Just bought the 6! How "future proof" is it?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AverageBob, Oct 7, 2014.

1. AverageBob macrumors member

I ended up buying the 6 64GB but I'm still concerned about RAM. I know it isn't a problem right now but do you guys think the phone will run smoothly on IOS 9 or even 10 when they come out?

I'm worried the 6S will have added RAM so the next versions of IOS will be designed for that and not run well on the 6.

2. chrise2 macrumors 6502

Your phone will be awesome until September of next year. Then Apple will brainwash you into thinking your phone is a useless pile of garbage and you need to get the 6s when in reality, the phone will be fine for 3-4 years. Who cares if you can't run iOS 11 on the iPhone 6? It will still be able to check mail and surf the web.

3. myscrnnm macrumors 65816

myscrnnm

I don't get why people think that Apple "brainwashes" consumers into thinking their iPhones they got last year are suddenly outdated when they come out with a newer model. Yes, they do put a lot of emphasis on what's new, but that's a given. But they continue to offer firmware updates for older phones so that they can get many of the same features. The buyers are the ones who trick themselves into thinking that they absolutely have to get a new phone every year.

4. metsjetsfan macrumors 65816

you should be good for 2-3 yrs max like any other phone. if you dont play graphic intensive games maybe closer to 3.

A8 20nm process is very far ahead. only phone with 20nm so far according to many sites.

also they shld open up NFC in ios9 so youll have that.

5. MassiveAttack macrumors 6502a

6. AverageBob thread starter macrumors member

I know the processor is top notch. I'm just concerned about only 1GB RAM. I NEVER play any games though I only browse and text.

7. 617aircav Suspended

8. Gincoma macrumors 6502

Im waiting for the 6s plus with 2 gigs of ram :)

9. pullfocus macrumors 65816

pullfocus

10. AverageBob thread starter macrumors member

Your 6S will have 2GB of RAM but its design will be outdated in only a year :D

11. eelw macrumors 6502a

eelw

Well for single apps, I don't see issues with performance due to lack of RAM at all for next several years. Even the 4S runs current games without issues. But when the iPhone 8 offers split screen multitasking like the Note, then yeah the 6 will look slow in comparison.

12. powerstrokin macrumors 6502a

powerstrokin

I'd say it's as future proof as any other model. IE: for most people it will be good to go for AT LEAST a couple years, easy.

Some people like to upgrade a lot, and some don't upgrade very often at all. Just enjoy your phone until it no longer does what you want or till you want a new one. Pretty simple.

If you were always wanting to hold out till the very best electronic device came out that wouldn't be replaced.... well.. that's just not how it works my man.

13. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Apple marketing helps the users make up their minds. ;) it's the best in the business!!

It probably comes down to the next model having a new feature that people must have.

Though you nailed it, apple fans tend to be vain, and must have the latest version, and they connivence themselves.

14. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

I'd say you can usually update your OS on your iPhone once... after that you are asking for lag/battery issues.

You could always just... *gasp* ... keep it on iOS 8 if you are worried about future versions :eek:

I'm keeping my 5s on iOS 7 until it no longer works, hopefully 4-5 years, in order to keep the performance lag free.

15. accountforit macrumors 6502a

All phones seem slower with every new iteration of the OS. Tons of RAM, or not.

16. xmichaelp macrumors 68000

xmichaelp

17. ag29 macrumors 6502

Minor upgrades are once a year

Major upgrades are once every 2 years.

You are safe for the next 2 years.

18. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

19. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

All depends on what you use your phone for.

For an average user it's good for many years.

If you game on it, each new phone gets around 25% or so gain in terms if CPU/gpu .

You will upgrade your phone before iOS support runs out for it. Apple will entice you with a lot of new features in the future that will not be available on the 6.

20. xmichaelp macrumors 68000

xmichaelp

Is this true? Interesting..

21. theMaccer macrumors 6502a

theMaccer

dont update your iOS, and you will be fine for 3-4 years.

22. Gincoma macrumors 6502

I only really care about the internals vs the design aspect. I dont really like the design of the 6 but im still getting the 6s plus

23. koban4max macrumors 68000

it will run nicely till the phone gets bent out of shape....pun intended.

24. Solver macrumors 6502a

Not future proof.
    These older iPhones will never have the wireless cerebral interface chip feature present in the future iPhones. :D