Just bought retina macbook! My little review and why i choose the base model

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Soulweaponry, Feb 1, 2013.

1. Soulweaponry macrumors 6502

I actually made another thread over here about what configuration i should get with the ssd and got such great responses, i thought i'd make this post about my first impressions and why i choose what i choose.

I did alot of reading over the past couple days about ram and ssd and external storage options and needs for "future proofing" and all that. ALOT. My brain is literally so tired of reading i feel like typing this with my eyes closed. And after alot of thought and debating this and that, i decided that for my needs, i would go with the base retina macbook.

Initially, i was gonna go with a bto 512 gig ssd 16 gig ram monster, but the more i read and the more i thought about it i realized i just don't need it and that paying extra money to "future proof" myself with ram was utterly ridiculous. By the time i'd actually need 16 gigs of ram (say 4 years), the other parts of my computer like the gpu and processor would be so far out dated for the things that would require that extra ram that i'd end up getting a new macbook anyway. And that's even assuming my needs will have changed by then and that things i do in 4 yrs would actually require that much ram.

I know there are people right NOW that need a ton of ram for the stuff they're doing, so i can see where they're getting at with "future proofing". They see their needs and are trying to look out for the rest of us by telling us "just to be safe, spend the extra mooolah". But for most of us that don't use our laptops for our profession, for graphics intensive 3d modeling or video editing on a large scale or even having 10 or 20 safari tabs open, getting the extra ram is just overkill and spending money for the sake of spending money. It's a waste. Ya know...i actually hate saying "most of us" because it sounds like such an absolute and i hate generalizing large groups of people with only how i feel about it, but it's just my opinion after using it and talking to ALOT of people about it.

And the 256 seemed small, until i realized most of the space I'm taking up on my existing macbook is from itunes movies i've bought just recently. Why am i storing them all when i can either watch them through the cloud on my Apple TV (or iTunes) or store it externally? Like i'm gonna pay $500 extra for the opportunity to store movies i've bought? On only 256 extra when i could have 3tb or more externally? I...am so glad i read as much as i did. I would've spent (after tax) about $3200 and i only ended up spending (for my needs) about $2400. I almost spent an extra $800 for "future proofing". Can't believe it. I could've saved that $800 and combined it with what i'll sell my mac someday and bought an entirely new macbook with updated specs. Crazy.

Let's just say i buy a 2tb time capsule now and save the rest. That's $500 left. How much could i sell a retina macbook in a few years? Hard to say. No doubt there will be keynote one of these days where apple says something like "we believe the retina line of macbooks are the future and we want to make it accessible to everyone" and they show the little graphic on the wall behind them of the mac with the prices and slide the old pros out of the way and the new retinas into the old price points and boom. Retina macbooks are cheaper, therefore lowering resale value a bit. But still. I could easily get a grand for my 2012 retina and adding the $500 i originally saved, that's $1500. Assuming the new one is $1800, i'd only spend $300 and get updated processor cpu and gpu and even more ram (and ssd prices will probably come down with storage going up). So value wise, "future proofing" just didn't make sense to me.

The quick review: I had high expectations for the retina macbook and even with those high expectations, when i got it, they were blown away. The screen makes such a huge difference and ahhhh it's so thin and fast. One of the things i didn't expect to be impressed about that actually impressed me was the speakers. WOW. These sound so much better than anything i could have expected out of a laptop. Why does nobody mention this?

Ram wise, i have final cut open, safari and itunes and have more than half my ram left. So i feel like i made a good decision. Only thing that confused me was this

[​IMG]

600 megs in video? 400 in photos? I JUST got this and haven't loaded anything onto it! What the freaking freak! Is this sytem files or something? I would've assumed that would go in "other".

In conclusion: i never thought i could love a laptop so much. DAMN

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

The videos, movies and music you see are found in iLife. iMovie has small premade movies which you just fill in. Not to mention all the photographic themes in iPhoto.

