Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
Just a short review of a just-installed ssd in an unibody white MB...

I preferred install OSX from the scratch because I had never made a clean installation since I bought the macbook in april, 2010. I also bought a usb2 case for copying the most important files and apps. I need a ssd for doing language processing over large files (around 10GB each) so I had to save most space as possible... 500GB ssd prices are still prohibitive in Brazil.

The first impressions are the best possible, although I didn't stressed it too much for checking its builtin garbage collection performance. Maybe in the future I'll install another 250GB ssd in the superdrive bay. If you have any questions or comments about this specific ssd I'll gladly respond. I disabled the motion sensor for saving some battery and preventing any problem caused by this (now) unecessary feature.

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
Awesome purchase but I don't see a review :p.

Sorry... it's a kind of "live review" :p

I'm doing some tests with 64-bit kernel for opening files as big as 10GB. Maybe in a week or two the unit will have to make some garbage collection then I'll get a real-life scenario of how the SSD performs. I won't enable TRIM at this moment because I want to check if the EVO has a good hardware garbage collection.

I already had a Kingston SSD with a netbook with Windows 7 and currently it freezes from time to time (maybe a TRIM issue). I hope it won't happen with the EVO drive.

53kyle

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2012
Sebastopol, CA
If you do install another 250 GB SSD in the SuperDrive bay, put the two drives in raid, but only if you want even better performance, as it is slightly less reliable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.