Just Bought My 1st Iphone Ever [Many Questions]

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ImFromLA, Sep 14, 2012.

1. ImFromLA macrumors newbie

I just bought my first Iphone ever [4S] & I have a lot of questiions for you guys.

First Question:

If I'm connected to my wifi network than I'm not using any of my data package gbs, right?

And whenever I'm not in the area of my wifi network & I use the internet than it'll use my gbs from my data package.

Or do I have to change it?

Second Question

If I download the garmin app does that use up any of the data package when I use that app?

Fourth Question

How can I see how much of my data I've used so I know when I'm getting close to 2gbs?

Fifth Question For Now

How come there's no ringtone thing in my Itunes?

thanks in advance

2. mytakeontech macrumors 6502a

See my responses.

3. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

First Question:

If I'm connected to my wifi network than I'm not using any of my data package gbs, right?
    Answer: If you're connected to Wi-Fi, you are not going to use any of your data plan. Data will travel over the Wi-Fi network. Though there may be a feature in iOS 6 that allows data to go over the cellular network if your Wi-Fi network is unusable (too slow, too weak signal etc), though it's all in your control. But yes, you're safe here.

And whenever I'm not in the area of my wifi network & I use the internet than it'll use my gbs from my data package.
    Answer: Correct. If you are not on Wi-Fi, you're going to use your data plan. The phone will handle all Wi-Fi connections automatically, as long as you connect to them as they're available.

Or do I have to change it?

Second Question

If I download the garmin app does that use up any of the data package when I use that app?

Answer: It all depends on which one you download. If the app has to download the maps, then YES it will. If the app has on-board maps, you aren't using any of your data package.

Fourth Question

How can I see how much of my data I've used so I know when I'm getting close to 2gbs?

Answer: What carrier? Most carriers allow you to check data usage in their respective "My Account" or "Account Management" apps.

Fifth Question For Now

How come there's no ringtone thing in my Itunes?

Answer: It'll be there as soon as you get your iPhone.

4. zachnelson macrumors 6502a

Why put so many line breaks?

If you are connected to a wireless access point then your phone will use the wireless access point Internet. If you are not, your phone will use the cellular data network, thus incurring data usage according to your plan.

I don't know how the garmin app works, but if it uses the Internet, it will incur data usage.

I have Verizon, so you can check on VerizonWireless.com using your account login or on the My Verizon app available from the app store. Also, Verizon sends you texts when you reach a certain percentage of data usage. I am sure AT&T does similar things.

5. lordromanov01 macrumors member

6. KieranDotW macrumors 6502a

Since no one seems to have answered this yet, Settings > General > Usage > Cellular Usage > Cellular Network Data

7. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Doesn't seem to be as accurate as using the carrier apps.

8. Cougarcat macrumors 604

I like using the very beautiful Consume to track data usage.

9. meganator, Sep 14, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2012

meganator macrumors member

Garmin uses data. Other apps download the maps and don't use data but they are much bigger, take up more space on your phone. Up to you which you prefer. But with ios6 turn by turn navigation is included in maps so I wouldn't spend the money on any Nav apps

Edit to fix autocorrect. Thanks iPad but garmin does not equal farming!

10. ImFromLA thread starter macrumors newbie

I synced my Iphone & still no ringtones option.

I downloaded the newest version of Itunes not that long ago.

----------

The maps app would use up the data package too, right?

11. zachnelson macrumors 6502a

Preferences panel, check "Tones"

Attached Files:

12. ImFromLA thread starter macrumors newbie

Tones was already checked

----------

Alright so once it's synced onto my Iphone than how can I make it my ringtone.

13. skywavesli macrumors regular

skywavesli

If you're using AT&T, you can also use the AT&T iPhone app to check your usage. I would guess that other carriers have this as well.

14. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

If you're on AT&T, you can also do this from the phone app keypad:

*DATA# and then push "call." You will then get a text with the usage.

You can also check minutes by doing

*MIN# and then pushing "call."

This information is best trusted 12-24 hours after the usage occurs.

15. ImFromLA thread starter macrumors newbie

Attention
    Alright so all my questions have been answered so don't worry about responding to my op.

I have another question for you guys though.

How do I turn my phone on silent/vibrate?

16. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Flip the switch on the side, and also Settings.app Sounds option to fine grain tweak the sounds and vibrate settings. In accessibility for custom vibration settings as well.

17. PhoenixMac macrumors 65816

The answer to the third question is 15, but only after the first 40 are consumed.