was really impressed with FaceID. Almost like magic.

MisterSavage

macrumors 68000
Nov 10, 2018
I think that it’s a good deal if the price was right. I upgraded from X to XS for the camera. If not for that, I probably would have stayed with the X. Both of them have performed flawlessly. The XS scrolls a little smoother and is a little faster, but certainly not enough to justify an upgrade.
I feel the same way about the performance after upgrading. The X is still a great phone.

wba1990

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2015
Birmingham, England
I’m so tempted to upgrade up X to an XS partly because I’ve had enough of the space grey, I need extra storage space, and I’m mindful if I upgraded to the 11 (or whatever it will be called) I’d Have better resale value on a 256GB XS than I would a 64GB X in Sept/Oct

VertPin

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2015
Well I purchased from a store called JBHIFI in Australia because Apple no longer sells new X's. Do you think its a good buy in 2019? because Apple is still selling iPhones 7's
I use a 7 plus. I love it, no regrets.
[doublepost=1551383584][/doublepost]
I’m so tempted to upgrade up X to an XS partly because I’ve had enough of the space grey, I need extra storage space, and I’m mindful if I upgraded to the 11 (or whatever it will be called) I’d Have better resale value on a 256GB XS than I would a 64GB X in Sept/Oct
Wait until September.

AppleHaterLover

macrumors 68000
Jun 15, 2018
Wait until September.

Do you remember? The 21st night of September?
Love was changing the minds of pretenders
While chasing the nights away

OP, you've already bought the phone. Use it, enjoy it, if you like the iPhone XI buy it whenever it's available.

R.Stoychev

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2012
If you're happy with your X keep it, it's great device and will be running like a champ for years.

cwwilson

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2009
Oklahoma City, OK
There’s no doubt the X is a super solid phone. The only thing from the XS that I wouldn’t mind having is the bokeh control and smart hdr. But to me that’s not worth paying the remainder of my balance on the X and increasing my phone bill afterwards. As such, for the first time in years and years I decided not to upgrade my iPhone.

I may even end up skipping this year’s phone as well if it doesn’t appear to be a compelling enough device. The 2020 ones are supposed to have 5G and possibly a new design so that might be the one for me.

AppleHaterLover

macrumors 68000
Jun 15, 2018
And less screen real estate... it’s foolish to sacrifice overall screen size just because you don’t like a notch.
8+ actually has quite a lot more screen real estate than the X and XS. Only the XR and XS MAX can display more content.