Just bought my iphone from New York to use in the UK

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nwlondonlad, Oct 12, 2007.

1. nwlondonlad macrumors 6502a

nwlondonlad

Just got back from New York and just could not resist the urge to buy an unlocked Iphone. The version 1.1.1 software almost put me off due to the bricking incidents with locked iphones. I initially bought an ipod touch and played with that for the first few days but could not stop thinking how better it would be if i could get an iphone instead.

After a few days of checking around, i finally stumbled across a few mobile shops in Times square that were actually selling unlocked iphones :eek: I was truly shocked and within 24hrs i had returned my ipod touch received my money back and proceeded to times square where i paid for an 8gig unlocked iphone. It was brand new with everything intact and the sales man even offered me a free demonstration with my UK o2 and USA tmobile Sim. They just gave me the usual warning of not to update to 1.1.1. They had even installed the app tap application software on it which i have been uisng to download games and free ringtones ever since.
    First impressions? fantastic, its everything i thought it would be and more. However there were one or two things i was a bit shocked by. First of all you can't transfer videos and music from your itunes account the way you regularly do with an ipod i.e you cant drop and drag. What you have to do is make playlists on your iphone then sync them which can prove annoying and time consuming. It sort of works on the same principle as as syncing pictures from a standard ipod. tick box tick sync.
    The second thing is the poor calling quality in terms of volume, its really low and you have to be in a very quiet place to hear what the other person on the other end is saying. I'm aware that 1.1.1 should take of this, however if your in my situation then an alternative is to use the earphone/headpiece which improves the volume by about 80%.
    I'm currently using mine on T-mobile pay as you go but have just ordered an orange pay monthly Sim card. The wifi is wonderful and i just found the tmobile gprs settings which works but is damn slow. Oh yeah it does not work with the 3 network but that was to be expected. Will only sync with one Pc like the nano's
    I was gonna wait till Nov 9th and get one from O2 but there is no way I'm sticking with them for 18 months with those lousy tariffs they are offering. No offence to the rest of you waiting though.:)

2. redgaz26 macrumors 68020

redgaz26

glad you like your phone, but the minute something goes wrong with it your doomed!!!!!!!!!
    for all I want one "now" I'm waiting, i want to walk in to the apple store if anything's wrong and not have to worry about what they'll say.
    it might be on an 18 month contract but if the phones as good as i think it will be i'll never need to switch again.
    4 weeks to go it's getting close.
    ps. what's with this 6.02pm release?

3. sananda macrumors 68020

i suspect nwlondonlad will be happy to take his chances as to anything going wrong since he has not had to commit to paying o2 £630.

4. Hellenek macrumors member

Interesting. How much was the unlocked phone? Any screen issues?

5. redgaz26 macrumors 68020

redgaz26

anyone who signs a mobile phone contract commit's there self to paying the tarrifs every month, why is it any different for an iphone?

6. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

Glad you like it, but like redgaz26, I'm going to wait as well, for the same reasons stated.

I want peace of mind and all the updates as and when they become available.

Having said that it is pure torture having to wait. 28 days to go!

7. sananda macrumors 68020

nwlondonlad hasn't signed a contract at all. he has put in a t-mobile pay as you go card. and has ordered, as far as i can tell, an orange sim only pack.

8. klaus macrumors 6502a

klaus

Regarding the volume problem : this was addressed in 1.1.1 but I guess this is not an option :)

9. redgaz26 macrumors 68020

redgaz26

torture it is!!!!!!!!
    i wish i could got to sleep for a few weeks lol!!!!!!!!!!!!
    hopefully it will be worth the wait

10. metoo6000 macrumors regular

I will buy two, one for my partner with £35 tariff (or PAYG) and one for myself with PAYG (or unlock). I also wait for the D-day to maximise my desire even though I might unlock and hacking it as much as I can. :D

28 days 5 hours and 48 minutes to go!!

If you use Windogz.... just push 'Hibernate' button. :D

11. nwlondonlad thread starter macrumors 6502a

nwlondonlad

It cost me $550 including tax. I could have got it for $400 from apple but did not want the hassle of unlocking it so paid the extra £100 for the privilege.
    No screen issues at all. The third party applications are fantastic, Ive just added a dictionary, thesaurus, hot spot finder and lots more.
    It would have been foolish for me to have gone with O2 cos i live in a basement flat that has really bad signal for vodafone and O2. Besides i find it very hard to accept that you have to be tied down to an 18 Month contract for a phone which you will have to cough out £270 for.

12. nwlondonlad thread starter macrumors 6502a

nwlondonlad

Thanks Samanda,
    I weighed the pros and cons before buying it and yes if something goes wrong i can't go crying to Apple. One of the main reasons why i bought the iphone was cos i happened to be in new York at the time and the temptation was too much with the billboards and posters. The fact that its not due to be released in the UK till Nov 9th only made matters worse.
    For me its a win win situation, I cant use O2 even if they were offering a millions minutes for £10 a month cos i get bad signal. Furthermore i doubt I'll be using this iphone for such a long period cos as soon as Apple comes out with a 3G version, I'll probably want that one too. :D

13. metoo6000 macrumors regular

14. redgaz26 macrumors 68020

redgaz26

thanks metoo!
    at least there's a few options, but just to be there on the day I think it's the apple store for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    see you there!

15. metoo6000 macrumors regular

Argh... you didn't take my poisoned :apple:. :)
    My mission (to reduce a queue) has failed. :D

16. redgaz26 macrumors 68020

redgaz26

Lol!!!
    i work round the corner from the store, the moment i see a queue i'm there

17. RossoA macrumors 6502

RossoA

6 "O2" get it?

Yeah, it's crap.:rolleyes:

18. redgaz26 macrumors 68020

redgaz26

god i'm thick!!!!!!!!