Just bought used 3Gs, want to associate my iTunes account

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by nightfly13, Feb 26, 2010.

1. nightfly13 macrumors 6502a

nightfly13

So after what felt like eons, I finally went from an 8gb 2G iPhone to a 32GB 3Gs. Since I live most of the year outside the US, I bought it used via craigslist ($500 if you're curious, 3 months old).

My nephew 'tested' it for me for a week or two before my parents brought it to me here in India. When I plugged it into my Mac for the first time it asked me if I wanted to restore - I did so and all settings and address book have come across. But the music and apps are not syncing. I guess it's still associated with a previous owners' iTunes (probably my nephew's). How do I overcome this?

Thanks macrumors collective!

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Do a full restore registering it as a new iPhone.

3. nightfly13 thread starter macrumors 6502a

nightfly13

Well I've downloaded original but slightly older firmware but iTunes tells me 'The iPhone "xx" could not be restored. This deice isn't eligible for the requested build.'

It seems to really want me to only update with the current (currently unbreakable) version.

The firmware I downloaded was: http://appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite...91008.phn32/iPhone2,1_3.1.2_7D11_Restore.ipsw

Should I unplug my Internet and try again? It tried to contact Apple to let it go through. Should I rename the firmware file name to 3.1.3 (instead of 3.1.2) to try to trick it? Or go into DFU mode or something?

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It wont let you restore to anything but the latest 3.1.3 version unless the previous owner had his SHSH's saved thru cydia.
    Follow this to see if he did.
    http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=7556

If not I would leave it the way he has it at 3.1.2 and just sync it with your library erasing all his stuff.

5. nightfly13 thread starter macrumors 6502a

nightfly13

How do I delete his stuff? I've gone through that page and edited the hosts file and tried to restore from DFU and got the same error message.

I basically just want MY apps and music and I'm happy with the functionality of the phone. Curious to me that the iTunes stuff is so separate from the rest of the phone/address book/email etc functions which are sync'd nicely.

Thanks for the help guys!

6. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Perhaps the iPhone is set to manually manage music and videos. Look around the "general info" tab for the iPhone in iTunes. There should be a checkbox to toggle that on or off.

7. nightfly13 thread starter macrumors 6502a

nightfly13

Thanks for the suggestions. I've tried to click and unclick almost every setting. Everything seems to sync fine but when it comes time to sync the apps or songs it just spins the sync icon for a sec and then says it's done - but it hasn't actually sync'd anything associated with an iTunes account.

It's running 3.1.2 and jailbroken, so I'm happy with that, but I can't play my games on the 3Gs! When I tell it to 'transfer purchases' that means from iPhone to iTunes - and then it gives an error message which makes sense. But I want to transfer my iTunes stuff to the iPhone...

Help appreciated! I know we can do it, macrumors collective!

8. nightfly13 thread starter macrumors 6502a

nightfly13

OOOOh some progress. Once I clicked the arrow next to the iPhone name and it expanded to show what's on the phone in greater detail, I could delete stuff that way. Before the arrow wouldn't expand - curiously. Anyway I think the issue might have been that it was full so it didn't want to add any of my stuff, but it was still going through the motions really quickly and canceling until I told it to not sync 'Apps' and now it's copying music over as I type this, and it removed the apps that I'd manually X'd out in the iPhone itself.

Closer and closer.. but surprisingly tricky and unApple-experience.