Just bought MacBook Pro a Month ago - Have iLife 06 - question about 08 & iWork 08

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by NYU02, Aug 11, 2007.

1. NYU02 macrumors regular

Hi,
    I bought a Macbook Pro about a month ago and use iLife 06 all the time. Is it worth upgrading to 08? I mainly use iMovie & iWeb & iPhoto.

Also I currently use microsoft office 04 for all things work. Since I find anything apple does to be superior I was curious what people thought of numbers & how do people find keynote vs. Powerpoint? I have to use a PC for work and want to know if I can import excel files into numbers and keynote.

Thank you very much,
    NYU02

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Numbers is only for basic needs, it can import excel files.

Keynote is superior to powerpoint.

Pages is ok, some people love it but i find it lacking features.

From all accounts the new iMovie is rubbish.

iWeb and iPhoto both received some update features but i'm not sure if its worth upgrading. Can you go to an apple to play around with them to see if the things you do will be benefited by the new versions.

3. stealthsniper96 macrumors regular

4. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

NO, many people love it for its simplicity. I haven't made a movie with either iMovieHD or iMovie'08 so I cannot judge...

I love Pages (I use it alongside NeoOffice), and would use Keynote if I ever wanted to make a presentation.

5. 66217 Guest

If you are going to be exchanging a lot of files with PC users, then Office is the way to go.

Even more if what you use the most is Keynote, I have found that many times when exporting to PowerPoint many things change.
    And Numbers is OK, just OK. At least right now I find it extremely unstable. And I feel like it is missing some key features, but maybe I just need time to get used to it.

6. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

YES, I have used it and it is not a patch on the old iMovie, I think that apple released the old imovie as a download is a slight admission of their part. They took away many many features. The new iMovie should've been released as a totally new separate app. Definite step back. If i want to make a movie i will fire up iMovie HD rather than iMovie 08, before iMovie was a basic version of FCE but now it is just a basic app.