just bought macbook c2d, if next macbook comes w/ i3, will i regret buying this one?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by matthew6, Feb 11, 2010.

1. matthew6 macrumors newbie

Hello all,

I just bought my new white uMB with the c2d processor. Currently, everyone is making a big fuss about the MBP's and the i5/i7 chips and how they will be so much better. After thinking about it, I realize that the next update for the uMB will probably be with the new i3 processors, since the MacBook is just their low end notebook. Since the last update was in October 2009, it is same to assume that there wont be another update for a couple more months.

IF the new updated macbook of the near future comes with the i3 processor, will I regret buying this current generation? Basically, would I have noticed any difference of speed in the two processors, if I am a college student and only using my Macbook for internet, facebook, emailing, papers in iwork, etc. No intensive apps.

Thanks for your input and sorry if this has been asked. I searched the forums and I could not find anything.

2. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

If you're thinking about regretting a purchase before you even make the purchase, you will definitely regret it.

3. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

You'll probably regret it but in terms of functionality, shouldn't phase you one bit. If you purchased a Core 2 Duo MacBook knowing that there could potentially be an i3/i5/i7 MacBook, MacBook Pro around the corner, obviously the Core 2 Duo meets your computing needs and should do just fine for now and even in the future.

4. kyzen macrumors regular

In the likely event that the i3 comes with an integrated Intel GPU, I'd think that the slight power advantage of the nVidia card, even an older integrated model, will almost negate any CPU boosts in power. Intel's integrated graphics have always been severely disappointing.

Of course, if there's an nVidia or ATI card involved, and not an Intel one, then yes, you'll regret it ;)

That all said, I'm picking up a current gen Macbook tomorrow from Microcenter for $800. I figure any minor boost in performance will be offset by the cost savings, and I'll pick up a MBP in a year or so after the next refresh (the refresh after the upcoming one :p).

5. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

For what you listed as the tasks the computer does, you'll never see the difference the core i3/5/7 would provide. In the apps you describe you'd get maybe 15-20% potential performance boosts, which is next to nothing for that sort of application (faster loading if anything). The major performance bumps with the new chips comes with multi-threaded apps like video editing/compression and that sort of deal.

6. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

You won't regret it. You might be able to tell a bit of a difference with an i5, but it looks like the i3 is essentially a c2d with a new name. I have a 2.4 Penryn c2d in mine, and have yet to find an application that gives it trouble.

7. MikeSantor macrumors regular

I agree, your doing homework on it. You will never see a difference between your C2D and an I series chip. Just enjoy your mac!

8. acurafan macrumors 6502a

you don't need an i3, you can write 'hello kitty' with a pen/paper. your uMB is fine.

9. mosx macrumors 65816

A Core 2 Duo with a GeForce 9400M will be much better than a Core i3 with Intel graphics. Case closed. Intel graphics are the worst of the worst, and we should all hope Apple has the sense to never go back down that road again. Even though Intel graphics are on the processor now, theres no excuse for them to not put a dedicated GPU in any Mac when you consider just how much more expensive Macs are than they should be.