3. agaskew macrumors 6502

Enjoy it my friend, don't lurk around here too much reading threads from the OCD whiners ;)

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

For me the rMBP has been the best laptop I've owned by far. I've been a Mac laptop user since the G4 Powerbook and on the rMBP apple has hit it out of the park.

I too thought the 256GB SSD may be too small but so far that hasn't been a problem for me. I've had to adjust some of my habits, in that I keep only a single year LightRoom catalog on my drive and the prior year's is now on my NAS unit. All in all I couldn't justify the exorbitant price for the 512GB SSD.

funny how we're talking about about 256GB being big enough and the first hard drive I purchased for my computer 10 megabytes :eek:

5. walkie, Feb 2, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2013

walkie macrumors 6502

This is one of the best threads I have read about storage choices, I agree this post 100%, when I was setting up my BTO rMBP (still waiting for it to arrive), I realized that most of my work, apps and day by day files was taking up only around 30% in my old iMac with 500gb, so I chose the 256gb option and saved up 500€, the rest of the files: movies, pictures, videos are being stored on a 2T external USB HD along with OSX backup. I realized that the thousands of photos I've taken during these years were taking up too much space on my hard drive, I don't need them on a mobile computer, If I take a flight I won't be looking at thousand of pictures or thousand of videos on a plane, that's ridiculous, I'd rather select a bunch of the best ones and take them with me, the rest of them can stay on my external drive at home, the same applies for movies: in a typical flight you don't need your entire movie gallery because you won't be able to see them all. In a near future if I see I'm running out of space on my SSD on my day by day files I will upgrade with a OEM Samsung when SSD's prices drop.

6. walkie macrumors 6502

This is the web browser cache, if you have being browsing the Internet, the web browser saves some files into the hard drive from web pages including photos and videos, so the next time you visit again those same pages they will load lighting faster since you have some files already stored in your local hard drive.

7. snorkelman macrumors 6502a

snorkelman

personally I wouldn't bother future proofing.

by time you've reached 2017 with an '800 bucks-extra, premium BTO 2012 model' that you've nursed along to reach four years, you'll still be looking at selling it for at least 400 bucks less than whatever the 2017 base model comes in at, to get any real interest in it from buyers.

Overall by 2017 thats 1200 bucks out of your pocket over and above cost of 2012 base model.

Instead upgrade annually.

when 2013 refresh comes along, stick the 2012 up for sale at 400 bucks less than the new 2013 base machine comes in at, should sell pretty quickly if you move quickly and get it advertised soon as the 2013 is released.

Repeat each year.

Granted over the 4 years that annual update 400 dollar hit means you'll have laid out 1600 bucks extra overall (versus the 1200 hit above).

But that 100 bucks a year more means you're always sitting with a shiny new machine that's less than a year old, you're always in warranty, you dont need to bother with premium speced BTO's and you don't need a crystal ball to ensure you've got a snappy machine in 2015 or 2016.

8. swerve147 macrumors 6502a

swerve147

Not to mention that base rMBPs are easy to swap out if anything goes wrong. If something goes wrong with a BTO and it can't be easily fixed by a Genius at the Apple Store, it gets sent out to be repaired and you're stuck waiting.

There's a reason Apple chose to go with 8GB RAM/256 SSD as the base in a sealed, non-upgradable form factor. It is most certainly the sweet spot for almost everyone for a 4 year lifespan. I think people underestimate the thought process the engineers went through, putting together the components in the rMBP.

For example, many say soldered-in RAM is a bad idea because you can't upgrade it and it was all done just to make the notebook thinner, but then you read this, and then it makes sense.

9. Valkyre macrumors 6502

enjoy your rmbp my friend!

I also went for the base rmbp 15 inch and I also think that for what you get, it is b y FAR the best value for money from the entire macbook lineup altogether!

I am extremely satisfied so far!

10. Soulweaponry thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the link! Thats something, in all the reading about it i've done, haven't heard about. And if we're talking about trying to make a notebook with the best performance possible, this makes sense. I think people assumed apple was just trying to rip people off and charge insane prices for higher ram upgrades, but apple has reasons for alot of things they do.