Just bought Apple Cinema Display 23" - Need help with AppleCare / Best Buy Warranty

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bigdaddymac, May 17, 2009.

1. bigdaddymac macrumors regular

I just bought an 23" Apple Cinema Display at Best Buy. It was an "Open Box" sale, I believe it was one used as a display model in the store. I got it for $399. I examined the monitor closely in the store, and now at home, and it looks great, and is working well so far.

When I bought the display, I also picked up the Best Buy 4 year extended service plan, for around $40.

I just looked up the serial number for the display on Apple's site, and it says that the Apple Limited Warranty on this monitor runs out on May 22, so I still have time to buy Apple Care for an additional 2 years of warranty, for $99. I am also debating whether to ask Apple to change that buy date, so that my year's warranty starts ticking now, which would give me another year (but I'm not sure if they would do that, as it was an open box purchase).

My question is - should I simply keep the Best Buy extended warranty? Or cancel it, and buy the Apple Care plan instead (even though it's only for 2 years vs. Best Buy's 4 year extended warranty).

Any advice is welcome, as I only have a few days to make a decision.

Thanks!!!

2. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

3. u49aa2 macrumors 6502a

u49aa2

It is only a monitor, i would diffentely Keep BB warranty. Four years is life of the cinema display.

4. bigdaddymac thread starter macrumors regular

Is the BB warranty as good as applecare? I have found surprisingly little detailed information about exactly what they cover for a monitor / display.

5. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

I think Apple care is better. I don't buy Best buy warranties at all.