Just bought iPad 2 32GB for my 67 yr-old mom

Discussion in 'iPad' started by iEvolution, Mar 23, 2012.

1. iEvolution macrumors 65816

My mom has always been there for me and has probably helped me out of situations she shouldn't have. I thought this would be a great way to show appreciation.

Plus her mom and sister already have iPads that they use and since my mom is too self sacrificing she'd never buy it on her own.

The reason I passed on the iPad 3 is because she isn't going to need a quad core graphics processor, resolution isn't that important, and I'm afraid 16GB isn't going to be enough..so I picked up a iPad 2 32GB for $450.

I don't know why I'm making this topic quite frankly, I'm just so excited and apparently I wanted to share the news with my macrumors' friends.

2. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

That's cool that you did that. Does your mother already know? Have you given it to her?

3. iEvolution thread starter macrumors 65816

Not yet I just ordered it today so it won't be until next week when I get it, I told her that I have a surprise for her but didn't tell her what it is.

Honestly, I think I'm more excited for the iPad 2 for my mother than I was about getting my motorola Xoom, lol

4. azure247 macrumors 6502

Your story sounds asian. Asian mothers are always like that. All for their kids and nothing for themselves!

Anyhow, that is a cool thing to do. I asked my mom if she wanted one too, and she says that shes fine with the laptop I gave her. I just think an ipad is more accessible from anywhere ie the bed or sofa and more comfortable to use. I am getting the new ipad Monday and letting her try it out. If she likes it, I would buy her an ipad 2, just like you did.

5. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

You're a good son/daughter. :)

6. SuperRob macrumors regular

She'll love it. Older folks seem to "get" the iPad very quickly.

7. skorpien macrumors 68020

Thank you for sharing :) you two are lucky to have each other.

8. laurenr macrumors 6502a

What a wonderful, thoughtful thing to do for your Mom!:eek: She will get the hang of using it very quickly. Just make sure you do the initial setup for her, especially the whole "iCloud" intergration, and show her the Apps she is most likely to enjoy, like the various eReaders, free games like Card Shark, catalogs for shopping, recipe databases, etc.

You're a great Son/Daughter!:D

9. koigirl macrumors 6502a

koigirl

My dad is 67 also and recently diagnosed with multiple myeloma. His prognosis is not good. We live in NC and he's in TX and I tried to get him to let me get him one last fall when he was going through a bone marrow transplant. He's kind of a technophobe and wouldn't let me do it. In the interim, my mom got a new iPhone. 4s (I bought her the 4 for her birthday a year and a half ago :)) and gave him her 4. My son went out to visit him and got him started texting on it. When I go to visit him in a couple of weeks, we're going to have daily Tutorials on Mail, Calendar, Notes, Reminders, etc., and I'm going to load him a few simple good apps like Weatherbug, etc. My first order of business will be to set up a larger font for him so he'll quit texting everyone in ALL CAPS. I've told him (gently) that it's considered shouting but he says he can see all caps better! Anyway, I'm thinking if I get him going and comfortable, then I can get him an iPad for his birthday in May and he'll find it works just like his phone. I know he has some rough days ahead and it would be a great distraction when he can't get out and about because of his health. Heck, he uses a laptop (if barely :rolleyes:) and the iPad will be so much simpler. Anyway, OP, you're doing a wonderful, generous thing for your mom and I'm sure she will love it and think of you when she's enjoying all the things you can do on it!:)

10. fel10 macrumors 68000

fel10

You are a great son. I'm sure she is going to enjoy her new gadget.

11. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

If a 2 year old can know how to use an iPad, I'm sure she can good use out of it.

Anyway, I just realized my dad is 67. Yikes. I keep forgetting I'm getting older and so is he. He uses his religiously. We got him an iPad 1 for his birthday a while ago. He's now planning to upgrade to the new iPad and possibly passing his to my mom.

Anyway, good for you. It's a good gift. Did you get the WiFi only or the WiFi + 3G? My dad has the 3G version since he uses it at work, but depends on the usage.

12. heyyitzmelissa macrumors 6502

Nothing says love like buying an out dated tablet to save money on the person who loved you and raised you unconditionally your entire life.

13. number84 macrumors 6502

i was thinking wouldn't the retina display be easier on the eyes for a 67 year old?

14. insimbi macrumors 6502

insimbi

Cool dude - that's a nice thing to do for your mom. :)

15. skorpien macrumors 68020

So, I take it you purchased the 64GB LTE iPad for your parents then?

Seriously? It's not like OP got her an HP TouchPad. The iPad 2 is still a great piece of technology. Obviously the OP was operating within a budget and figured for roughly the same price, they could go with twice the storage vs the increased resolution.

If you've nothing nice to say...

16. MykullMyerz macrumors 6502

MykullMyerz

Dude you're awesome. I'm not even as good a son as you; I only bought my mother a lowly Kindle Fire. Now, while she loves it to death, it's no iPad 2.

17. Virgo macrumors 6502

Virgo

I did the same thing for my mom who is 65 years old. She would never buy an iPad for herself and right now is using a crappy old laptop with dial up connection.

I got her the iPad 3 16gb because I thought the clearer the display the better for older folks. I want to send it to her right away but I'm forcing myself to wait until Mother's Day!

She used my iPad 2 last summer and seemed to enjoy it (especially going on google maps street view and looking up the places she's visited and used to live). It's the most expensive thing I've bought for someone and I'm really happy it's going to my mommy.

18. laurenr macrumors 6502a

The Ipad would be a fantastic idea for your Dad, especially because of the bigger screen. We bought one for my Mother-in-law when she was recuperating from surgery, and a very lengthy illness. She told us that it completely saved her sanity.

19. iggiepop macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted

My uncle bought my near 80 year old grandmother an iPad 2 about 4 months ago. She had never really used a computer or anything really up to that point.

We set her up with e-mail, some apps, and now she is a pro! She came over once and before I even gave her a little tutorial, I was absolutely amazed by what she already knew and could do with the system.

Unbelievable.

To the OP; your mom will love it!

20. mac.junkie macrumors member

mac.junkie

Awesome! What a cool thing to do for your mom. :)

21. batting1000 macrumors 604

22. jasg49 macrumors member

A year ago I got my 85 year old mom a 1st gen iPad. She is glued to it for email and Words with Friends. She loves that the screen is so much larger than her iPod Touch and says that her MacMini is acting neglected ;)

23. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

The only ones that don't "get it" are the ones that made up their minds before they even try one. You can hate it (opinion), but understanding the interface is intuitive as hell.

24. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

:rolleyes:

25. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Really?