Just bought wife a series 1 AW and....

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by mag2001, Feb 12, 2017.

1. mag2001 macrumors 6502

what are the must have accessories for it? Do I need to get a screen protector or bumper and is Apple care a good investment?

2. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Series 1 uses Ion-X Glass. It's similar to the iPhone screen. Some have said it's fairly scratch resistant and others have said it scratches easily. If you're worried about damage to the screen or are accident prone, then a screen protector would suffice.

I don't think a bumper is necessary. The 7000 Series aluminum holds up well against scratches. It's the same aluminum used on the iPhone.

Accessories really depend on bands. Which have plenty available.

3. FrisbeeK9 macrumors 6502a

FrisbeeK9

I would also tag onto "Relentless Power" and suggest if you have the money, AppleCare+ is a good idea.

4. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

A wrist is step one.

5. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Good point. Especially if you're accident prone, AppleCare pays for itself and is worth it. Albeit, I never required it for any of my Apple purchases. Fortunately.

6. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

I have seen some photos about Ion-X Glass cracked easy. Cost $200 to repair at Apple Store if you don't have Apple Care. So better to buy screen protector to be safe.

7. andrewface, Feb 16, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2017

andrewface macrumors 6502

andrewface

add me to the list of people that says the glass is very scratch resistant. I have worn it for 2 months straight now (at the gym three times weekly) without any issues. I take care of my watch but I haven't been overly cautious or anything.

8. Painter2002 macrumors 6502a

Painter2002

Well played. Lol.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 24, 2018 ---
    I would suggest just getting AppleCare, its only $50 and covers accidental damage (for a small deductible) for broken screens. IMO the screen protectors detract from the look and feel of the watch significantly. As a rule of thumb, just use common-sense when doing tasks that might expose that might break the watch, like if you are going to work on the car or use a hammer, might want to take the watch off.

9. Lennyvalentin macrumors 65816

Lennyvalentin

Common sense is good, yeah. I myself have basically never taken my OG watch off for anything (other than when showering) and in nearly 3 years haven't cracked or significantly scratched the screen or anything like that. Of course, I don't juggle engine parts on a regular basis or anything like that (wrestle with pigs etc...), so that probably helps too. :)

Apple uses pretty much the strongest glass available on the market, but seeing as that's a relative term (kind of like "the strongest banana"), some care and diligence is still recommended if one wants to keep their personal possessions in good condition. Of course, accidents/s*** can always happen no matter how careful one is, but that's life. There's no protecting against the unforeseen...

10. mikzn macrumors 6502a

mikzn

I guess if a purchaser is "Accident Prone" it is like insurance for self damaged items and worth it if apple does not put road blocks up to prevent claims etc. My personal experience is that it is totally frustrating to go thought the hoops and hurdles to qualify for the "Apple Care" and scheduling appointments with "Apple Genuises" just to have them agree to meet and begin the "Claim Process"

If you have purchased apple care and never had to go through the "Process" you are blissfully unaware of that part.

I find 3rd party repair service providers much more helpful and are more knowledgeable

11. Painter2002 macrumors 6502a

Painter2002

I’ve used AppleCare for a claim before (hardware issue), and had no issues. Sorry to hear you had a bad experience. My thing is if you already are frustrated with something being broken, then you find out the repair is $200 for replacing a simple piece of glass, likely that’ll ruin your experience altogether. I don’t always trust 3rd party warranty programs but that’s just me.

12. mikzn macrumors 6502a

mikzn

Fair Enough - most of my customer service issues with apple are with Desktops and MBP's - enough that I will never buy apple care - but that is just my experience and I stopped buying apple care before iPhone 3

That being said, most of the 3rd party repair services around my area are awesome and get no support from apple - for example had an iPhone 6 broken screen - no appointment - took it to the 3rd party for an opinion and 20 min later had a new screen - awesome IMHO

That's just me

13. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

As another poster mentioned, I have never had any issues with AppleCare in the past. I thought the process was seamless without having to visit a store/make appointments, where I could send my defective device in and have a replacement sent back with in a few business days. I think there is a reason why Apple has highly rated customer service for concerns like that.

I would have to disagree with this. Maybe for your experience, but I would rather much of Apple service the product and use OEM parts. Apples technicians are trained, I know the service I’m receiving and they will stand behind the work completed. I don’t also have to question the parts that they are using to replace the Product. Obviously your experience may very depending on the product you are having serviced and who you trust, but there of been some unfortunate situations for others on these forums using third-party services.