Just bought my iPhone 5 - couldn't wait..

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Grassgreen, Jul 16, 2013.

1. Grassgreen macrumors regular

So I succumbed to the lure of the iphone 5 and cant wait to get it.
    But I must ask; do you guys think the iphone 5 run the ios7 smoothly ? Because Im guessing the payment plan is going to be the same on the new iphone 5s, so basically I bought the 5 for the same price as the new 5s will cost. Can my mind rest assured that im not missing out that much for the next 12 months?

2. NotAdvisable macrumors regular

NotAdvisable

May I ask, why would you buy an iPhone 5 when it's going to be replaced within the next few months with a newer model?

3. Grassgreen thread starter macrumors regular

4. predation macrumors 6502a

he said he couldn't wait. OP, ios7 will run fine on the iphone 5.

I would have waited though. "s" versions hold better value in my book.

its like a 2nd year on a new car model... most of the kinks have been worked out with a "few" added features.

5. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

I can understand the desire not to wait. Enjoy your new phone!

6. jrm725 macrumors newbie

Because he wanted it. Whats the big deal? Not everyone NEEDS the absolute newest tech.

To OP, yes it will run smoothly on iP5. I have beta 3 on mine and it runs smooth as butter. Apple wouldn't risk showing off a brand new OS on outdated hardware and have something go wrong. No fear. It will and does run smooth on the 5. Just as ios6 ran smooth on iphone 4, when it was developed for the 4s.

7. tardman91 macrumors 6502a

tardman91

I got an iPhone 5 a couple of weeks ago also. I switched to T-Mobile. I was tired of paying Verizon so much money each month. My wife and I bought them outright and we're now saving $60 a month. If the 5S really knocks my socks off I'll sell my 5 and upgrade.

8. TWD98j macrumors regular

You should be happy with the 5, especially if you were coming from a 4 or earlier.

Personally, I am waiting for the 5S, as I am still on my 4S that I upgraded to on launch day back in October 2011. Although I am really eager to upgrade from my 4S for several reasons (battery doesn't hold up well anymore, tired of the small screen, etc), I would rather hold out another 3 or so months for the 5S.

As someone previously stated, the "S" models seem to hold up better over time. Even though the previous year's design is retained, the engineers at :apple: are given a chance to get the kinks out of the original design.

That said, hopefully they bow the 5S in August-September this year, rather than waiting until October like they did with the 4S.

9. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Exactly, nothing annoys me more than people who insist that tech just stops working as soon as a new model is released. Guess what folks, the 5S is ALREADY obsolete, get over it. OP - yes, your phone will run iOS7 without a problem, every iPhone I've owned has lasted at least 4 years in active use and are all still perfectly functional.

10. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Sure, not everyone needs the newest tech, but then why pay full price for an iPhone 5 now when the price will be cut substantially after the new model is released?

11. 3rd Rock macrumors 6502

One, you should have had the patience to wait just 2 1/2 months or so and the questions you asked could be answered with authority, not guesses from use that don't have a clue, except for iOS 7. Yes, it should run very well....

And to top it off as the above posted mentioned, the iphone 5 would cost even less when the iPhone 5S comes out, so you missed that one as well.

12. Namji macrumors 6502a

Namji

This is my thought as well..

To the OP, all retailers love customers like you :)
    Waiting a few months would have either given you the newer phone or saved you on the current one you have...

13. PharmDoc macrumors 6502

Enjoy your phone. I don't see why it wouldn't run ios7 smoothly. I really enjoy the 5, especially after I got it replaced for the battery life. I would have waited for the 5s if it was this close. BTW, did you use an upgrade or buy it outright?

14. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

I'm running the iOS 7 beta on my phone and, while it *is* a beta and does not necessarily reflect the final product accurately enough to form an opinion about it one way or the other, it runs phenomenally and I couldn't imagine going back to iOS 6 on my iPhone 5.

----------

For %**$& sake, why don't you take your pretentious, holier than thou mighty consumer god attitude somewhere else? He said he couldn't wait and wanted it now...why does he have to justify it to you? Honestly, these comments are so tiresome; it's really none of your business, fair enough? Oh, and :)

15. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I agree with your post, but...

The fact that he posted AT ALL is essentially a justification in and of itself...

He wanted the phone. He couldn't wait. He posted here. People's opinions (even those you deem unpopular) are to be expected on a board like this.

16. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

Well, then by that same logic they can expect some of us to get sick of it and respond accordingly. The OP asked a specific question about his new phone and the coupon hunters immediately descended to berate him for his unwise purchasing decision...seems uncouth to me.

17. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Uncouth or not, it's going to happen. :D

18. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I wouldn't say anyone here has "berated" the OP. You on the other hand seem to be taking this discussion *way* to seriously. This is the iPhone forum -- not the political forum. Maybe its time for you to take a break or something.

19. JarScott macrumors 68040

JarScott

The 5S will likely cost more than what you have just paid and yes, your phone will run iOS 7 fine.

20. cynics macrumors G3

You are the only person berating people here. Others are just offering opinions that you don't like.

----------

OP: Rest assured the iPhone 5 will be well within its lifespan in 12 months.

21. 3rd Rock macrumors 6502

This is just me. No one else.....

I would never post on any forum that I did not have patience, bought something, than as an after thought, asked if it would handle something smoothly. I would ask if it could first, would ask first if there is something I will miss within a period of time, than make the decision if a purchase now would be wise. Not after the purchase. I think that's called common sense, I do believe...:D

22. Retired Cat macrumors 65816

I think it's reasonable depending on situation.

I bought my 5 only two months ago, knowing that a 5S was on the way. But my 3.5 year old flip phone was having power socket issues and I didn't want to wait until it was toast before replacing it.

The 5, being a few months old, also seemed to have its issues worked out.

23. BigMac25 macrumors newbie

I could not wait any longer either and got the iP5 last Saturday and love it! I recently got a new job and the city I will be working and living has horrible service for Sprint (0-1 bars in a 100k population city) and the old android phone I was using was not even usable. Tmobile has excellent coverage for LTE in that area so it was a no brainer. I was trying to wait for the 5s but with not having a phone at all I had no choice. I signed up for the Jump program so when the 5S comes out I'll upgrade to that and then cancel it cause I don't need to upgrade every 6 months and will just buy it out and sell it outright if I ever do want to upgrade. I love my imac, ipad, iphone apple setup!

24. MaxinMusicCity macrumors regular

I've been tolerating an HTC Thunderbolt for two years and it's now sluggish and occasionally erratic even after clearing it out. The last update really taxed its CPU. I was going to iPhone before, but Apple was dragging it's feet on 4G LTE at the time.

So now I'm looking wistfully at that iPhone 5 knowing the 5s is on its way. I'm doing my level best to hold out...but I'm getting weaker..and weaker...LOL :)

25. maxosx macrumors 68020

Buying when the time is right for you is very important. Newer is not always better, and the iPhone 5 is a good phone. It's highly unlikely that the new model will be any different than the current one except for that creepy fingerprint reader. Personally I'm very put off by it. Not because I'm paranoid but just because there's so many other things that Apple could be doing to improve the phone. They've avoided putting a fingerprint reader on their MacBooks for years. That's where I'd like to see one. I've had a fingerprint reader on every new ThinkPad I've upgraded to for years, it's interesting that Apple has avoided them for so long, but suddenly it's going to appear on the iPhone.